Find the resistance at 50 degrees C given resistance at 0 C

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of resistance in a bobbin at different temperatures using the formula R1=R0[1+alpha(t-t0)]. The calculated resistance at 50 degrees celcius is 3.96975 ohm, which rounds to 4.0 ohm. However, the answer in the book is listed as 4.06 ohm, possibly indicating a mistake.
prishila

Homework Statement

The resistance of a bobbinin 0 grades celcius is 3.35 ohm. What is its resistance in 50 grades celcius? thermal constant=0.0037

Homework Equations

R1=R0[1+alpha(t-t0)]

The Attempt at a Solution

Using this formula
R1=3.35[1+0.0037(50-0)]=3.35*1.185=3.96975, but the answer in my book is 4.06 ohm. Should I find the resistance in 20 grade celcius and then at 50 grades celcius?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
prishila said:

Homework Statement

The resistance of a bobbinin 0 grades celcius is 3.35 ohm. What is its resistance in 50 grades celcius? thermal constant=0.0037

Homework Equations

R1=R0[1+alpha(t-t0)]

The Attempt at a Solution

Using this formula
R1=3.35[1+0.0037(50-0)]=3.35*1.185=3.96975, but the answer in my book is 4.0 ohm. Should I find the resistance in 20 grade celcius and then at 50 grades celcius?
Your answer looks correct. If you round your answer to 2 significant figures, what answer do you get?

berkeman said:
Your answer looks correct. If you round your answer to 2 significant figures, what answer do you get?
Sorry I corrected it, the answer in my book is 4.06 ohm

prishila said:
Sorry I corrected it, the answer in my book is 4.06 ohm
Weird. I get the same answer as you do...

Related to Find the resistance at 50 degrees C given resistance at 0 C

1. How does temperature affect resistance?

Temperature has a direct impact on the resistance of a material. As the temperature increases, the resistance of most materials also increases. This is due to the increased vibrations of the atoms in the material, which leads to more collisions and a higher resistance to the flow of electrons.

2. What is the formula for finding resistance at a specific temperature?

The formula for finding resistance at a specific temperature is Rt = R0[1 + α(Tt - T0)], where Rt is the resistance at the desired temperature, R0 is the resistance at 0°C, α is the temperature coefficient of the material, Tt is the desired temperature, and T0 is 0°C.

3. How do I find the temperature coefficient of a material?

The temperature coefficient of a material can be found by dividing the change in resistance by the change in temperature (α = ΔR/ΔT). It is typically given in units of ohms per degree Celsius (Ω/°C).

4. What is the significance of finding resistance at a specific temperature?

Finding the resistance at a specific temperature is important in understanding the behavior of materials and their use in electrical circuits. It allows us to predict how a material will perform under different temperature conditions and ensure the proper functioning of electronic devices.

5. How does resistance at different temperatures affect the efficiency of electronic devices?

The resistance of a material directly affects the flow of electrons, which in turn affects the efficiency of electronic devices. As the resistance increases with temperature, it can lead to overheating and decreased efficiency in electronic components. Therefore, it is important to consider and account for the resistance at different temperatures in the design and use of electronic devices.