Work of the electric potential

In summary, when the first electron has an initial velocity, the second electron is at rest at a long distance. However, when they get closer to each other, they have kinetic energy and will continue to move.
Jake357
Homework Statement
An electron, having the initial velocity of 10^6 m/s, is approaching from a long distance another electron, which is free and at rest. Calculate the maximum force of interaction between the particles. The answer must be 2.26*10^-10 N
Relevant Equations
KE=mv^2/2
F=ke^2/d^2
I tried to make the kinetic energy of the first electron equal to the electric potential work.
mv^2/2=ke^2/d
We have to solve for the minimum distance between them: d=2ke^2/mv^2=5.05*10^-10 m
The force is: F=ke^2/d^2=9*10^-10 N, which is not correct.

Physics news on Phys.org
The second electron is free to move. Will both electrons ever come to rest?

TSny said:
The second electron is free to move. Will both electrons ever come to rest?
When the first electron has the known initial velocity the second electron is at rest (not moving) at a long unknown distance between them. And I think that when they will get the closest possible to each other they will still be moving, thus both having kinetic energy. So no, I don't think they will be at rest.

Jake357 said:
When the first electron has the known initial velocity the second electron is at rest (not moving) at a long unknown distance between them. And I think that when they will get the closest possible to each other they will still be moving, thus both having kinetic energy. So no, I don't think they will be at rest.
Yes. So, the initial KE is never completely converted into potential energy.

You might consider analyzing this problem form a different frame of reference that is moving relative to the original frame of reference.

If you want to keep the analysis in the original frame, then think about the relation between the velocities of the electrons when they are at minimum separation. Is there another conservation law besides energy conservation that could be helpful here?

Likes PeroK
TSny said:
Yes. So, the initial KE is never completely converted into potential energy.

You might consider analyzing this problem form a different frame of reference that is moving relative to the original frame of reference.

If you want to keep the analysis in the original frame, then think about the relation between the velocities of the electrons when they are at minimum separation. Is there another conservation law besides energy conservation that could be helpful here?
I think the conservation of momentum also should be used.

Jake357 said:
I think the conservation of momentum also should be used.
Yes.

What is electric potential?

Electric potential is a measure of the potential energy per unit charge at a given point in an electric field. It is also known as voltage and is measured in volts (V).

How is electric potential different from electric field?

Electric potential is a scalar quantity that describes the potential energy of a charge at a given point, while electric field is a vector quantity that describes the force experienced by a charge at a given point. Electric potential is dependent on the position of the charge, while electric field is dependent on both the position and magnitude of the charge.

What is the formula for electric potential?

The formula for electric potential is V = kQ/r, where V is the electric potential, k is the Coulomb's constant, Q is the charge, and r is the distance from the charge to the point where the potential is being measured.

How is electric potential measured?

Electric potential is measured using a voltmeter, which measures the potential difference between two points in an electric field. The unit of measurement for electric potential is volts (V).

What is the relationship between electric potential and electric potential energy?

Electric potential energy is the potential energy of a charge at a given point in an electric field. It is directly proportional to electric potential, meaning that as electric potential increases, so does electric potential energy. The formula for electric potential energy is PE = QV, where PE is the potential energy, Q is the charge, and V is the electric potential.