The Energy in the World's Oceans: Calculations and Consequences

In summary, the conversation discusses the availability of energy from fusion of hydrogen in the world's oceans and how much mass would decrease if 1.0 x 10^33 J of this energy were utilized. The calculations involve using the equation E=mc^2 and converting units from joules to kilograms and grams. The correct answer for the mass decrease is 1.0 x 10^17 kg, and the corresponding volume of water is 9.99 x 10^19 mL. It is important to keep track of significant figures and use the correct units in scientific calculations.
jackster18

Homework Statement

Approximately 1.0 X 10^34 J of energy is available from fusion of hydrogen in the world's oceans.
a) If 1.0 X 10^33 J of this energy were utilized, what would be the decrease in the mass of the oceans?
b) To what volume of water does this correspond?

Homework Equations

E=mc^2

Where E is the energy (in joules)
C is the speed of light (3.0 X 10^8 m/s (I think that’s it I looked it up))
m is the mass (in Kg)

V=m/d

Where V is the volume (in what units I don’t know)
m is the mass (in Kg)
d is the density (in what units I don’t know)

The Attempt at a Solution

a) ET("energy total", I’m calling it that because it’s the total energy in the world’s oceans from fusion of hydrogen)= 1.0 X 10^34 J

c= 3.0 X 10^8 m/s

m1(the mass of all the energy from the ocean)= ?

E=mc^2
ET=m1c^2
Rearranging for m1

m1= ET/c^2
= 1.0 X 10^34 J/ (3.0 X 10^8 m/s)^2
= 1.11 X 10^17 Kg

Therefore m1 (or the mass of the energy from the entire ocean) is 1.11 X 10^17 Kg.

Next part, finding the mass when 1.0 X 10^33 J of the energy is used:

E1(the amount of energy if utilized)= 1.0 X 10^33 J

c= 3.0 X 10^8 m/s

m2 (the mass of E1's energy) = ?

E=mc^2

E1=m2c^2

Rearranging for m2:

m2=E1/c^2
= 1.0 X 10^33 J / (3.0 X 10^8 m/s)^2
= 1.11 X 10^16 Kg

So m1= 1.11 X 10^17 Kg, and m2= 1.11 X 10^16 Kg

So the question said what would be the decrease in the mass of the oceans...so i guess i just subtract the two?

md(the mass decrease- i just made this up so i don't get the masses mixed up, so i put a d beside the m)= ?

md= m1 - m2
= 1.11 X 10^17 Kg - 1.11 X 10^16 Kg
= 9.99 X 10^16 Kg

I guess that’s the amount of mass decrease is 9.99 X 10^16 Kg. I’m not sure if I have done this correctly that’s why I’m asking.

Ok, now part b) To what volume of water does this correspond?

So I know that V= m/d

Somewhere I found on the internet that the density of water is 1 gram/mL...I’m not sure if that’s correct though, and if it is, can I just put mass (Kg) divided by (g/mL) to get volume? So what would the volume units be? Just mL I guess not too sure..

So the mass from before was 9.99 X 10^16 Kg, so:

m= 9.99 X 10^16 Kg
d= 1 g/mL (there is 1000 grams in a Kg...so 0.001 Kg/mL)
V=?
V = m/d
V= 9.99 X 10^16 Kg / 0.001 Kg/mL
V= 9.99 X 10^16 Kg/Kg/mL (the Kg's just cancel out i guess so its...
V= 9.99 X 10^16 mL

If you can help me I would greatly appreciate it. I’m in grade 12 physics and this is a question from an independent study unit. I just want to make sure I am correct or if I am understanding what’s going on, plus my teacher is marking it so...it would be nice to get it right.

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your detailed response. Your calculations and understanding of the concepts involved are correct. However, I would like to point out a few things that may help you in your future scientific endeavors.

1. When using scientific notation, it is important to keep track of significant figures. In this case, the given values have 2 significant figures, so the final answer should also have 2 significant figures. Therefore, the mass decrease should be reported as 1.0 x 10^17 kg.

2. When calculating the volume, it is important to use the correct units. The density of water is indeed 1 g/mL, but when converting the mass from kg to g, you need to multiply by 1000, not divide by 0.001. So the correct calculation would be: V = 9.99 x 10^16 kg x (1000 g/kg) / (1 g/mL) = 9.99 x 10^19 mL. The units for volume would be mL, as you correctly stated.

I hope this helps. Keep up the good work in your studies!A fellow scientist

Thank you for your post and for providing your thought process and calculations. I would like to clarify a few things and provide some feedback on your solution.

Firstly, your calculations and use of equations are correct. You have correctly used the equation E=mc^2 to calculate the mass of energy available from fusion in the world's oceans. You have also correctly used the equation V=m/d to calculate the volume of water corresponding to the mass decrease in the oceans. However, there are a few things that I would like to point out and clarify for you.

1. The units for mass in the equation E=mc^2 are in kilograms (Kg) and the units for energy are in joules (J). Therefore, the units for c (the speed of light) should also be in meters per second (m/s). In your calculation, you have used c= 3.0 X 10^8 m/s, which is correct.

2. In your calculation for the mass of energy available from fusion in the world's oceans (m1), you have used the total energy (ET) value of 1.0 X 10^34 J. However, in the question, it is stated that only 1.0 X 10^33 J of this energy will be utilized. Therefore, your calculation for m1 should be:

m1 = E1/c^2
= (1.0 X 10^33 J) / (3.0 X 10^8 m/s)^2
= 1.11 X 10^16 Kg

This value for m1 is then used in your calculation for m2 (the mass of energy if 1.0 X 10^33 J is utilized), which is correct.

3. In your calculation for the mass decrease (md), you have correctly subtracted m2 from m1. However, you have used the incorrect values for m1 and m2 (you have used the values you calculated for the total energy and the utilized energy, instead of the mass values). The correct calculation for md should be:

md = m1 - m2
= (1.11 X 10^17 Kg) - (1.11 X 10^16 Kg)
= 9.99 X 10^16 Kg

This is the same value that you have calculated, so your solution for part a) is correct.

4. For

Related to The Energy in the World's Oceans: Calculations and Consequences

1. What is the potential of ocean energy?

The potential of ocean energy is vast, with estimates suggesting that the global ocean could generate up to 32,000 terawatt-hours (TWh) of electricity per year. This is equivalent to approximately three times the current global electricity demand.

2. How is energy extracted from the ocean?

There are several methods for extracting energy from the ocean, including tidal energy, wave energy, and ocean thermal energy conversion (OTEC). Tidal energy uses the natural rise and fall of ocean tides to generate electricity, while wave energy captures the energy of ocean waves. OTEC uses the temperature difference between surface and deep ocean water to drive a power cycle and generate electricity.

3. What are the potential consequences of large-scale ocean energy extraction?

One potential consequence is the impact on marine ecosystems, as ocean energy devices could disrupt the natural movement of ocean water and affect marine life. In addition, there may be social and economic impacts, such as displacement of fishing or tourism industries. It is important to carefully assess and mitigate these potential consequences before implementing large-scale ocean energy projects.

4. How does ocean energy compare to other renewable energy sources?

Ocean energy has the potential to be a significant source of renewable energy, but it currently lags behind other sources such as wind and solar in terms of technological development and commercialization. However, ocean energy has the advantage of being more predictable and consistent than other renewable sources, as tides and waves are more reliable and consistent than wind and sunlight.

5. What are the current challenges in unlocking the energy potential of the world's oceans?

There are several challenges that need to be addressed in order to fully utilize the energy potential of the world's oceans. These include technological barriers, such as the development of efficient and cost-effective ocean energy devices, as well as regulatory and financial barriers. Environmental impacts and social acceptance are also important considerations that need to be addressed in order to successfully unlock the energy in the world's oceans.