The Day After Oil: Alternatives and Solutions

• Thread starter estro
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Oil
In summary: Solar and other renewable power sources are great, but they need more funding. Fossil fuels will continue to be used for a while, but it's getting more and more expensive.

The day after oil?

• Total voters
estro
Its not a secret that the human race runs on 3 essential liquids; water, beer and oil.
Mother nature gifts us the first, we know how to cook the second but the third is somewhat problematic.

What alternatives we have now, nuclear power for electricity? But what will happen in the transportation industry or the food industry which is highly depended on oil?

For many years now we talk about electrical and some kind of hybrid cars [but what about airplanes], although I don't think these are adequate long term solutions.

I think we are intelligent enough and have the time to avoid apocalyptic scenario, or maybe I'm wrong?

[Edit] How can I edit the poll? [I've made a typo]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
We already have viable alternatives, and as far as oil usage is concerned it's a problem sure, but it's far from critical (ie we aren't just going to run out) it's just getting more expensive. Currently it's still the cheapest and most viable solution for transport.

More funding to alternative transport/fuel research means we will get it quicker. Simple.

estro said:
Its not a secret that the human race runs on 3 essential liquids; water, beer and oil.
Mother nature gifts us the first, we know how to cook the second but the third is somewhat problematic.

Actually, usable fresh water is as big a problem as oil. Except, in the case of water, the problem is that the water always seems to be in the places that don't need it and never in the places that really need it.

In any event, human history is filled with civilizations that progressed to a new level, only fall back into a more primitive level. During those first decades before the rules of new culture have been etched in stone, it isn't that hard for that particular civilization to fragment into parts too small to maintain the whole.

There's no reason to think that a post-industrial culture is so different from any culture that has come before that we're exempt from the possibility of fragmenting into more primitive cultures.

The crisis will hit us actually long before the oil will run out, imagine how the food price will skyrocket when oil gets too expensive. This will bring chaos to many poor countries not before long the whole world can be ignited into conflict. Or maybe I'm to dramatic here?

I think it's something like 10 hydrocarbon calories per 1 "food" calorie consumed, so I don't think you're being overly dramatic.

We have the alternatives but the corporate bigwigs only want more money, not a sustainable planet. The USA is such a big player, but earn so much money from their wells that they want to keep them going. solar needs a decade or so to become a major source that is highly efficient. Nuclear is very "green" unless a mistake happens. the other problem is that the Chinese have a lot of coal and will make money on that. I sure hope that a Major government think about the Earth before their wallets.
watch the movie "the story of stuff" please
sorry that this is so opinionated, BT

brother time said:
We have the alternatives but the corporate bigwigs only want more money, not a sustainable planet. The USA is such a big player, but earn so much money from their wells that they want to keep them going. solar needs a decade or so to become a major source that is highly efficient. Nuclear is very "green" unless a mistake happens. the other problem is that the Chinese have a lot of coal and will make money on that. I sure hope that a Major government think about the Earth before their wallets.
watch the movie "the story of stuff" please
sorry that this is so opinionated, BT

You mean we do have an alternative to oil and it's products?
So we can put it into our planes and automobiles and keep going?
I'm not so sure.

It's electricity. Given the funding the car car and oil companies have, we could probably produce a battery that could do the job. Look at the cap that Obama put on oil spill costs: 75 million, I don't think so. 1 billion is more like it. They are wrecking the planet with our greed.
cheers, BT

Don't forget batteries are made of nickel, and like oil nickel is finite.

I selected the second option, but the reality will likely be somewhere between the second and first (but closer to the second).

I agree with Russ

Related to The Day After Oil: Alternatives and Solutions

1. What are the main alternatives to oil?

The main alternatives to oil are renewable energy sources such as solar, wind, hydro, geothermal, and bioenergy. These sources are considered more sustainable and environmentally friendly compared to fossil fuels.

2. How feasible is it to transition to alternative energy sources?

The feasibility of transitioning to alternative energy sources depends on various factors such as availability, accessibility, and cost. While some countries have successfully made the switch, it may be more challenging for others due to their current infrastructure and economic dependence on oil.

3. How will the shift to alternative energy sources affect the economy?

The shift to alternative energy sources may have both positive and negative impacts on the economy. On one hand, there may be job losses in the oil industry, but on the other hand, there will be job creation in the renewable energy sector. Additionally, there may be a decrease in the cost of energy in the long run.

4. Are there any potential risks or drawbacks to using alternative energy sources?

While alternative energy sources are generally considered more sustainable, there are potential risks and drawbacks to be aware of. For example, some renewable energy technologies may have negative impacts on the environment, such as the use of large amounts of water or land. Additionally, the production of certain renewable energy components may also have negative environmental impacts.

5. How can individuals contribute to a future without oil?

Individuals can contribute to a future without oil by reducing their personal consumption of fossil fuels and investing in renewable energy options. This can include using public transportation or electric vehicles, supporting renewable energy companies, and reducing energy consumption at home. Additionally, advocating for government policies and initiatives that promote alternative energy sources can also have a significant impact.