The constants of physics not constant

In summary, the coupling constant g cancels out in the commutator for isospin, as it should since group theory does not depend on the physical coupling. It is better to use a different normalization where the coupling constant is factored out, resulting in dimensionless generators.
Jim Kata
I'm in a hurry so I'm going to say this quick.

For angular momentum you have

[tex][J_i ,J_j ] = i\hbar \varepsilon _{ijk} J_k [/tex]

and for isospin you have

[tex][t_i,t_j] = ig\varepsilon_{ijk}t_k[/tex]

now, [tex]\hbar[/tex] is viewed as a constant, but [tex]g[/tex] is allowed to change it's value due to renormalization group flow. It seems to me that [tex]\hbar[/tex] can not be a constant then. Where is my reasoning going wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
Quick answer: the g (and the [itex]\hbar[/itex]) cancels out.

With this choice of normalization for your generators, the isospin group elements are of the form:

[tex]e^{-i\vec{t}\cdot\vec{\theta}/g}[/tex]

So that in the end, the coupling cancels out. This is as it should be, since the group theory doesn't care what the physical coupling is! To see things more clearly, it is better to use a different normalization, where [itex]\vec{t}\rightarrow g\vec{t}[/itex]. Then the g cancels out of your commutator right away, and the group element makes no reference to g at all.

Another way to say what I said above is that you usually want your generators to be dimensionless. That is why, for example, we often use the Pauli Matrices and not the actual angular momentum matrices. That way, the group generators are all dimensionless, and when you need the physical angular momentum/isospin/etc, THEN you can add the necessary factors of g and [itex]\hbar[/itex].

Related to The constants of physics not constant

1. What are the constants of physics not constant?

The constants of physics not constant refer to physical quantities that were previously believed to be unchanging, but have now been found to vary over time or space.

2. Why are the constants of physics not constant?

The reasons for the variation in constants of physics are still being studied and debated by scientists. Some propose that it could be due to the expansion of the universe, while others suggest it could be caused by interactions with dark energy or other unknown forces.

3. How do scientists measure the variation in constants of physics?

Scientists use highly precise instruments and experiments to measure the values of constants of physics and track any changes over time or space. One example is the measurement of the fine structure constant using atomic clocks.

4. What implications do the varying constants of physics have on our understanding of the universe?

The varying constants of physics challenge our current understanding and theories of the universe. It could potentially lead to the development of new theories and a deeper understanding of the fundamental laws of physics.

5. Is there evidence to support the idea of varying constants of physics?

Yes, there have been various studies and experiments that have shown evidence for the variation of constants of physics. One example is the observation of the fine structure constant varying in different parts of the universe.