The difference between strain and strain_y

In summary: The equations do not represent different values of strain, but rather different values of stress and strain at the yield point. This is why they are both labeled as E. In summary, the equations in the lab for strain and elastic modulus may seem different from the textbook, but they refer to specific values at the yield point. Without the subscripts, the equations represent general values within the proportional limit.
1question

Homework Statement

I am doing a lab. My textbook defines strain as ε= lf-lo and E = σ/ε. In my lab, E= σyy. εy = ΔLy/lo

I do not understand how they can both = ε as lf-lo is completely different from ΔLy/lo. ΔLy is "elongation at yeild" according to my lab. Why are they both labelled E if they are different? The y subscript, according to the lab, has to do with the yield point. I was under the impression that there was only 1 elastic modulus as after the yield point, stress and strain are no longer proportional and plastic deformation occurs.

Homework Equations

See above.

The Attempt at a Solution

I can only conclude I am either missing something or the equations mean the same thing, somehow.

Physics news on Phys.org
1question said:

Homework Statement

I am doing a lab. My textbook defines strain as ε= lf-lo
that is elongation, not strain... Did you copy this down incorrectly?
and E = σ/ε. In my lab, E= σyy. εy = ΔLy/lo

I do not understand how they can both = ε as lf-lo is completely different from ΔLy/lo. ΔLy is "elongation at yeild" according to my lab. Why are they both labelled E if they are different? The y subscript, according to the lab, has to do with the yield point. I was under the impression that there was only 1 elastic modulus as after the yield point, stress and strain are no longer proportional and plastic deformation occurs.
correct. Lf -Lo = ΔL = elongation, and ΔL/Lo = ε = σ/E

Homework Equations

See above.

The Attempt at a Solution

I can only conclude I am either missing something or the equations mean the same thing, somehow.
correct the definition for strain in your text. The y subscripts then refer to specific values of stress and strain etc at yield. Without the subscripts, these are the general equations within the proportional limit.

Thank you, I understand now.

Related to The difference between strain and strain_y

Question 1: What is the definition of strain and strain_y?

Strain is a measure of the deformation or change in shape that occurs in a material when subjected to external forces. Strain_y, on the other hand, refers specifically to the deformation that occurs in the y-direction, or perpendicular to the applied force.

Question 2: How is strain different from strain_y?

The main difference between strain and strain_y is the direction in which the material is being deformed. Strain is a general term that can refer to any type of deformation, while strain_y specifically refers to deformation in the y-direction.

Question 3: Can strain and strain_y be measured in the same way?

Yes, both strain and strain_y can be measured using the same methods, such as strain gauges or extensometers. The only difference is that the measurements will be taken in different directions.

Question 4: How are strain and strain_y related to each other?

Strain and strain_y are related through the material's properties, such as its Young's modulus and Poisson's ratio. These properties determine how the material will deform under a given amount of stress in a specific direction.

Question 5: What are some real-world examples of strain and strain_y?

Strain and strain_y are commonly observed in structures and materials under stress, such as bridges, buildings, and even human bones. For example, when a bridge is subjected to heavy traffic, the beams and columns experience both strain and strain_y as they bend and flex under the weight.