Complex Exponential solutions in time invariant systems

In summary, the conversation revolved around time translational invariance in coupled oscillators. It was discussed that a system with this property follows the equation x(t+c) = f(c)x(t), and when differentiating with respect to c and setting c=0, it leads to a differential equation with the solution x(t) = exp^(omega)(t). There was a question about how the time derivative of f(c) comes into the equation if f(c) is only dependent on c, and whether Noether's theorem applies here. The explanation provided clarified that the derivative is evaluated at 0 and not with respect to t.
Dagorodir
Hi there! First Post :D

In a recent CM module we've been looking at coupled oscillators and the role of time translational invariance in the description of such physical systems. I will present the statement that I am having trouble understanding and then continue to elaborate.

In stating that a system has a time translational invariance, it follows that

x(t+c) = f(c)x(t)

where x(t) is some function of time, f(c) is some function of proportionality dependent on some constant c, and therefore x(t+c) is the function x at some later time.

After this, it is stated that differentiating with respect to c and setting c=0 gives

d/dt[x(t)] = (omega) x(t) where (omega) = d/dt[ f(c=0) ]

It's then given that x(t) = exp^(omega)(t)I can clearly see that the exponential form is a solution to differential equation above. My question is how is the differential equation derived with no known form of x(t)? In particular, how does the time derivative of f(c) come into the equation if f(c) is only dependent on c? (I understand that the chain and product rules must be used but wouldn't the time derivative of f(c) return a zero value?)

As well as this, some friends have alluded to Noether's theorem as the governance of this particular rule; is this warranted? I don't see any particular conservation laws here.

Any help or insight is much appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Dagorodir,
The first thing you say is done is the differentiating with respect to c.
If you do this, you should get:
##\frac{\partial}{\partial c}x(t+c) = f'(c)x(t)##
Setting c to zero, you get
##\frac{\partial}{\partial c}x(t+0) = f'(0)x(t)##
Now, notice that if you set dt = dc, then
## x(t+dt) = x(t+dc)##
So, at c=0,
##\frac{\partial}{\partial c}x(t+c) = \frac{\partial}{\partial t}x(t+c)##
Then you can jump to the conclusion:
##\frac{\partial}{\partial t}x(t) = f'(0)x(t)##
Where ##f'(0) = \omega##.
I think that the only problem in the explanation you posted was in using d/dt (f(c)) to define omega. f is a function of one variable, and you want to find its derivative evaluated at 0.

Likes Dagorodir
Hi RUber,

Thanks for your reply!

Your explanation makes sense to me; I think that I was failing to make the link between the derivatives and therefore using the fact that c is a constant to get over the last hurdle.

Thanks again

Related to Complex Exponential solutions in time invariant systems

1. What are complex exponential solutions in time invariant systems?

Complex exponential solutions in time invariant systems refer to a type of mathematical solution that describes the behavior of a system over time. This type of solution is characterized by complex numbers, which have both real and imaginary components. Complex exponential solutions are important in the study of time invariant systems because they can accurately describe the behavior of systems that exhibit oscillatory or damped behavior.

2. How are complex exponential solutions used in scientific research?

Complex exponential solutions are used in many different fields of scientific research, including physics, engineering, and mathematics. They are particularly useful in modeling the behavior of physical systems, such as electrical circuits, mechanical systems, and chemical reactions. In addition, complex exponential solutions are also used in signal processing, control theory, and other areas of engineering where time invariant systems are studied.

3. What is the difference between a real exponential solution and a complex exponential solution?

A real exponential solution only has a real component, while a complex exponential solution has both real and imaginary components. This means that a real exponential solution can only describe systems that exhibit exponential growth or decay, while a complex exponential solution can describe a wider range of behavior, including oscillatory and damped behavior.

4. How are complex exponential solutions related to the concept of eigenvalues?

In the context of time invariant systems, complex exponential solutions are closely related to the concept of eigenvalues. Eigenvalues are special values that describe the behavior of a system in response to a specific input. The complex exponential solutions of a system are determined by the eigenvalues of the system's characteristic equation, which is a mathematical equation that describes the behavior of the system over time.

5. Can complex exponential solutions be used to solve any type of time invariant system?

Yes, complex exponential solutions can be used to solve any type of time invariant system. This is because the behavior of a time invariant system can be fully described by a set of differential equations, and complex exponential solutions are a general solution to these types of equations. However, in some cases, it may be more practical to use other methods or techniques to solve a particular system.