The male mind, or what men really think about

• Thread starter Zantra
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mind
In summary, the man's brain releases less of the primary bonding chemicals oxytocin and serotonin, and he needs the remote control to zap through "mindless" sport or action movies to relax. His brain takes in less sensory detail than a woman's, so he doesn't see or feel the dust and household mess in the same way. He attaches less personal identity to the inside of a home and more to the workplace or the yard, so he doesn't
Originally posted by Zantra
Oh and I liked both the mens and women's jokes too! keep it up
Thanks, Zantra. I just cannot take life too seriously - if I did, I'd have to be institutionalized! Well, maybe I need that anyway, but...
I was thinking about this and, it's occurred to me more than once that, really, we all kind of want to be taken care of! Men - SORT OF like Mommy did (love and nurture, cook yummy dinners, take care of our clothes, keep the home fires burning...), and women - SORT OF like Daddy did (love and cuddle, protect, bring home the bacon, chop the wood to keep the home fires burning...)! I think that's just basic man/woman nature. It's built in. Inherent. Ponder it for a bit and tell me what y'all think.

Physics news on Phys.org
What women really mean

At long last... The Men's Guide to what a woman really means when she says something. Pay close attention (there might be a quiz later).

* You want = You want

* We need = I want

* It's your decision = The correct decision should be obvious by now.

* Do what you want = You'll pay for this later.

* We need to talk = I need to complain

* Sure... go ahead = I don't want you to.

* I'm not upset = Of course I'm upset, you moron!

* You're ... so manly = You need a shave and you sweat a lot.

* You're certainly attentive tonight. = Is sex all you ever think about?

* I'm not emotional! And I'm not overreacting! = I'm on my period.

* Be romantic, turn out the lights. = I have flabby thighs.

* This kitchen is so inconvenient = I want a new house.

* I want new curtains = and carpeting, and furniture, and wallpaper...

* I need wedding shoes = the other 40 pairs are the wrong shade of white.

* Hang the picture there = NO, I mean hang it there!

* I heard a noise = I noticed you were almost asleep.

* Do you love me? = I'm going to ask for something expensive.

* How much do you love me? = I did something today you're really not going to like.

* I'll be ready in a minute. = Kick off your shoes and find a good game on T.V.

* Is my butt fat? = Tell me I'm beautiful.

* You have to learn to communicate. = Just agree with me.

* Are you listening to me!? = [Too late, you're dead.]

* Yes = No

* No = No

* Maybe = No

* I'm sorry. = You'll be sorry.

* Do you like this recipe? = It's easy to fix, so you'd better get used to it.

* I'm not yelling! = Yes I am yelling because I think this is important.

* All we're going to buy is a soap dish = It goes without saying that we're stopping at the cosmetics department, the shoe department, I need to look at a few new pocket books, and OMIGOD those pink sheets would look great in the bedroom and did you bring your checkbook?

(THE ANSWER TO "WHAT'S WRONG?")

* The same old thing = Nothing

* Nothing = Everything

* Everything = My PMS is acting up

* Nothing, really = It's just that you're such a jerk

* I don't want to talk about it = Go away, I'm still building up steam

Likes gracy
haha, i think this is a great thread yall have going here. I personally like the whole battle of the sexes thing. no sex can really win anyways, it's like apples and oranges, but its still fun battling it out. Its even more fun watching you people, who i respect and think of as intelligent adults, going at it.

My personal opinion: Men are playthings. Meant to be toyed with, teased, and used for pleasure. If they aren't pleasing, get rid of him, one women's trash is another's treasure. Sex is the easiest way to control any man, and every man can be controlled by sex. It doesn't matter if a guy has a mind, more often than not, he won't use it. When he does happen to use it, its a completely different ball game.

Originally posted by Gale17
haha, i think this is a great thread yall have going here. I personally like the whole battle of the sexes thing. no sex can really win anyways, it's like apples and oranges, but its still fun battling it out. Its even more fun watching you people, who i respect and think of as intelligent adults, going at it.

My personal opinion: Men are playthings. Meant to be toyed with, teased, and used for pleasure. If they aren't pleasing, get rid of him, one women's trash is another's treasure. Sex is the easiest way to control any man, and every man can be controlled by sex. It doesn't matter if a guy has a mind, more often than not, he won't use it. When he does happen to use it, its a completely different ball game.

used for pleasure...? we like!

Interesting interesting. So you're one of THOSE girls.. hehe. It may surprise you to learn that there are guys out there who share the same views on women. One viewpoint I've heard on women(and I don't share this viewpoint) is that women are as driven by money, or the illusion of it, as men are by sex, and in that way can be equally as controllable as men. And I would venture to say that although we love to joke about it, the one track mind sex thing applies only to men under 25. Personally, there are lots of fish in the sea(men and women). So it's much easier to deal with someone without an agenda for me.

Each relationship has a dominant and recessive personality. Even if two people are "dominant", someone will ultimately be the decisionmaker. And thus the power struggle ensues. And when two dominant personalities meet, it can be a fireball, to say the least;) That being said, I don't think men are anymore playthings then women are. I think you'll see it as less of a "game" the older you get. Men and women ultimately have the same basic needs, we just get there in different ways. But more power to you sistah!

PS Gale, if you're really 17, aren't you a bit young to be using sex as a weapon?:wink:

Last edited:
Originally posted by Tsunami
Thanks, Zantra. I just cannot take life too seriously - if I did, I'd have to be institutionalized! Well, maybe I need that anyway, but...
I was thinking about this and, it's occurred to me more than once that, really, we all kind of want to be taken care of! Men - SORT OF like Mommy did (love and nurture, cook yummy dinners, take care of our clothes, keep the home fires burning...), and women - SORT OF like Daddy did (love and cuddle, protect, bring home the bacon, chop the wood to keep the home fires burning...)! I think that's just basic man/woman nature. It's built in. Inherent. Ponder it for a bit and tell me what y'all think.

You know, I think you're right. The old saying of men marrying their moms and women marrying their dads isn't that far off. I mean, that hot mamma in the tight red dress is great for drinks and dancing, but we always marry the girl in the turtleneck sweater who makes us dinner and cleans up our bachelor pad;) And I think the same applies to women. They may go for the leather jacket wearing, tattooed, unemployed, biker poet, but when it comes down to it, they marry ned the good guy who has a stable job and won't leave her for a cocktail waitress named bubbles.

Be careful using the term 'nature'.

Either it's 'nature', or it's 'society'.

Naturalistic explanation is when you say it's born in.

What you reason is society. Our situation in child days affect us.
And I agree.

But what happens when the gender issues slowly changes ? And it will.
When we men more take care of children, as we well should. And women more to work, as they well should.
What then ? Society changes.

What is it that we actually find attractive in the opposite sex ?

And if some of these ideas crash hard in morals of society, are these destorying but attractive things really worth struggling to keep ?
As we move on, don't we continually find new things we find attractive in the opposite sex anyway ?

Last edited:

At long last... The Men's Guide to what a woman really means when she says something. Pay close attention (there might be a quiz later).
* You want = You want
* We need = I want
* It's your decision = The correct decision should be obvious by now.
* Do what you want = You'll pay for this later.
* We need to talk = I need to complain
* Sure... go ahead = I don't want you to.
* I'm not upset = Of course I'm upset, you moron!
* You're ... so manly = You need a shave and you sweat a lot.
* You're certainly attentive tonight. = Is sex all you ever think about?
* I'm not emotional! And I'm not overreacting! = I'm on my period.
* Be romantic, turn out the lights. = I have flabby thighs.
* This kitchen is so inconvenient = I want a new house.
* I want new curtains = and carpeting, and furniture, and wallpaper...
* I need wedding shoes = the other 40 pairs are the wrong shade of white.
* Hang the picture there = NO, I mean hang it there!
* I heard a noise = I noticed you were almost asleep.
* Do you love me? = I'm going to ask for something expensive.
* How much do you love me? = I did something today you're really not going to like.
* I'll be ready in a minute. = Kick off your shoes and find a good game on T.V.
* Is my butt fat? = Tell me I'm beautiful.
* You have to learn to communicate. = Just agree with me.
* Are you listening to me!? = [Too late, you're dead.]
* Yes = No
* No = No
* Maybe = No
* I'm sorry. = You'll be sorry.
* Do you like this recipe? = It's easy to fix, so you'd better get used to it.
* I'm not yelling! = Yes I am yelling because I think this is important.
* All we're going to buy is a soap dish = It goes without saying that we're stopping at the cosmetics department, the shoe department, I need to look at a few new pocket books, and OMIGOD those pink sheets would look great in the bedroom and did you bring your checkbook?
(THE ANSWER TO "WHAT'S WRONG?")
* The same old thing = Nothing
* Nothing = Everything
* Everything = My PMS is acting up
* Nothing, really = It's just that you're such a jerk
* I don't want to talk about it = Go away, I'm still building up steam
STOP! You're KILLING me! My face hurts from laughing so hard!
Here's a couple more:
The difference between a woman with PMS and a:
Pitbull --> lipstick!
Vulture---> at least a vulture waits until you're DEAD before he eats your face off!

You are a RIOT! I LOVE it!
(Man! You guys were busy in this thread while I was in town!)

BTW, Gale...didn't you just have a birthday? Are you now Gale18?
Originally posted by pace
used for pleasure...? we like!
Gale, meet pace. Pace, Gale. :wink: I'm Cupid.

You know, I think you're right. The old saying of men marrying their moms and women marrying their dads isn't that far off. I mean, that hot mamma in the tight red dress is great for drinks and dancing, but we always marry the girl in the turtleneck sweater who makes us dinner and cleans up our bachelor pad;) And I think the same applies to women. They may go for the leather jacket wearing, tattooed, unemployed, biker poet, but when it comes down to it, they marry ned the good guy who has a stable job and won't leave her for a cocktail waitress named bubbles.
NAILED! Right on the head! 'Specially that biker part (but let me include nipple rings and a snear! ).
p.s. Just drinks and dancing? (or would that be dancing between the sheets?)

NAILED! Right on the head! 'Specially that biker part (but let me include nipple rings and a snear! ).
p.s. Just drinks and dancing? (or would that be dancing between the sheets?)

sheets of course:wink:

sheets of course:wink:
Of course!:wink:

nipple rings and a sneer? Is the sneer optional?

nipple rings and a sneer? Is the sneer optional?
Sure. The sneer can be optional. But not the nipple rings! They're a MUST!

so you want to take over the world... :wink:

Originally posted by Guybrush Threepwood
so you want to take over the world... :wink:

yeeeessss.. the same thing she does EVERY night pinky!

(you'll either get it, or you won't- think cartoons)

I swear, I'll be the only doctor who watches scooby doo!

Last edited:

STOP! You're KILLING me! My face hurts from laughing so hard!
Here's a couple more:
The difference between a woman with PMS and a:
Pitbull --> lipstick!
Vulture---> at least a vulture waits until you're DEAD before he eats your face off!

If I had a nickel for every time I heard the words "I told you nothing's wrong"...well let's just say I'd never have to worry about shoe money again:wink:

I've made a more appropriate title

Last edited:

This is so sad. Men are not playthings, nor are women. The perceived "control" you have over a man's sexual desires are still *entirely* dependent on his attraction to you, not vice versa. This, IMO, is not much control at all. At the same time, you are sacrificing your own body (as well as time and energy) just to have a little control over another person - that's really sad.

I agree with the statement that if they aren't pleasing, they should (most likely) go, although I probably agree for different reasons.

By the way, not every man can be controlled by sex.

The rest of this thread is so sexist it makes me nauseous. The main problem is that these ideas that men are one-dimensional and women are irrational keep being perpetuated in the name of humor but are actually quite demeaning to both genders and allow people to feel it's "OK" to fit into certain stereotypes. In some cases, people think it's OK to emulate them.

I'm aware that I can be a bit idealistic about gender relations but I think changing ones perspective is the only way to begin gaining true equality - the problem is, despite what some people say, they don't actually want it.

Crazy, if a relation comes down to controlling the other person. I think it is very shamefull behaviour and degrading. I just hate those guys who hang out in bars and are hanging around every woman's neck claiming to be her saviour.

Macho behaviour is the biggest turn off. I like sensitive man, who will cry when emotions run too high. Who will tell me not to be angry, because his bloodpressure just became very high by me being upset. That is what I want, but I guess I'm doomed never to find someone like that again in this society..

Amen! Towards the last two posters! :smile:

(although I aint christian, only an expression)

Amen! Towards the last two posters! :smile:

(although I aint christian, only an expression)
Real men still exist?? *faints*

I have got this guy who has been trying to win me over for like.. so many years.. his idea of representing himself? Acting like a macho, saying how much he drinks in weekends, how much fun it is to go to beach vacations and hang out all night. Its a nice person, but common!

Originally posted by Galatea
The main problem is that these ideas that men are one-dimensional and women are irrational keep being perpetuated in the name of humor but are actually quite demeaning to both genders and allow people to feel it's "OK" to fit into certain stereotypes. In some cases, people think it's OK to emulate them.

well I personally think the purpose of humor is to show the bad habits and to allow people to change, not to feel OK with their defects. Maybe you're talking about kind of people who takes humor to... seriously

Humour is cool, nice and needed, if that's possible to say. But some men doesn't take anything seriously. And humour doesn't get fun at all when you find it really disagreeable or tasteless.

Originally posted by Monique
Real men still exist?? *faints*

*wakes her up*

Last edited:
I couldn't appreciate Tsunami's Rules from the male side on page 2.. but Zantra's representation of the Men's guide to what woman really want on page 3 was really funny :)

And I must say, very close to the truth too..

This is so sad. Men are not playthings, nor are women. The perceived "control" you have over a man's sexual desires are still *entirely* dependent on his attraction to you, not vice versa. This, IMO, is not much control at all. At the same time, you are sacrificing your own body (as well as time and energy) just to have a little control over another person - that's really sad.

I agree with the statement that if they aren't pleasing, they should (most likely) go, although I probably agree for different reasons.

By the way, not every man can be controlled by sex.

Now this is a more realistic view of men women and sex. Yes there are men out there who will say and do anything to get laid. But I'd venture to say none of them surf these boards (or maybe I'm expecting too much?;). Gale is bottom line, a young person, and will no doubt find the world a bit more complexed as she gets older.

EDIT: I have to admit Gale's statement really bothers me. It's generally false, but the sad fact is that there are actual mature women out there who have this same embittered, sadistic outlook on men and dating. I pity them more than anything, because someone with this kind of attitude generally has self esteem issues. But it is also this kind of attitude which gives the good women a bad name.

We now return you to our regularly broadcasted fun.

The rest of this thread is so sexist it makes me nauseous. The main problem is that these ideas that men are one-dimensional and women are irrational keep being perpetuated in the name of humor but are actually quite demeaning to both genders and allow people to feel it's "OK" to fit into certain stereotypes. In some cases, people think it's OK to emulate them.

I'm aware that I can be a bit idealistic about gender relations but I think changing ones perspective is the only way to begin gaining true equality - the problem is, despite what some people say, they don't actually want it. [/B]

Keep in mind that this thread is bashing both men and women, and it's all in good fun. Men and women both have their pros and cons, and despite what gale may believe, no one is perfect. We have to be able to laugh at ourselves occassionally or we loose perspective.

just my 2 cents...

Last edited:
Now this is a more realistic view of men women and sex. Yes there are men out there who will say and do anything to get laid. But I'd venture to say none of them surf these boards (or maybe I'm expecting too much?;). Gale is bottom line, a young person, and will no doubt find the world a bit more complexed as she gets older.

EDIT: I have to admit Gale's statement really bothers me. It's generally false, but the sad fact is that there are actual mature women out there who have this same embittered, sadistic outlook on men and dating. I pity them more than anything, because someone with this kind of attitude generally has self esteem issues. But it is also this kind of attitude which gives the good women a bad name.

We now return you to our regularly broadcasted fun.

Keep in mind that this thread is bashing both men and women, and it's all in good fun. Men and women both have their pros and cons, and despite what gale may believe, no one is perfect. We have to be able to laugh at ourselves occassionally or we loose perspective.

just my 2 cents...
I fully agree with everything you said here, Zantra. We are only having a little fun in an all-too-serious world. With all the cr*p going on out in the world, we need to take time to appreciate the humor of humanity.
Also, as funny as I thought Gales post was (and I'll be the first to admit my approach to humor has gotten me in trouble way more than once!), I have to wonder what caused her (AND others who feel this way - women AND MEN alike) to take this position and attitude.
GALE! There truly are lots of really good men out there! Take the time to get to know them REAL WELL before you jump their bones. O'Tay? It will be far more worth it in the long run. There is absolutely nothing in the world like true love and the expression of it!

Originally posted by Monique
I couldn't appreciate Tsunami's Rules from the male side on page 2.. but Zantra's representation of the Men's guide to what woman really want on page 3 was really funny :)

And I must say, very close to the truth too..

It's funny that you say that- I got it from my significant other. Maybe this is a hint? Or just a forcast of things to come?

I have the sneaking suspision when we grow older, things have changed so much, when we try give our children relationship advices, we're going to sound as corny as when our own parents gave us advice.

Last edited:
I have the sneaking suspision when we grow older, things have changed so much, when we try give our children relationship advices, we're going to sound as corny as when our own parents gave us advice.

It only sounds corny because kids already thing they know everything:wink:

It only sounds corny because kids already thing they know everything:wink:

Well yeah... hehe, I guess I partly agree with you there. :smile:

I agree with you here. While I would not want to put her down by claiming she's immature, the fact is, that kind of mentality is the hallmark of an emotionally underdeveloped mind. How applicable that is to a certain age range is debateable. I've known plenty of so-called adults who think the same way.

I don't really pity them although I do think it's a sad state of affairs. It's a reactionary view of the world and is not actually based on how one wants to really live their life. If you want to just have meaningless sex with people, that can be done without hurting the opposite sex and/or without having to use them or deceive them about your intentions. The same can, of course, be said for men who have been employing these tactics for longer than women. However, I don't think a reactionary method is the best course of action in any situation, much less as it applies to gender relations. I'm hoping it won't last very long since it appears to be women lashing out. Most people can't hold a grudge for too long and that kind of behavior is emotionally draining and not as satisfying as one would believe. It's also bad for your karma, if you believe in that kind of thing. :wink:

I don't see why bashing men and women should be considered fun.. I admit to being more sensitive about these issues than a lot of other people, but the stereotypes involved reduce people to nothing.

Ok...

yes it was my birthday, thanks, no I'm not 18, the day i created this sn i became 17 for life...:wink:

yes zantra... I'm one of THOSE girls

Galatea:
don't get too upset. Jokes are meant to be funny... as in haha...
i do not sacrifice my body or time or energy or whatever. on weekends instead of playing tag or ring-around-the-rosie, i seduce guys for kicks, just my version of fun. Oh, and yeah, every man my age can be controlled by sex, you just need to make em realize it first...

Monique:
Yes, many of my relationships are about control. But that's just because i have different relations than most. I don't even date guys or have boyfriends, and when i do, its not a control thing. A real relationship is different, and those are few and far between. Until one of those comes a long, i can't taunt, tease, and toy all i want, long as I'm not hurting anyone, or myself. I don't involve myself in serious relationships, just fun one's, so there's no harm in a little power.

oh and zantra- don't be too disturbed by me, yeah I'm just a kid, but I'm intelligent, informed, and i mean no harm promise. I know there's women out there who are that sadistic, but I'm not. Sides, there's pleanty of guys like that too. Everything balances out.

Tsunami:
i can tell you why some people have that attitude. We're hedonists. The whole world is our plaything! I myself think that there's more to life- love or whatever, but right now that doesn't matter. For some though, they're just ignorant, and can't see past their good time at all.

I'm a teenager, I'm not crazy. I know that there's great guys out there, somewhere, and i'd like a nice sensitive cryer myself, (actually i seem to have a think for geeks and nerds...) but I'm just not worried about finding them yet. Love isn't an issue for me, I'm a kid, that stuff's too serious, why complicate things?? right now, I'm having fun, someday i'll straighten up and fly right... and if not... guys beware! :wink:

oh, and i don't know if anyone's really said so, but men and women aren't so un-alike anyways. people are people. human is human. i don't actually even see a huge difference when it comes to gender, women are my playthings too! heh... i just don't think they're as fun...pms and all...

I agree with you here. While I would not want to put her down by claiming she's immature, the fact is, that kind of mentality is the hallmark of an emotionally underdeveloped mind. How applicable that is to a certain age range is debateable. I've known plenty of so-called adults who think the same way.

I didn't mean to imply that gale was immature(ok maybe I did) I think she's right where she should be for her age. When I was 17 I was immature- I'll be the first to admit that. And I was twice as cocky . God to be 17 again /sigh

And you're right. I know plenty of older men who are just as immature, if not moreso. Point taken.

I don't really pity them although I do think it's a sad state of affairs. It's a reactionary view of the world and is not actually based on how one wants to really live their life. If you want to just have meaningless sex with people, that can be done without hurting the opposite sex and/or without having to use them or deceive them about your intentions. The same can, of course, be said for men who have been employing these tactics for longer than women. However, I don't think a reactionary method is the best course of action in any situation, much less as it applies to gender relations. I'm hoping it won't last very long since it appears to be women lashing out. Most people can't hold a grudge for too long and that kind of behavior is emotionally draining and not as satisfying as one would believe. It's also bad for your karma, if you believe in that kind of thing. :wink:

agreed

I don't see why bashing men and women should be considered fun.. I admit to being more sensitive about these issues than a lot of other people, but the stereotypes involved reduce people to nothing.

It's not so much fun as it is teasing- in a good way. I can respect that you're sensitive to these issues, but seeing as how it's a general teasing, and not directed at you, you shouldn't take offense.

Back