The inverse of spacetime curvature?

In summary, spacetime can be curved in three dimensions (extrinsically) or it can be curved in four dimensions (intrinsically). If it is curved in four dimensions, then it can have tidal forces.
LilPhysics
Let's say you can bend a paper...how about bending it upward. a slope
I'm saying as we saw spactime in 3d...we all know how it looks..the lines are attracted toward Earth but why doesn't it deflects them and maybe negative mass is linked with it.
In other words, someone under the trampoline pushing you up instead of you bending the trampoline.Instead curving...it deflects
Maybe black holes deflects light throught spacetime and hence the problem is what occupies the void of 4D if deflected

Physics news on Phys.org
LilPhysics said:
Let's say you can bend a paper
That type of bending is called extrinsic curvature. General relativity deals only with intrinsic curvature. If you draw a triangle on a piece of paper then the angles sum to 180 deg regardless of how you fold it.

LilPhysics said:
...someone under the trampoline pushing you up instead of you bending the trampoline...
Someone living within the 2D trampoline sheet wouldn't notice any difference between these two symmetrical cases, because the sheet's intrinsic geometry (distances within the sheet) would be the same. That is what matters in this analogy, not how the curved 2D surface is oriented within the 3D embedding space.

See also:
http://demoweb.physics.ucla.edu/content/10-curved-spacetime

Then what if spacetime deal with extrinsic... Anyone watched the 3D visualized Spacetime curve of earth. You kr what it looked like but what happens when it deflects that's what I'm saying. You might want to google 3d spacetime...what if spacetime is extrinsic also , there must be a link for it with negative mass, -ve mass's inertia is different and so can the curvature be different

here

Attachments

• download.jpeg
    download.jpeg
    13.1 KB · Views: 598
LilPhysics said:
Let's say you can bend a paper...how about bending it upward. a slope
I'm saying as we saw spactime in 3d...we all know how it looks..the lines are attracted toward Earth but why doesn't it deflects them and maybe negative mass is linked with it.
In other words, someone under the trampoline pushing you up instead of you bending the trampoline.Instead curving...it deflects
Maybe black holes deflects light throught spacetime and hence the problem is what occupies the void of 4D if deflected

As John Baez describes here: https://arxiv.org/pdf/gr-qc/0103044.pdf, the content of Einstein's theory of gravity can be understood in terms of what happens to a ball of dust, initially spherical and initially at rest in some locally inertial reference frame. If you release this ball in a gravitational field, its shape will be warped; it will become stretched in some directions and compressed in other directions. If the ball is in outer space, and is not passing through any matter (or energy), the volume will remain unchanged. It doesn't matter that there might be a gravitational source outside the ball; if the ball passes near the Earth, its shape will change but its volume will not. But if there is a source of gravity inside the ball, then the volume will contract. The fact that there is no negative mass means that if the ball is in freefall (no forces acting on it other than gravity), its volume can only contract or remain the same through interaction with gravity, it can never expand.

LilPhysics said:
Then what if spacetime deal with extrinsic...
We would have no way to notice any difference.

Likes LilPhysics
LilPhysics said:
Then what if spacetime deal with extrinsic
As @jbriggs444 mentioned, if spacetime is extrinsically curved in some higher dimensional embedding space then we would never know. All that we can detect is the intrinsic curvature, there is no way, even in theory, to measure the extrinsic curvature.

Edit: just noticed this
LilPhysics said:
there must be a link for it with negative mass, -ve mass's inertia is different and so can the curvature be different
No need to bring in extrinsic curvature here. Positive mass leads to positive intrinsic curvature (triangle has >180 deg). Negative mass leads to negative intrinsic curvature (triangle has <180 deg). Or at least it does if it exists, which is doubtful.

Last edited:
Regarding the trampoline example, being pushed up or pushed down, am i to understand that since a simple change of coordinates can make the two situations identical (i.e., reverse the positive direction on your axes and suddenly “up” becomes “down”), then there isn’t any “curved spacetime,” that is, no tidal forces that are present in one situation but not the other?

Sorcerer said:
Regarding the trampoline example, being pushed up or pushed down, am i to understand that since a simple change of coordinates can make the two situations identical (i.e., reverse the positive direction on your axes and suddenly “up” becomes “down”), then there isn’t any “curved spacetime,” that is, no tidal forces that are present in one situation but not the other?
Yes. It is an obvious isometry. However, that is not to say that there is no curvature. It is to say that the intrinsic curvature is identical in the two cases.

Likes Dale
Sorcerer said:
Regarding the trampoline example, being pushed up or pushed down, am i to understand that since a simple change of coordinates can make the two situations identical (i.e., reverse the positive direction on your axes and suddenly “up” becomes “down”), then there isn’t any “curved spacetime,”
The trampoline has intrinsic curvature, but it represents space, not spacetime.

Thanks guys a lot, btw I'm just a student about to sit for A level exams and it's my first year plus physics is DOPE

Likes Dale

Related to The inverse of spacetime curvature?

What is the inverse of spacetime curvature?

The inverse of spacetime curvature is the measurement of how much space is curved due to the presence of mass or energy. It is the reciprocal of spacetime curvature, which is the measurement of how much an object's trajectory is affected by the curvature of spacetime.

How is the inverse of spacetime curvature measured?

The inverse of spacetime curvature is measured using mathematical equations derived from Einstein's theory of general relativity. It is often represented by the Greek letter "kappa" (κ) and has units of meters squared per kilogram (m^2/kg).

What is the significance of the inverse of spacetime curvature?

The inverse of spacetime curvature is significant because it helps us understand the effects of gravity on the behavior of objects in the universe. It also plays a crucial role in the development of theories about the origin and evolution of the universe.

How does the inverse of spacetime curvature relate to the concept of spacetime?

The inverse of spacetime curvature is directly related to the concept of spacetime, as it is a measurement of how space and time are affected by the presence of mass or energy. It is essentially a way to quantify the curvature of spacetime.

Can the inverse of spacetime curvature be negative?

Yes, the inverse of spacetime curvature can be negative if the curvature of spacetime is negative. This can occur in regions of space where there is a large concentration of mass or energy, such as near a black hole. In these cases, spacetime is curved inwards and the inverse of spacetime curvature is negative.