The Greener Pastures Phenomenon

• Thread starter bigplanet401
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Phenomenon
In summary, there is a trend known as the "Greener Pastures" phenomenon where physicists are leaving the field to pursue careers in the financial services industry, particularly on Wall Street. This trend has been observed among both B.S. and Ph.D. students. Some suggest that this trend is due to the high salaries and perceived value of physicists in the financial industry, while others have expressed concerns about the lack of productivity and fulfillment in these jobs. Some individuals who have made this career switch have reported feeling like outsiders in this new environment.
bigplanet401
The "Greener Pastures" Phenomenon

Good Morning,
How many here are thinking about switching out of physics to pursue a career in the financial services industry?
Three students were graduated from my old research group: All of them decided to leave physics and work on Wall Street[tex]^*[/tex]. Anyway, would you please post here if you are considering a similar transition at the end of your program? Please also mention if you are a B.S. or Ph.D. student.
------------------------------------------------------------
[tex]
^* \small{\text{What's this planet coming to??\cdots!?}}
[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
im going to write a thread wat do u think of it..(dont be a physicist)...srry just want to get as much comments as possible

I'm not a physicist, I'm a computer scientist, but I did work on Wall Street for a couple of years quite a while ago. They *love* physicists there... especially if you can claim any connection with NASA whatsoever. "REAL rocket scientists!" they'd whisper...

Over a decade later, I'm *still* not paid as much salary as I was then... it was a lot of fun, but it had a "through the looking glass" quality to it. Much of the time, I felt like saying "Greetings from the planet Earth, I come in peace..." to almost everyone I met there. The money was great... the feeling that I wasn't really doing anything productive, less so. I think two years was just about my limit.

Your mileage may vary.

Related to The Greener Pastures Phenomenon

1. What is "The Greener Pastures Phenomenon"?

The Greener Pastures Phenomenon is a term used to describe the phenomenon where individuals or groups of individuals migrate to new locations in search of better opportunities, whether it be for economic, social, or environmental reasons.

2. What are the main factors that contribute to "The Greener Pastures Phenomenon"?

The main factors that contribute to The Greener Pastures Phenomenon include economic disparities, social and political instability, natural disasters, and environmental degradation.

3. How does "The Greener Pastures Phenomenon" impact the environment?

The Greener Pastures Phenomenon can have both positive and negative impacts on the environment. On one hand, it can lead to deforestation, pollution, and depletion of natural resources as individuals and groups move to new areas. On the other hand, it can also lead to the preservation of certain areas as people migrate away from them.

4. Are there any solutions to mitigate the effects of "The Greener Pastures Phenomenon"?

There are several potential solutions to mitigate the effects of The Greener Pastures Phenomenon. These include promoting sustainable development in areas that are experiencing migration, providing economic incentives for individuals to stay in their current locations, and implementing policies that address the root causes of migration.

5. How can we better understand "The Greener Pastures Phenomenon"?

To better understand The Greener Pastures Phenomenon, it is important to conduct research and gather data on patterns of migration, the motivations behind it, and its impacts on different regions. Additionally, interdisciplinary approaches that combine social, economic, and environmental perspectives can provide a more comprehensive understanding of this phenomenon.