The CT complex exponential is NOT periodic

In summary, the conversation discusses the CT complex exponential of the form x(t) = C eat with C and a complex number, and whether it is a periodic signal or not. The use of exponential and Euler's formula is mentioned and it is concluded that the function is not periodic. Clarification is requested and the conversation ends with a suggestion to revise Euler's formulae.
fishingspree2
I'm taking a signals and systems class and the textbook (Signals and systems by Oppenheim) says the CT complex exponential of the form x(t) = C eat with C and a complex is a periodic signal. I fail to see how.

Let C = |C| e (exponential form of a complex number)
and a = r + jω (rectangular form)

Plugging into x(t) = C eat, and using euler's formula

x(t) = |C| ert * [cos(α+ωt) + j sin(α+ωt)]

What's inside the brackets is obviously periodic but the whole function is obviously not because of the ert term...

A function is periodic if there exists a T such as x(t) = x(t+T) for any t, and obviously there isn't any such T for the CT complex exponential...

Any clarifications?

Engineering news on Phys.org
I can only suggest you revise Euler's formulae. You have one too many exponentials in your expression.

eiθ = cosθ + i sinθ

go well

fishingspree2 said:
I'm taking a signals and systems class and the textbook (Signals and systems by Oppenheim) says the CT complex exponential of the form x(t) = C eat with C and a complex is a periodic signal. I fail to see how.

Let C = |C| e (exponential form of a complex number)
and a = r + jω (rectangular form)
Are these formulas from the book? It does not make sense as
[itex]e^{ja}=e^{jr}e^{-ω}\;[/itex] according to the given formula.

Plugging into x(t) = C eat, and using euler's formula
x(t) = |C| ert * [cos(α+ωt) + j sin(α+ωt)]

What's inside the brackets is obviously periodic but the whole function is obviously not because of the ert term...

A function is periodic if there exists a T such as x(t) = x(t+T) for any t, and obviously there isn't any such T for the CT complex exponential...

Any clarifications?

If the formula is from the book, I don't see how. If it is not from the book, can you type out the exact formulas given by the book?

Last edited:
Studiot said:
I can only suggest you revise Euler's formulae. You have one too many exponentials in your expression.

eiθ = cosθ + i sinθ

go well

yungman said:
If the formula is from the book, I don't see how. If it is not from the book, can you type out the exact formulas given by the book?

x(t) = C eat with C and a complex numbers

If C is a complex number, it can be written as |C| e where |C| is the magnitude of C (nothing fancy here, its just the exponential form of a complex number)

If a is a complex number, it can be written as r + jω (nothing fancy again, this is the rectangular form of a complex number)

Plugging back
x(t) = C eat
= |C| e * e(r+jω)t
= |C| e * ert * ejωt
= |C| ert *ej(α+ωt)
= |C| ert *[ cos(α+ωt) + j sin(α+ωt) ]

This is not periodic...

fishingspree2 said:
x(t) = C eat with C and a complex numbers

If C is a complex number, it can be written as |C| e where |C| is the magnitude of C (nothing fancy here, its just the exponential form of a complex number)

If a is a complex number, it can be written as r + jω (nothing fancy again, this is the rectangular form of a complex number)

Plugging back
x(t) = C eat
= |C| e * e(r+jω)t
= |C| e * ert * ejωt
= |C| ert *ej(α+ωt)
= |C| ert *[ cos(α+ωt) + j sin(α+ωt) ]

This is not periodic...

OK, I miss read [itex]\alpha[/itex] as "a". That's cause the confusion. It looks good to me!

[tex]x(t)=C e^{at}=|C|e^{j\alpha}e^{rt+j\omega t}=|C|e^{j\alpha}e^{rt}e^{j\omega t}=|C|e^{rt} e^{j(\alpha+\omega t)}[/tex]

[tex] e^{j(\alpha + \omega t)}=\cos (\alpha + \omega t) + j\sin(\alpha + \omega t) [/tex]
[tex]\Rightarrow \;x(t)=|C|e^{rt}[\cos (\alpha + \omega t) + j\sin(\alpha + \omega t) ][/tex]

If r is a negative number, the amplitude decrease with time and the signal decay.
If r is positive, then the signal grow with time and most likely you got a problem!

Last edited:

Related to The CT complex exponential is NOT periodic

1. What does it mean for the CT complex exponential to be non-periodic?

The CT complex exponential is a mathematical function that describes the behavior of a continuous-time system. When we say it is non-periodic, it means that the function does not repeat itself after a certain time interval. In other words, there is no fixed period after which the function repeats itself.

2. How is the non-periodicity of the CT complex exponential different from a periodic function?

A periodic function repeats itself after a fixed period, whereas a non-periodic function does not. This means that a periodic function has a predictable pattern, while a non-periodic function does not have a fixed pattern.

3. Can the CT complex exponential ever be periodic?

No, the CT complex exponential is a non-periodic function by definition. It is a fundamental property of the function and cannot be changed.

4. What implications does the non-periodicity of the CT complex exponential have in real-world applications?

The non-periodicity of the CT complex exponential means that the behavior of continuous-time systems cannot be predicted with absolute certainty. This can make it challenging to model and control these systems, as their behavior may change over time without a fixed repeating pattern.

5. Are there any advantages to having a non-periodic CT complex exponential?

While the non-periodicity of the CT complex exponential can make it challenging to work with, it also allows for a more diverse range of behaviors in continuous-time systems. This can be advantageous in certain applications where a fixed repeating pattern may not be desirable.