The Martian - Movie - The bubble

In summary, the conversation is about the movie and book "The Martian" and a question about the physics discussed in the movie. The person mentions that they will read the book soon and asks for opinions on the physics in the movie, specifically about NASA's decision to cut a hole in the rover and cover it with a plastic foil bubble. They also ask for alternative ideas and express confusion over the decision. Another person suggests colonizing Antarctica instead and provides information from the book explaining the reason for the modifications to the rover. The link to a Reddit discussion also addresses the issue and mentions that the film did not accurately depict this part. The conversation ends with a question about why the hole was placed on the roof in the movie. In summary, the
Omega0
Hi,
I love the movie "The Marsian". I did not start reading the book (I'll do soon).
What do you think about discussing the physics?
I am wondering why the NASA in the end suggested to cut a hole in the rover and to build that plastic foil bubble on top.
There must be a really good reason to try to hold around dp=1bar with a foil...
Any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
Did you see an alternative?

Simon Bridge said:
Why not to leave it as it was? Shielded without destroying the hull? I really missed the point, sorry...

Omega0 said:
Why not to leave it as it was? Shielded without destroying the hull? I really missed the point, sorry...
Is it simply to warm in the day and okay in the night to calm the body down?

Simon Bridge said:

Sure. Colonize Antarctica instead.

The hole and tent above it was so that Mark could stand up in the rover, to stretch his legs without getting into his space suit. It gave the illusion of space in an area the size of Chevrolet Cruze.

And the book is free online, google for it. It's much better than the movie because he has time to explain what's going on. You only get about 15% of the book from the movie.

Take off the forward part of the shuttle, and seal it with the canvas, that was the most strange to me.
How could they think seriously, that it won't cause trouble, even if the air is thin??

The question asked was: "why ... cut a hole in the rover and ... build that plastic foil bubble on top?"
The answer off the link, quoting the book, is:

"I need to modify the rover to carry the Atmospheric Regulator, Oxygenator, and Water Reclaimer. I call them “The Big Three”. All three need to be in the pressurized area, but the rover isn't big enough. [...] I'll have to make structural changes to that trailer. And by “structural changes” I mean “cut a big hole in the hull.” Then I can move the Big Three in and use Hab canvas to loosely cover the hole. It'll balloon out when I pressurize the rover, but it'll hold."

Notice how this explicitly talks about the hole.
ie. He makes the modifications because the rover is not big enough otherwise.
The link also discusses how the movie did this part badly. Ie. In the book there are two rovers and one gets used as a trailer.
Omega0 said:
As the above quote makes clear, there was not enough room as it was.
The link discusses the way the film fails at this part though ... so it was likely that there was also a filmaking decision behind the on-screen result.

Last edited:
That hole was in the side of the rover, IIRC. The script writer put it on the roof because that was a convenient flat spot. In the book Mark didn't have a crane so he'd be unlike to chose the roof as the entry point. I also remember that the tent was attached so he could go into it from the rover without wearing his suit. A roof installation for that would have been ... awkward.

Related to The Martian - Movie - The bubble

1. What is the "bubble" in The Martian movie?

The "bubble" in The Martian movie refers to the Hab, short for Habitation, which is the main living and working area for astronaut Mark Watney on Mars. It is a dome-shaped structure that provides a pressurized environment for Watney to grow food and conduct experiments.

2. How was the bubble created on the Martian surface?

The bubble, or Hab, was created by NASA using inflatable technology. It is made of a strong fabric material that is inflated and then pressurized to create a habitable space for the astronaut. This technology is currently being developed for potential use on future human missions to Mars.

3. How does the bubble protect Mark Watney from the harsh Martian environment?

The bubble, or Hab, is pressurized and has a layer of insulation to protect Watney from the extreme temperatures and radiation on Mars. It also has an airlock system to prevent dust and other contaminants from entering the habitat. Additionally, Watney wears a spacesuit when venturing outside of the Hab for further protection.

4. Can the bubble sustain life on Mars?

Yes, the bubble, or Hab, is designed to sustain life on Mars for a limited period of time. It provides a pressurized environment for Watney to grow food, recycle water, and conduct experiments. However, it is not a long-term solution and is meant to be used until a more permanent habitat can be established on the red planet.

5. What happens if the bubble is damaged or destroyed on Mars?

If the bubble, or Hab, is damaged or destroyed on Mars, Watney's life would be in danger as he would no longer have a pressurized environment to live in. In the movie, Watney faces this scenario and must use his skills and resourcefulness to survive until he can find a way to contact Earth for help.