Recovering the generator of rotation from canonical commutation relations

In summary, the conversation discusses the definition of angular momentum in advanced quantum mechanics. The speaker mentions that the book by Sakurai defines the generator for infinitesimal rotations as 1-i(J・n/ħ)dφ, where J is the angular momentum operator and n is the rotation axis. This definition leads to the canonical commutation relations for the angular momentum operator. The question is whether it is possible to define the commutation relations and then derive the expression for the generator of infinitesimal rotations. The speaker prefers the definition of angular momentum based on its commutation relations, as it allows for a connection to classical mechanics. However, it is noted that the Lie Group must be given first in order to obtain the generators and subsequently the commutation
NewGuy
I'm having a course in advanced quantum mechanics, and we're using the book by Sakurai. In his definition of angular momentum he argues from what the classical generator of angular momentum is, and such he defines the generator for infitesimal rotations as

[tex]D(\widehat{n},d\phi)=1-i\left(\bold{J}\cdot\widehat{n}/\hbar\right)d\phi[/tex]

Where J is the angular momentum operator and [tex]\widehat{n}[/tex] is the rotation axis.
In this way he shows that the angular momentum operator J satisfies the canonical commutation relations

[tex][J_i,J_j]=i\hbar \epsilon_{i,j,k}J_k[/tex]

My question is this:
Is it possible to define the commutation relations as above, and then derive the expression of the generator of infintesimal relations to be the above expression? That is: Is defining angular momentum by it's commutation relations fully equivalent to defining it as a generator of infinitesimal rotations?

I like the definition of angular momentum by it's commutation relations, since you can make a reasonable connection to classical machanics by the rule that the poisson bracket of classical quantities gets replaced by [tex]i\hbar[/tex] times the quantum mechanical commutator of the corresponding operators. For example [tex][x_i,p_j]_{poisson}=\delta_i^j\rightarrow i\hbar[x_i,p_j]_{commutator}=\delta_i^j[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you must FIRST give the Lie Group, once we have the LIe group can obtain its generators, and from the generators you can get the commutation relation.

I would say that both definitions are valid and can be used to define angular momentum in quantum mechanics. However, the definition using the commutation relations is more fundamental and has a deeper mathematical basis.

The canonical commutation relations are a fundamental part of quantum mechanics, and they describe the relationship between observables in a quantum system. In this case, the angular momentum operator J is an observable, and the commutation relations [J_i,J_j]=i\hbar \epsilon_{i,j,k}J_k define its behavior under rotations.

On the other hand, the concept of a generator of rotations is a classical one, and it is used to describe how a physical system changes under rotations. In quantum mechanics, this concept is extended to operators that generate infinitesimal rotations, and the expression for the generator of infitesimal rotations that you have provided is derived from the commutation relations.

Therefore, it is possible to define the commutation relations and then derive the expression for the generator of infintesimal rotations, as Sakurai has done. This shows the equivalence between the two definitions, and it also highlights the connection between classical and quantum mechanics.

In conclusion, both definitions of angular momentum are valid and can be used in quantum mechanics. However, the definition using the commutation relations is more fundamental and provides a deeper understanding of the behavior of angular momentum in quantum systems.

Related to Recovering the generator of rotation from canonical commutation relations

1. What are canonical commutation relations?

Canonical commutation relations are mathematical expressions that describe the fundamental relationship between two physical quantities in quantum mechanics. They are used to determine the behavior of operators and observables in a quantum mechanical system.

2. Why is it important to recover the generator of rotation from canonical commutation relations?

The generator of rotation is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics that describes the rotational symmetry of a system. Recovering this generator from the canonical commutation relations allows us to understand the rotational behavior of a system and make predictions about its properties.

3. How is the generator of rotation recovered from canonical commutation relations?

The generator of rotation can be recovered by using the Heisenberg equations of motion, which relate the time evolution of operators to their commutators. By solving these equations for the angular momentum operators, we can obtain the generator of rotation.

4. What are some applications of recovering the generator of rotation from canonical commutation relations?

Recovering the generator of rotation has many practical applications in quantum mechanics, including in the study of atomic and molecular structures, as well as in the development of quantum computing algorithms. It also helps in understanding the behavior of particles in magnetic fields and in the study of symmetries in physical systems.

5. Are there any challenges in recovering the generator of rotation from canonical commutation relations?

Yes, there can be challenges in recovering the generator of rotation, especially in complex systems with multiple particles and interactions. It requires a deep understanding of mathematical concepts and techniques in quantum mechanics, and may require advanced mathematical tools such as Lie algebras and group theory.