The magnitude of the magnetic field at the center of the loops is....

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation for the magnetic field of N loops with varying radius and current. The relevant equation is provided and it is clarified that the question is about N loops, not just one. An example calculation for N=3 is also given.
hidemi
Homework Statement
We find that N current loops are coplanar and coaxial. The first has radius a and current I. The second has radius 2a and current 2I, and the pattern is repeated up to the Nth, which has radius Na and current NI. The current in each loop is counterclockwise as seen from above. The magnitude of the magnetic field at the center of the loops is:

a. µoI/2Na

b. µoI/Na

c. µoI/2a

d. µoNI/2a

e. µoNI/a

Ans: D
Relevant Equations
B = µoI/2a
I calculate like this and I think the answer is E not D.

N( µoI/2a + µo2I/2*2a)
= 2µoNI/2a
= µoNI/a

Physics news on Phys.org
For N=1, d, not e, gives the relevant equation you wrote.

Last edited:
Likes hidemi
anuttarasammyak said:
For N=1, d, not e, gives the relevant equation you wrote.
Thanks for reply.
Here's my calculation:
N( µoI/2a + µo2I/2*2a)
= 2µoNI/2a
= µoNI/a

The question is asking about the two loops combine. The relevant equation does not include the two loops.

hidemi said:
The question is asking about the two loops combine. The relevant equation does not include the two loops.
You have misread the question. The question is about N loops. N could be any integer, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ...

For example if N=3.
First loop has radius = a, current = I, its field is ##B = \frac {\mu_0 I}{2a}##
Next loop has radius = 2a, current = 2I, its field is ##B = \frac {\mu_0 (2I)}{2(2a)}##
Next loop has radius = 3a, current = 3I, its field is ##B = \frac {\mu_0 (3I)}{2(3a)}##

Likes hidemi
Steve4Physics said:
You have misread the question. The question is about N loops. N could be any integer, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ...

For example if N=3.
First loop has radius = a, current = I, its field is ##B = \frac {\mu_0 I}{2a}##
Next loop has radius = 2a, current = 2I, its field is ##B = \frac {\mu_0 (2I)}{2(2a)}##
Next loop has radius = 3a, current = 3I, its field is ##B = \frac {\mu_0 (3I)}{2(3a)}##
Ok, I see where you are getting.
Thank you so much.

Related to The magnitude of the magnetic field at the center of the loops is....

1. What is the significance of the magnitude of the magnetic field at the center of the loops?

The magnitude of the magnetic field at the center of the loops is an important factor in understanding the behavior and properties of magnetic fields. It can determine the strength and direction of the magnetic force on charged particles, as well as the amount of energy stored in a magnetic field.

2. How is the magnitude of the magnetic field at the center of the loops measured?

The magnitude of the magnetic field at the center of the loops can be measured using a device called a magnetometer. This instrument measures the strength of the magnetic field at a specific location and can provide precise measurements of the magnitude of the field.

3. What factors affect the magnitude of the magnetic field at the center of the loops?

The magnitude of the magnetic field at the center of the loops is affected by several factors, including the current flowing through the loops, the number of loops, the distance from the center of the loops, and the permeability of the material surrounding the loops.

4. How does the magnitude of the magnetic field at the center of the loops change with distance?

The magnitude of the magnetic field at the center of the loops follows an inverse square law, meaning that it decreases as the distance from the center of the loops increases. This relationship is similar to that of the force of gravity, where the force decreases as the distance between two objects increases.

5. Can the magnitude of the magnetic field at the center of the loops be manipulated?

Yes, the magnitude of the magnetic field at the center of the loops can be manipulated by changing the current flowing through the loops, the number of loops, or the distance from the center of the loops. It can also be affected by adding or removing materials with different permeability around the loops.