The free particle wave function <x|p>?

In summary, for a free particle, the solution is a plane wave represented by <x|phi>, which is also identical to <x|p>. This is because the state |p> is the eigenstate of the momentum operator and can be expanded in the position basis as <x|p> = ∫dx e^(ipx/ℏ) |x>. This leads to an equation which has a solution of f(p,x) = e^(ipx/ℏ), and computing <x|p> involves recognizing a delta function.
Xyius
I am following the math of scattering theory in Sakurai, Revised Edition pp.380-381

For a free particle, one can find that the solution is a plane wave that can be written (in position space) as,

[tex]<x|\phi>=\frac{e^{ip \cdot x}}{(2 \pi \hbar)^{3/2}}[/tex]

However, how does one obtain ##<x|p>?## In the book it has..

[tex]<x|p>=\frac{e^{ip \cdot x}}{(2 \pi \hbar)^{3/2}}[/tex]

Which is identical to ##<x|\phi>##. Why are these two expressions the same? I also don't know what ##<x|p>## means physically. Momentum in the position basis?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The state ##|p\rangle## is the eigenstate of the momentum operator:

$$ \hat{p} | p\rangle = p |p\rangle.$$

The free particle state ##|\phi\rangle## is also a momentum eigenstate, so it should be identified with ##|p\rangle##.

In order to compute ##\langle x|p\rangle##, we should consider how to expand ##|p\rangle## in the position basis:

$$ | p \rangle = \int dx f(p,x) |x\rangle.$$

In the position basis, ##\hat{p}=-i\hbar d/dx##, so it must be that

$$ \hat{p} | p \rangle = -i\hbar \int dx \frac{df(p,x)}{dx} |x\rangle .$$

But this is an eigenvector with eigenvalue ##p##, so it is also the case that

$$ \hat{p}| p \rangle = p | p \rangle = p\int dx f(p,x) |x\rangle.$$

Comparing these leads to an equation:

$$-i\hbar \frac{df(p,x)}{dx} =p f(p,x)$$

which has solution

$$f(p,x) = e^{i px/\hbar}.$$

Computing ##\langle x |p \rangle ## is then just a matter of recognizing a delta function in

$$\int dx' e^{i px'/\hbar} \langle x |x'\rangle.$$

Likes Xyius
Thank you for the reply! This answers my question!

Related to The free particle wave function <x|p>?

1. What is the meaning of the free particle wave function <x|p>?

The free particle wave function <x|p> is a mathematical expression in quantum mechanics that describes the probability amplitude of a free particle to be at a certain position x with a certain momentum p. It is a complex-valued function that can be used to calculate the probability of finding a particle in a particular state.

2. How is the free particle wave function <x|p> related to the position and momentum operators?

The free particle wave function <x|p> is the eigenstate of both the position and momentum operators. This means that when these operators act on the wave function, they return the position and momentum values, respectively. The wave function is also related to the uncertainty principle, as it represents the spread of possible values for position and momentum.

3. What is the normalization condition for the free particle wave function <x|p>?

The free particle wave function <x|p> must satisfy the normalization condition, which states that the integral of the squared magnitude of the wave function over all space must equal 1. This ensures that the probability of finding the particle somewhere in space is 100%.

4. Can the free particle wave function <x|p> be used to describe stationary states?

No, the free particle wave function <x|p> cannot be used to describe stationary states because it is a function of both position and momentum. Stationary states, on the other hand, are only functions of time and do not depend on position or momentum. The free particle wave function is more useful for describing the motion of a particle over time.

5. How does the free particle wave function <x|p> change when the particle is in a potential field?

When a particle is in a potential field, the free particle wave function <x|p> is no longer a valid solution to the Schrödinger equation. It must be modified to include the effects of the potential, resulting in a different wave function. This modified wave function is used to calculate the probability of finding the particle in different positions and momenta while taking into account the potential field.