The Connection Between Slope and Derivatives: Understanding the Relationship

In summary: But when we talk about the "slope" of the function at a given point, we're talking about the slope of the tangent line.
Swetasuria
If there is an equation for a curve, its derivative will be the slope of the tangent.
Also, the derivative of a function is the limit of its slope.

What I understand from this is that (slope of tangent)=(limit of the same slope)

But this is wrong (right?). Please explain the mistake here.

Physics news on Phys.org
The derivative is the limit of the difference quotient. You can call this limit the slope. I have no idea what you mean by 'limit of the slope'.

Dick said:
The derivative is the limit of the difference quotient. You can call this limit the slope. I have no idea what you mean by 'limit of the slope'.

Even so, I still can't understand the mistake I made.

You're not taking the limit of the slope of tangent lines. You're taking the limit of the slope of secant lines. The secant line between points A and B has a slope that, in the limit that A and B come together, is the tangent line slope.

Swetasuria said:
Even so, I still can't understand the mistake I made.

What mistake? The limit of the derivative is not necessarily the derivative of the limit, which is the best way I can think of to make sense of your question. Take x^2*sin(1/x^2). It has a derivative at x=0. The limit of the derivative as x->0 doesn't exist.

Your mistake is talking about the "slope" of a function at all. "Slope" is only defined for lines. If a function is linear, then its graph is a straight line and so its graph (not the function) has a slope. If a function is not linear, then its graph is NOT a straight line and neither the graph nor the function has a "slope". We can, at each point, draw a line tangent to the graph and talk about its slope.

Related to The Connection Between Slope and Derivatives: Understanding the Relationship

1. What is slope and how is it related to derivatives?

Slope is a measure of the steepness or incline of a line. It is defined as the change in y-value over the change in x-value. Derivatives, on the other hand, are a mathematical concept that represents the instantaneous rate of change of a function at a specific point. The slope of a tangent line to a function at a particular point is equal to the derivative of that function at that point.

2. How are slope and derivatives calculated?

The slope of a line can be calculated by dividing the change in y-value by the change in x-value between two points on the line. Derivatives, on the other hand, can be calculated using various methods, such as the power rule, product rule, and chain rule, depending on the type of function.

3. What is the significance of the relationship between slope and derivatives?

The relationship between slope and derivatives is significant because it allows us to understand the behavior of a function at a specific point. The derivative tells us the rate of change of the function at that point, which can be used to determine the direction and steepness of the function. This information is essential in many real-world applications, such as physics, economics, and engineering.

4. How does the concept of slope and derivatives relate to real-world scenarios?

The concept of slope and derivatives is widely used in real-world scenarios, such as determining the velocity of an object, calculating the marginal cost and revenue in economics, and finding the optimal solution in optimization problems. In these scenarios, the derivative represents the rate of change of a particular quantity, and the slope represents the rate of change of a particular function.

5. How can understanding the relationship between slope and derivatives improve mathematical problem-solving skills?

Understanding the relationship between slope and derivatives can improve mathematical problem-solving skills by providing a deeper understanding of how functions behave. This understanding allows for the application of derivatives in solving various problems, such as finding maximum and minimum values, determining inflection points, and optimizing functions. It also enables one to interpret and analyze real-world scenarios more accurately and efficiently.