The Hot Resistance Of the filament

In summary: But turns out that gives you an operating temp of 100*C ... yea I am lost and have googled looking for operating temperature formulas...Help!Thanks People!You have two equations with two unknowns. Rather than try to solve one at a time try solving them both at the same time.Ive got lost again - But hey I got a new resistance this time - The "Hot temperature resistance" maybe?In summary, the two equations are:R1=R0-(1+0.005x100)P=I^2RThe hot resistance of the filament is 74.8 ohm. The operating temperature of the filament is 100*C.
Sullitp
Hey so I am stuck on a 2part question, it goes as follows:

A tungstan filament in a light bulb is rated 75w for a 230v supply. The resistance of the filament at 20*C (*C means degrees celcius) is 68 ohm.
Assume a constant temperature coefficient of 0.005.

Calculate:
A) The hot resistance of the filament

Ok so I have no idea what temperature to use for "hot" so I used 100*C (I mean that's hot!:-p )

Then used the equation R1=R0 (1+0.005x100) - Where
R1= Resistance at 100*C
R0= Resistance at 20*C
0.005= Temperature Coefficient
100= 100*C "Hot" temperature.

If you work this out it gives you a resistance of 102ohm @ 100*C.
I think that bit is right but is the 100*C right?

I have a second part to this so I'll put it in a different colour to help...

B) The operating temperature of the filament?

Well for this one I was going to use the formula (T1= R1/R0-1 All Divided By 0.005)

But turns out that gives you an operating temp of 100*C ... yea I am lost and have googled looking for operating temperature formulas...Help!

Thanks People!

Physics news on Phys.org
You have two equations with two unknowns. Rather than try to solve one at a time try solving them both at the same time.

Ive got lost again - But hey I got a new resistance this time - The "Hot temperature resistance" maybe?

I used the R1= 68(1+0.005x20) = 74.8

But I still can't figure out how to find the operating temperature with that last part solved.

A formula for this would help LOTS!
...Hints are just plain annoying at this time of night (NZ 12:55am)
And yes I have left this assignment to the last minute...

Thanks!

Fair enough I can say nothing about whether the formulas are right because its so long since I've done anything with electrical circuits but assuming they are correct the mathematical way of solving them is by simultaneous equations. Try solving this:

R1-T1 = 1/k, where k=0.005 alongside this,

T1/R1 = 1/(k*R0-k)

Unfortunately i can only give hints as part of the rules of this forum, and with good reason because if you don't get there by yourself (albeit with a little help) then you won't have learned anything.

The lamp is rated 75 watts at 230 volts. Do you know how to calculate the resistance of the lamp with these values (i.e., the hot resistance of the filament) ?

Last edited:
From what I can remember the resistance of a conductor is given as;

[tex]R = R_{0}(1 + \alpha \cdot \Delta T)[/tex]

Where [itex]\alpha = k[/itex] in kurdt's example.

~H

If that is the case Hoot, I hope the second equation involves a delta T too!

Perhaps hammie's suggestion of using;

[tex]P = I^2 R[/tex]

to calculate the running resistance would be a more logical step, in light of the lack of a delta T in the second equality.

~H

I was thinking of

[tex]P = V^2 /R[/tex]

Hammie said:
I was thinking of

[tex]P = V^2 /R[/tex]

I apologise, I thought the current was given :blushing: . If we apply ohm's law to my original equation to eliminate I, we can obtain the above equation.

~H

Sullitp said:
Hey so I am stuck on a 2part question, it goes as follows:

A tungstan filament in a light bulb is rated 75w for a 230v supply. The resistance of the filament at 20*C (*C means degrees celcius) is 68 ohm.
Assume a constant temperature coefficient of 0.005.

Calculate:
A) The hot resistance of the filament

Ok so I have no idea what temperature to use for "hot" so I used 100*C (I mean that's hot!:-p )
That's a thing you can NOT do! You are not given the temperature hot, and just choosing a random value is not the way to solve the problem. You need to look carefully at ALL the data provided and see how you can arrive at the required quantity from known things.

And just to let you know how wrong your assumed value (100 deg C) is, let me tell you that the typical filament temperature is about 2500 deg C. That's an error of about 3000% in the temperature change !

Then used the equation R1=R0 (1+0.005x100) - Where
R1= Resistance at 100*C
R0= Resistance at 20*C
0.005= Temperature Coefficient
100= 100*C "Hot" temperature.
That is an incorrect equation. The correct equation is given in post #6. The temperature in the equation is not the "hot" temperature, but the temperature change. In any case, you do not use this equation in part A.

If you work this out it gives you a resistance of 102ohm @ 100*C.
I think that bit is right but is the 100*C right?[/COLOR]
No, you should work this out using the method described by hammie.

I have a second part to this so I'll put it in a different colour to help...

B) The operating temperature of the filament?

Well for this one I was going to use the formula (T1= R1/R0-1 All Divided By 0.005)

But turns out that gives you an operating temp of 100*C ... yea I am lost and have googled looking for operating temperature formulas...Help!
Thanks People!
Well, you assumed an operating temperature of 100 deg C to calculate the first part. Naturally, if you use the same equation as you used there, you will merely extract that same number.

If anything, this second part should have told you that you do not want to assume a value of the temperature in part A. Nevertheless, if you correctly solve part A as suggested you can use the equation in post #6 to find the temperature change.

Last edited:
Glad to see I was of zero assistance there :blushing:. I'll leave my patheic knowledge of electrical circuits on the sidelines in future :biggrin:.

Kurdt said:
Glad to see I was of zero assistance there :blushing:. I'll leave my patheic knowledge of electrical circuits on the sidelines in future :biggrin:.

I may come with you. Nevermind, we can eat all the half time oranges!:devil:

~H

Related to The Hot Resistance Of the filament

1. What causes the filament to have a high resistance?

The resistance of a filament is primarily due to the material it is made of, which typically has a high melting point and low conductivity. This makes it difficult for electricity to flow through the filament, resulting in a high resistance.

2. How does the resistance of the filament affect its performance?

A high resistance in the filament can cause it to heat up and produce light, making it an essential component in incandescent light bulbs. However, it can also lead to energy loss and decrease the efficiency of the bulb.

3. What factors can influence the resistance of the filament?

The resistance of a filament can be influenced by its length, cross-sectional area, temperature, and the material it is made of. A longer and thinner filament will have a higher resistance compared to a shorter and thicker one.

4. Is there a way to decrease the resistance of the filament?

One way to decrease the resistance of a filament is by using a material with higher conductivity, such as tungsten. Another approach is to increase the cross-sectional area of the filament, resulting in lower resistance.

5. How does the resistance of the filament change with temperature?

The resistance of a filament increases with temperature, as the atoms in the material vibrate more when heated, making it more difficult for electrons to flow through. This is known as the temperature coefficient of resistance.