The Ebola Situation : Are you prepared?

• News
  • Thread starter Hepth
  • Start date
  • Tags
    ebola
In summary, the mobile CNN website is giving prominence to two Americans with Ebola for treatment, while the headlines on the other top stories are all about the escalation of the Gaza ceasefire, possible Russia involvement in the Ukranian "rebel" situation, and the republican house placing a rule to halt any progress on the transportation bill.
Hepth
Gold Member
So right now the mobile CNN website has 5/6 "top stories" with Ebola in the headline. We have a horrible escalation and failure of ceasefire in Gaza, Russia is possibly assisting Ukranian "rebels" shoot down airliners, and the republican house just placed a rule to effectively halt any discussion or progess on the transportation bill. Also let's not forget the Australian double gag leaks, or any NSA topics.

But the headlines are all about two Americans who were flown back to the US with Ebola for treatment. I'm sort of ashamed of CNN, or at the very least its viewership. 5 out of six top articles is a lot. Or do you guys feel this is just a distraction tactic for the current state of affairs? I feel like everytime there's any real world news happening we find something "scary" to distract ourselves with. Anyone else notice this?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hepth said:
So right now the mobile CNN website has 5/6 "top stories" with Ebola in the headline. We have a horrible escalation and failure of ceasefire in Gaza, Russia is possibly assisting Ukranian "rebels" shoot down airliners, and the republican house just placed a rule to effectively halt any discussion or progess on the transportation bill. Also let's not forget the Australian double gag leaks, or any NSA topics.

But the headlines are all about two Americans who were flown back to the US with Ebola for treatment. I'm sort of ashamed of CNN, or at the very least its viewership. 5 out of six top articles is a lot. Or do you guys feel this is just a distraction tactic for the current state of affairs? I feel like everytime there's any real world news happening we find something "scary" to distract ourselves with. Anyone else notice this?

CNN always goes with the most sensational story but they are hardly alone. If it takes some serious explanation/discussion then they would MUCH rather substitute wall to wall coverage of something simple ... things are blowing up ! ... flesh eating disease !

I'm sure they have done market studies and found that's the best way to get/keep viewers. They are after all in business to make money. If you want serious news coverage, go with the BBC.

phinds said:
...If you want serious news coverage, go with the BBC.

Please. I'm not sure somber tones from government sponsored media indicate any special lack of bias or corruption.

mheslep said:
Please. I'm not sure somber tones from government sponsored media indicate any special lack of bias or corruption.

Well, then stick with Fox News if you think that's more "fair and balanced" :smile:

They would have 'Breaking News" on juggling clowns if it made them money. News is a product designed to sell soap. Ebola sells soap.

Certainly, for the two individuals and their families, it is a critical matter of their lives.

But the bigger story is the potential for a widespread outbreak.

http://www.motherjones.com/environment/2014/07/we-are-making-ebola-worse

WHO is now focusing on preparing for the disease's inevitable spread to neighboring countries, not a small ask in poor countries with poor health care systems. "We want other countries in West Africa to be ready—bordering countries, Ivory Coast, Mali, Senegal, Guinea Bissau—to prepare themselves in case people affected with the disease may be also traveling," WHO's Dr. Pierre Formenty told a recent briefing in Geneva.

Fox news sells right slanted news to the right just as the other outlets pander to their market niches.

So to get a balance one needs to watch Amy Goodman, Bill OReilly, Dianne Sawyer, PBS News Hour, both AlJazeera and RussiaToday networks, and Charlie Rose, not to mention Jon Stewart.

That's too much TV for me.

Newspapers? News n commentary journals?

Hepth said:

As an economist I'd give you the following question:

Would a media company earn as well if they informed you that nothing interesting happened today and you should switch them off and try your luck tomorrow? If not then there is necessity to find even more shocking news every day.

jim hardy said:
Fox news sells right slanted news to the right just as the other outlets pander to their market niches.

So to get a balance one needs to watch Amy Goodman, Bill OReilly, Dianne Sawyer, PBS News Hour, both AlJazeera and RussiaToday networks, and Charlie Rose, not to mention Jon Stewart.

That's too much TV for me.

Russia Today? Comparing with them Fox News can be proud of being objective and unbiased.And about more serious media - what about The Economist? (suprisingly they have lot's of good journalism unrelated to economics)

And about more serious media - what about The Economist? (suprisingly they have lot's of good journalism unrelated to economics)

Not one I've ever read.

I do take "Foreign Affairs"
http://www.cfr.org/
http://www.foreignaffairs.com/
but even it puts me to sleep. I'd never make it through an economics lournal, I'm afraid.

With respect to the original post, I don't feel that the stories about the current Ebola outbreak are a distraction tactic by the media. If you review the list of Ebola outbreaks, it's clear that the current outbreak is by far the worst with no end in sight.

Borg said:
...with no end in sight.

No, insect transmitted Malaria and the like of the airborne common cold virus have no end in sight. This Ebola outbreak is terrible but they are always temporary given the transmission vector of bodily fluids (if it is) among humans, a disease progression over a few days, and due diligence to stop contact. Will there future outbreaks? Surely.

Last edited:
Fox presented us with Benghazi over kill (not a good choice of words) and CNN spend a month chasing a vanished airliner.

CNN just went one up on the sensationalism scale with the Ebola scare.

I quit watching when I realized that long after an event the two networks keep sensationalizing whatever they think their audience will watch.

Has either one of them covered the algae bloom and water contamination in Toledo Ohio? I really don't know I seldom watch either one.

Here is a local Fox affiliate using a CNN feed?

http://foxct.com/2014/08/03/400000-in-toledo-ohio-water-scare-await-test-results/

http://abcnews.go.com/US/caused-toledos-water-contamination/story?id=24825275

400,000 people without water in Ohio seems as newsworthy as it gets, yet it was on page four of my local newspaper.

mheslep said:
No, insect transmitted Malaria and the like of the airborne common cold virus have no end in sight. This Ebola outbreak is terrible but they are always temporary given the transmission vector of bodily fluids (if it is) among humans, a disease progression over a few days, and due diligence to stop contact. Will there future outbreaks? Surely.
Yes I understand, most outbreaks last no more than six months or so. I meant that there's no current end in sight for this event. This event is likely to be of a longer duration because villagers have started chasing off the men in hazmat suits who take their relatives away, bring them back in body bags and don't allow them a proper burial according to their traditions.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/07/13/health-ebola-westafrica-idUSL6N0PO0V220140713.

But, I'm getting too far off topic by discussing Ebola in this thread that isn't about Ebola. :rolleyes:

I believe people perceive the Ebola outbreak to be a more immediate threat to themselves and/or friends and family.

Related to The Ebola Situation : Are you prepared?

What is Ebola?

Ebola is a highly infectious and often deadly virus that was first identified in 1976 in the Democratic Republic of Congo. It belongs to the family Filoviridae and is transmitted to humans through contact with infected animals, such as fruit bats, or through contact with bodily fluids of infected individuals.

How does Ebola spread?

Ebola can spread through direct contact with the blood, secretions, organs, or other bodily fluids of infected individuals. It can also be transmitted through contact with contaminated surfaces or objects. The virus is not airborne and cannot be spread through casual contact or through water or food.

What are the symptoms of Ebola?

The symptoms of Ebola usually appear 2-21 days after exposure to the virus. These can include fever, headache, muscle pain, weakness, fatigue, diarrhea, vomiting, abdominal pain, and unexplained hemorrhaging. Ebola can progress to severe illness, including organ failure and death.

How do you prevent Ebola?

The best way to prevent Ebola is to avoid contact with the virus. This includes avoiding contact with infected individuals, avoiding travel to areas with known outbreaks, and practicing good hygiene, such as washing your hands regularly with soap and water.

What should I do if I think I have been exposed to Ebola?

If you believe you have been exposed to Ebola, it is important to seek medical attention immediately. Symptoms can appear up to 21 days after exposure, so it is important to monitor your health closely and inform healthcare professionals of your potential exposure. Isolation and quarantine measures may be necessary to prevent further spread of the virus.

Back