The electric potential is defined by the function v(x,y,z) =

In summary, the conversation suggests that the individual should provide their reasoning and middle steps rather than just the final answer in their proposed solution. Keeping each term as it is instead of putting it on a common denominator will also make it clearer where each term comes from. The first term was checked and appeared reasonable, but there was a question about the exponent of the z factor. The individual is believed to be on the correct track, but more details are needed to confirm.
Joa Boaz
IMG_0120.jpg

My approach and solution, but not sure if it is correct path:
3A&B.png

Physics news on Phys.org
I would suggest you give us your reasoning and middle steps rater than just providing your final answer in your proposed solution. It will make it much more obvious where you go wrong if you do. I checked the first term only, which looks reasonable apart from the exponent of the z factor. I am guessing you are on the correct track but I really cannot tell if you do not give more details.

I would also keep each term as it is and not try to put it on a common denominator, it will make it more apparent where each term comes from.

Related to The electric potential is defined by the function v(x,y,z) =

1. What is electric potential?

Electric potential is a measure of the amount of electric potential energy per unit charge at a specific point in space. It is a scalar quantity and its unit is volts.

2. How is electric potential calculated?

Electric potential is calculated using the formula V = kq/r, where V is the electric potential, k is the Coulomb's constant, q is the charge, and r is the distance between the charge and the point where the potential is being measured.

3. What does the function v(x,y,z) represent?

The function v(x,y,z) represents the electric potential at a point (x,y,z) in space. It takes into account the positions and magnitudes of all the charges in the surrounding area to calculate the potential at that point.

4. How is electric potential different from electric field?

Electric potential is a scalar quantity that describes the energy of a charge at a specific point in space, while electric field is a vector quantity that describes the force experienced by a charge at a specific point in space. Electric potential is dependent on the electric field, and can be calculated by multiplying the electric field by the distance between the charges.

5. How is the electric potential function used in practical applications?

The electric potential function is used in many practical applications, such as designing electronic circuits, predicting the behavior of charged particles in electric fields, and understanding the behavior of lightning. It is also used in medical imaging techniques such as electrocardiograms and electroencephalograms.