The fundamental theorem of calculus

In summary: I(x,a)a'(x)In summary, we can apply the fundamental theorem of calculus to an integrand that's a function of the differentiating variable, but only if we use the general formula for \int_{f(x)}^{g(x)} h(x, t) \, dt with suitable conditions on the three functions. Additionally, one can also work it out using the definition of derivative and defining appropriate functions.
CantorSet
Can we apply the fundamental theorem of calculus to an integrand that's a function of the differentiating variable?

For example, can one still use the fundamental theorem of calculus when trying to find the derivative of this function:

[tex]f(x) = \int_{0}^{x} \frac{cos(xt)}{t}dt[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
Nope. But the idea of the proof can still be used -- you can derive a general formula for
[tex]\int_{f(x)}^{g(x)} h(x, t) \, dt[/tex]
with suitable conditions on the three functions.

Hurkyl said:
Nope. But the idea of the proof can still be used -- you can derive a general formula for
[tex]\int_{f(x)}^{g(x)} h(x, t) \, dt[/tex]
with suitable conditions on the three functions.

Well, here's my guest for the formula:

If

[tex]H(x) = \int_{f(x)}^{g(x)} h(x, t) \, dt[/tex],

then

[tex]H'(x) = h(x,g(x)) - h(x,f(x))[/tex]

Have you tried not guessing, and actually trying to work it out, starting with the very definition of derivative?

Hurkyl said:
Have you tried not guessing, and actually trying to work it out, starting with the very definition of derivative?

Let

[tex]F(x) = \int_{a}^{g(x)} f(x,t) dt[/tex]Now define

[tex]I(x,y) = \int f(x,t) dt [/tex]

with t = y after indefinite integration over t.

Then

[tex] F'(x) = I_x(x,g(x)) - I_x(x,a) + I_x(x,g(x))g'(x)[/tex]

Related to The fundamental theorem of calculus

What is the fundamental theorem of calculus?

The fundamental theorem of calculus is a fundamental concept in calculus that relates the concepts of differentiation and integration. It states that the definite integral of a function can be evaluated by finding an antiderivative of the function and evaluating it at the upper and lower limits of integration.

What are the two parts of the fundamental theorem of calculus?

The fundamental theorem of calculus has two parts. The first part states that if a function is continuous on a closed interval, then the definite integral of the function can be evaluated by finding an antiderivative of the function and evaluating it at the upper and lower limits of integration. The second part states that if a function is continuous on a closed interval and its derivative is also continuous, then the derivative of the definite integral of the function is equal to the original function.

Why is the fundamental theorem of calculus important?

The fundamental theorem of calculus is important because it provides a way to evaluate definite integrals without using Riemann sums, which can be time-consuming and difficult. It also connects the concepts of differentiation and integration, making it a powerful tool for solving various problems in physics, engineering, and economics.

What is an antiderivative?

An antiderivative is a function whose derivative is equal to a given function. It is also known as the indefinite integral of the given function. In other words, an antiderivative is the reverse process of differentiation.

Can the fundamental theorem of calculus be applied to any function?

No, the fundamental theorem of calculus can only be applied to continuous functions. This means that the function must not have any breaks, holes, or jumps on the interval of integration. Additionally, the function must have an antiderivative that is also continuous on the interval of integration.