The Gospel according to Judas

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
In summary, a 2000-year-old text named after the apostle Judas has resurfaced and is being translated by a Swiss foundation. It has caused controversy among early Christians and may shed new light on the role of Mary Magdalene. The recent deaths of the Pope and a prominent proponent of Darwinism coincide with this discovery, raising questions about the relationship between religion and science. The Catholic Church officially claims that Darwinian evolution is compatible with Christianity, but there are differing opinions among other Christian denominations. Some creationists propose a theory that God created the Earth to look older than it actually is.
franznietzsche said:
The discovery channel needs to renamed the autoshop channel. Its really annoying now.
Yes! Are there not enough interesting scientific topics? I read somewhere that they were doing the car/biker stuff to lure in people that otherwise wouldn't watch and hopefully expose them to science, but I think if that ever was true, it isn't anymore. :grumpy:

And what's with all the poker shows on the Travel Channel?? The only thing more boring than watching someone play poker is watching someone play golf. I mean I like playing poker, but I don't want to watch someone else playing. :grumpy:

(runs and hides from all the poker playing golfers)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Evo said:
Yes! Are there not enough interesting scientific topics? I read somewhere that they were doing the car/biker stuff to lure in people that otherwise wouldn't watch and hopefully expose them to science, but I think if that ever was true, it isn't anymore. :grumpy:
I can't believe that's anything but BS; people who like cars and motorcycle hotrodding are just a bigger and more rewarding market to play to than people interested in real science I guess.

By the way I'm talking about The Discovery Science channel (renamed to just The Science Channel). I haven't watched a regular Discovery Channel in a very long time and not planning to.

Evo said:
We're all getting a little too much into religion (myself included) let's stick to the topic.

There was an interesting view of Judas in the story of Jesus on the Discovery Channel (or TLC?) last year. It had a very convincing portrayal of Judas not as a betrayor, but as one of the closest of the apostles to Jesus and that the "betrayal" was Jesus' idea. It really made a lot of things make sense. Did anyone else watch the show? It was repeated just before Easter.

Jesus did call it ahead of time. He might have been in on it. Even if he wasn't, it was all part of God's plan, and Jesus is just an incarnation of God.

cronxeh said:
By the way I'm talking about The Discovery Science channel (renamed to just The Science Channel). I haven't watched a regular Discovery Channel in a very long time and not planning to.

Its not worth watching anymore. The only thing left is shark week in august, and that's barely worthwhile.

russ_watters said:
That's really all there is to it. Its actually a pretty common thing for a creationist to unwittingly stumble into when cornered. If they make any serious attempt at argument, sooner or later they have to deal with the fact that there is a mountain of evidence out there and that that evidence contradicts what is literally said in the Bible. The only way to reconcile those two facts is if that evidence was fabricated 4,000 years ago by a God who, for some reason, doesn't want us to know the truth.
Thanks Russ, and to everyone for explaining this -- good and interesting.
Evo said:
There was an interesting view of Judas in the story of Jesus on the Discovery Channel (or TLC?) last year. It had a very convincing portrayal of Judas not as a betrayor, but as one of the closest of the apostles to Jesus and that the "betrayal" was Jesus' idea. It really made a lot of things make sense. Did anyone else watch the show? It was repeated just before Easter.
Yes, I saw this, and the History Channel has done many good programs on such topics.
franznietzsche said:
The discovery channel needs to renamed the autoshop channel. Its really annoying now. I don't like it anymore, and never watch it. Luckily the history channel is still mostly uncorrupted by the plebes and their pasttimes.
True, and TLC needs to be renamed "Home and Fashion Make-Overs." I still check PBS for Nova, etc., and am willing to pay extra for the Science Channel.