The Determinant of a Matrix with n+1 Ones: Is It Always -1, 0, or 1?

In summary: If the top row has only zeroes, then the determinant of $A$ is equal to $0$.If the top row has exactly 1 one, then the determinant is equal to determinant of the $n\times n$ submatrix, of which the coefficient is $1$. From the inductive hypothesis we get that this will be equal to $-1$, $0$ or $1$, right?
mathmari
Gold Member
MHB
Hey! :eek:

Let $A \in\mathbb{R}^{n\times n}$, $n\geq 3$ be a matrix with $n+1$ elements $1$ and the remaining elements are $0$. I want to show that $\det (A)\in \{-1, 0, 1\}$ and each of these $3$ possible values can occur.

Could you give me a hint how we could show that? I got stuck right now. (Wondering)

Physics news on Phys.org
mathmari said:
Hey! :eek:

Let $A \in\mathbb{R}^{n\times n}$, $n\geq 3$ be a matrix with $n+1$ elements $1$ and the remaining elements are $0$. I want to show that $\det (A)\in \{-1, 0, 1\}$ and each of these $3$ possible values can occur.

Could you give me a hint how we could show that? I got stuck right now. (Wondering)

Hey mathmari! (Smile)

What about induction?
We can include the 2x2 matrix for which it also holds true.

Did you know that we can evaluate any determinant like this:
$$\begin{vmatrix} a & b & c & d\\e & f & g & h\\i & j & k & l\\m & n & o & p \end{vmatrix}=a\,\begin{vmatrix} f & g & h\\j & k & l\\n & o & p \end{vmatrix}-b\,\begin{vmatrix} e & g & h\\i & k & l\\m & o & p \end{vmatrix}+c\,\begin{vmatrix} e & f & h\\i & j & l\\m & n & p \end{vmatrix}-d\,\begin{vmatrix} e & f & g\\i & j & k\\m & n & o \end{vmatrix}$$
(Wondering)

I like Serena said:
Hey mathmari! (Smile)

What about induction?
We can include the 2x2 matrix for which it also holds true.

Did you know that we can evaluate any determinant like this:
$$\begin{vmatrix} a & b & c & d\\e & f & g & h\\i & j & k & l\\m & n & o & p \end{vmatrix}=a\,\begin{vmatrix} f & g & h\\j & k & l\\n & o & p \end{vmatrix}-b\,\begin{vmatrix} e & g & h\\i & k & l\\m & o & p \end{vmatrix}+c\,\begin{vmatrix} e & f & h\\i & j & l\\m & n & p \end{vmatrix}-d\,\begin{vmatrix} e & f & g\\i & j & k\\m & n & o \end{vmatrix}$$
(Wondering)

Base case:
For $n=2$ we have that $\begin{vmatrix} a & b \\ c & d\end{vmatrix}=ad-bc$.
Since $n+1=3$ elements are equal to $1$ we have that one element is $0$. That means that the result is either $1$ or $-1$.

For $n=3$ we have that $\begin{vmatrix} a & b & c\\ d & e & f \\ g & h & i\end{vmatrix}=a\,\begin{vmatrix} e & f \\ h & i\end{vmatrix}-b\,\begin{vmatrix} d & f \\g & i \end{vmatrix}+c\,\begin{vmatrix} d & e\\g & h \end{vmatrix}$.
Since $n+1=4$ elements are equal to $1$ we have that $9$ elements are equal to $0$.
If $a=b=c=0$ then the result is equal to $0$.
If at least one of the $a,b,c,d$ is non-zero, then we have from the previous case that the $2\times 2$ determinants will be equal to $1$ or $-1$. Therefore, the $3\times 3$ determinant will be equal to $-1$, $0$ or $1$.

Is this correct? Or could we improve the justification? (Wondering) Inductive hypothesis:
We suppose that $n\times n$ determinant will is equal to $-1$, $0$ or $1$. Inductive step:
The expansion of Laplace allows to reduce the computation of the $(n+1)\times (n+1)$ determinant to that of $n+1$ $(n\times n)$ determinants.
These $n+1$ determinants are equal to $-1$, $0$ or $1$.
We have $n+2$ elements that are equal to $1$ and the remaining ones are $0$.

How could we continue? I got stuck right now. (Wondering)

Let's distinguish 3 cases: the top row has only zeroes, it has exactly 1 one, or it has 2 or more ones... (Thinking)

I like Serena said:
Let's distinguish 3 cases: the top row has only zeroes, it has exactly 1 one, or it has 2 or more ones... (Thinking)

If the top row has only zeroes, then the determinant of $A$ is equal to $0$.

If the top row has exactly 1 one, then the determinant is equal to determinant of the $n\times n$ submatrix, of which the coefficient is $1$. From the inductive hypothesis we get that this will be equal to $-1$, $0$ or $1$, right? (Wondering)

If the top row has 2 or more ones, then the determinant of $A$ is equal to the determinant of the 2 or more $n$-submatrices. These, from the inductive hypothesis, will be equal to $-1$, $0$ or $1$. How do we know that the result is not $2$ for example? (Wondering)

Isn't the inductive hypothesis that an nxn matrix with n+1 ones is -1,0, or 1?
What if an nxn matrix has n ones? Or less than n ones?

Related to The Determinant of a Matrix with n+1 Ones: Is It Always -1, 0, or 1?

1. What is the definition of a determinant of a matrix?

The determinant of a matrix is a numerical value that is calculated from the elements of the matrix. It is a measure of the matrix's linear transformation properties and is used to solve systems of linear equations and perform other mathematical operations.

2. How is the determinant of a matrix calculated?

The determinant of a matrix is calculated by using a specific formula based on the size of the matrix. For a 2x2 matrix, the formula is ad-bc, where a, b, c, and d are the elements of the matrix. For larger matrices, the calculation involves finding the determinant of smaller submatrices and combining them using a recursive process.

3. What is the significance of the determinant of a matrix?

The determinant of a matrix has several important applications in mathematics and science. It is used to determine if a matrix is invertible, to solve systems of linear equations, and to calculate the area or volume of a parallelogram or parallelepiped, respectively. It is also used in the study of linear transformations and eigenvalues.

4. What are the properties of the determinant of a matrix?

The determinant of a matrix has several key properties, including: it is equal to zero if the matrix is not invertible, it is equal to the product of the eigenvalues of the matrix, it is equal to the product of the diagonal elements for a triangular matrix, and it follows the rule of scalar multiplication and addition/subtraction.

5. What are some real-world applications of the determinant of a matrix?

The determinant of a matrix has many practical applications, such as in computer graphics and image processing, where it is used to rotate, scale, and shear images. It is also used in physics and engineering to solve problems involving systems of linear equations, such as in electricity and magnetism, fluid mechanics, and structural analysis. In addition, the determinant has applications in economics and finance, such as in input-output models and portfolio optimization.