THE D'Alembert Solution for the 1D Wave Equation

In summary: That gives the result u(x,t)= (1/2)f(x-ct)+ (1/2)f(x+ct)+ (1/2c)\int_{x-ct}^{x+ct} g(y)dy. In summary, the D'alembert equation is derived from the 1-d wave equation by using the general solution and initial conditions. The limits of integration are found by manipulating the equations and choosing convenient limits, ultimately leading to the final solution.
tom_rylex

Homework Statement

I am looking at the derivation of the D'alembert equation, and I'm having trouble with understanding where the limits of integration come in.

Homework Equations

Given the 1-d wave equation:
[tex] u_{tt} = c^2u_{xx} [/tex], with the general solution [tex] u(x,t)= \theta(x-ct) + \psi(x+ct) [/tex] and the initial conditions
[tex] u(x,0)=f(x) [/tex], [tex] u_t(x,0)=g(x) [/tex]

Show that the solution is
[tex] u(x,t)=\frac{1}{2} \left[ f(x+ct) + f(x-ct) +\frac{1}{c}\int_{x-ct}^{x+ct} g(y)dy \right] [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

If I take the second of the initial conditions, I get
[tex] -c\theta'(x)+c\phi'(x)=g(x) [/tex]
[tex] -\theta(x)+\phi(x)=\frac{1}{c}\int g(x) [/tex],

I guess I just don't understand where the limits of integration come from to yield
[tex] \frac{1}{c} \int_{-\infty}^x g(y) dy [/tex]
on the right hand side.

Physics news on Phys.org
tom_rylex said:

Homework Statement

I am looking at the derivation of the D'alembert equation, and I'm having trouble with understanding where the limits of integration come in.

Homework Equations

Given the 1-d wave equation:
[tex] u_{tt} = c^2u_{xx} [/tex], with the general solution [tex] u(x,t)= \theta(x-ct) + \psi(x+ct) [/tex] and the initial conditions
[tex] u(x,0)=f(x) [/tex], [tex] u_t(x,0)=g(x) [/tex]

Show that the solution is
[tex] u(x,t)=\frac{1}{2} \left[ f(x+ct) + f(x-ct) +\frac{1}{c}\int_{x-ct}^{x+ct} g(y)dy \right] [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

If I take the second of the initial conditions, I get
[tex] -c\theta'(x)+c\phi'(x)=g(x) [/tex]
[tex] -\theta(x)+\phi(x)=\frac{1}{c}\int g(x) [/tex],
You want "psi", [itex]\psi[/itex], not "phi", [itex]\phi[/itex]!

I guess I just don't understand where the limits of integration come from to yield
[tex] \frac{1}{c} \int_{-\infty}^x g(y) dy [/tex]
on the right hand side.
Okay, you have, correctly, [itex]-\theta(x)+ \psi(x)= (1/c)\int g(x)dx[/itex]
If you add the first initial condition, [itex]\theta(x)+ \psi(x)= f(x)[/itex], you get [itex]2\psi(x)= f(x)+ (1/c)\int g(x)dx[/itex] so [itex]\psi(x)= (1/2)f(x)+ (1/2c)\int g(x)dx[/itex]. We can "fix" the undermined constant in that integral by choosing what every limits of integration are convenient, say 0 and x: [itex]\psi(x)= (1/2)f(x)+ (1/2c)\int_0^x g(y)dy+ C[/itex]. Then, since, from your equation again, [itex]\theta(x)= \psi(x)- (1/c)\int g(x)dx[/itex], [itex]\theta(x)= (1/2)f(x)- (1/2c)\int_0^x g(y)dx+ C[/itex]. Now, replace x with "x-ct" and "x+ ct" in [itex]\theta[/itex] and [itex]\psi[/itex] respectively:
[tex]u(x,t)= \theta(x-ct)+ \psi(x+ ct)= (1/2)f(x-ct)- \int_0^{x-ct}g(t)dt- C+ (1/2)f(x+ ct)+ \int_0^{x-ct}g(t)dt+ C[/tex]

Notice that "-C" and "C" cancel while [itex]\int_0^{x-ct}g(y)dy= -\int_{x-ct}^0 g(y)dy[/itex] so the two integrals combine as [itex]\int_0^{x+ ct}g(y) dy+ \int_{x-ct}^0 g(y)dy= \int_{x-ct}^{x+ct} g(y)dy[/itex].

Related to THE D'Alembert Solution for the 1D Wave Equation

What is the D'alembert derivation?

The D'alembert derivation is a mathematical technique used to solve partial differential equations, specifically the wave equation. It was developed by French mathematician and physicist Jean le Rond d'Alembert in the 18th century.

What is the basic concept behind the D'alembert derivation?

The basic concept behind the D'alembert derivation is to convert a partial differential equation into a simpler form by introducing a new variable, known as the D'alembert variable. This variable allows for the separation of variables in the differential equation, making it easier to solve.

What is the D'alembert variable?

The D'alembert variable, also known as the characteristic variable, is a new variable introduced in the D'alembert derivation to simplify partial differential equations. It is defined as the sum of the spatial and temporal coordinates multiplied by a constant.

What are the steps involved in the D'alembert derivation?

The steps involved in the D'alembert derivation are as follows:
1. Introduce the D'alembert variable
2. Substitute the D'alembert variable into the partial differential equation
3. Multiply both sides of the equation by the D'alembert variable
4. Use the chain rule to simplify the equation
5. Apply the separation of variables method
6. Solve the resulting ordinary differential equations
7. Substitute the solutions back into the D'alembert variable to get the general solution.

What are the applications of the D'alembert derivation?

The D'alembert derivation has various applications in physics, engineering, and mathematics. Some examples include the study of wave propagation, vibrations in structures, and heat transfer. It is also used in the study of acoustics, electromagnetism, and fluid dynamics.