The electric repulsion of electrons and their attraction

In summary: I was just trying to give a general answer to the question you ask.Zz.In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of electron repulsion and attraction between particles. It is explained that while electrons repel each other, they are attracted to protons due to their opposite charges. The question of whether atoms alone and electrons alone repel or attract is also addressed, with the response that they do not exhibit either behavior. The conversation also delves into the complexities of quantum field theory and the role of virtual particles in explaining the interaction between like and unlike charges.
Quds Akbar
If electrons repel then why are particles attracted to each other so why do particles attract and what is the ratio of the gravitational attraction to the electric repulsion of both an atom and an electron? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Quds Akbar said:
If electrons repel then why are particles attracted to each other so why do particles attract and what is the ratio of the gravitational attraction to the electric repulsion of both an atom and an electron? Thanks!

There appears to be a lack of logic in this question, and I don't think this has anything to do with "quantum physics" where it was posted.

1. Yes, electron repels OTHER electron. But why would it puzzle you that electron and proton attract? After all, they have opposite charge to each other. So to answer your question on why they attract, it is because they have OPPOSITE charge, unlike electron and another electron.

2. "electric repulsion of both an atom and an electron"?? What is this and what gave you the idea that a neutral atom and an electron have a repulsion?

3. The calculation of the electrostatic force and gravitational force are not that difficult. Put two electrons at a distance from each other, and then use the Coulomb force to calculate the repulsive force, and the universal law of gravitation to calculate the attractive force.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
There appears to be a lack of logic in this question, and I don't think this has anything to do with "quantum physics" where it was posted.

1. Yes, electron repels OTHER electron. But why would it puzzle you that electron and proton attract? After all, they have opposite charge to each other. So to answer your question on why they attract, it is because they have OPPOSITE charge, unlike electron and another electron.

2. "electric repulsion of both an atom and an electron"?? What is this and what gave you the idea that a neutral atom and an electron have a repulsion?

3. The calculation of the electrostatic force and gravitational force are not that difficult. Put two electrons at a distance from each other, and then use the Coulomb force to calculate the repulsive force, and the universal law of gravitation to calculate the attractive force.

Zz.
No what I meant is atoms alone and electrons alone. Do atoms repel? That is my question. And I meant by the ratio is the ratio ratio of the gravitational attraction to the electric repulsion of an electron, and the other ratio for atoms if an electric repulsion exists. I am sorry for phrasing that improperly and I hope you now get my point, I will try to do a better job of phrasing statements next time.

Quds Akbar said:
Do atoms repel?

No. They don't attract either.

I am not sure of where you'd get this. We usually teach students that light charges repel, unlike charges attract, and neutral ones don't do anything. Did you miss these lessons that day?

Note that I am excluding any influences of bonding, including Van de Waals forces, etc., since your question is based entirely on classical E&M issues.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:

Actually, it's a puzzle for grad students studying quantum field theory. Why do like charges repel and unlike attract? They both interact through exchange of a photon. So how can bouncing photons back and forth cause attraction in one case and repulsion in the other?

Think about two guys, each sitting in a row boat, and the boats are sitting on a lake. If they throw a baseball back and forth, it will cause them to get farther apart. Each will have to push the ball in the direction of the other, so getting a back reaction. And each will catch the ball coming from the other, again causing a back reaction. So the naïve expectation from normal experience is, tossing photons back and forth should cause repulsion.

The answer is actually pretty tricky, and arises in the fact that the electric field is a quantum field of virtual particles.

DEvens said:
Actually, it's a puzzle for grad students studying quantum field theory. Why do like charges repel and unlike attract? They both interact through exchange of a photon. So how can bouncing photons back and forth cause attraction in one case and repulsion in the other?

Think about two guys, each sitting in a row boat, and the boats are sitting on a lake. If they throw a baseball back and forth, it will cause them to get farther apart. Each will have to push the ball in the direction of the other, so getting a back reaction. And each will catch the ball coming from the other, again causing a back reaction. So the naïve expectation from normal experience is, tossing photons back and forth should cause repulsion.

The answer is actually pretty tricky, and arises in the fact that the electric field is a quantum field of virtual particles.

Do you think this is the level that the OP is asking about? If you did, I certainly missed it in what has been written.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
Do you think this is the level that the OP is asking about? If you did, I certainly missed it in what has been written.

I dunno. My crystal ball is cracked. :smile:

Related to The electric repulsion of electrons and their attraction

1. What is the electric repulsion of electrons?

The electric repulsion of electrons refers to the force that causes two negatively charged electrons to repel each other. This force is a result of the electric field surrounding each electron and is described by Coulomb's law.

2. How does the electric repulsion of electrons affect atoms?

The electric repulsion of electrons plays a crucial role in determining the structure of atoms. As electrons repel each other, they occupy different energy levels and orbitals around the nucleus, resulting in the distinct electronic configurations of different elements.

3. What causes electrons to be attracted to each other?

The attraction between electrons is caused by the opposite charges of the particles. Since electrons have a negative charge, they are attracted to positively charged particles, such as protons in the nucleus of an atom.

4. How does the electric repulsion of electrons contribute to chemical bonding?

The electric repulsion of electrons is responsible for the formation of chemical bonds. When atoms share or transfer electrons, the repulsion between their negatively charged electrons is balanced out by their attraction to the positively charged nuclei, resulting in a stable bond.

5. Can the electric repulsion of electrons be used in technology?

Yes, the electric repulsion of electrons is a fundamental force that is harnessed in many technologies, including electronics and electricity. Understanding and controlling this force is crucial in designing and developing various devices and systems that rely on the movement of electrons.