The complex exponential function

In summary, the conversation discusses solving the equation e^z=-3 and the challenges that arise when setting z to a+bi. It is mentioned that taking the log of a negative number is not allowed and that cos(\pi) + isin(\pi) = -1. It is also noted that 3e^{(\pi*i)} is a solution but not for z. The conversation ends with discussing how to continue solving the equation.
James889
Hi,

I need to solve the equation
[tex]e^z = -3[/tex]

The problems arises when i set z to a+bi
[tex]e^a(cos(b) + isin(b),~b = 0[/tex]

Then I am left with [tex]e^a = -3[/tex]

However you're not allowed to take the log of a negative number.

Also i know that [tex]cos(\pi) + isin(\pi) = -1[/tex]

Obviously [tex]3e^{(\pi*i)}[/tex] is a solution, but it's not a solution for z.

Any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
No, if you set it in that form, [itex]e^z= e^{a+ bi}= e^ae^{bi}= e^a(cos(\theta)+ i sin(\theta))= -3[/itex] but now [itex]e^a[/itex] must be positive. We must have [itex]e^acos(\theta)= -3[/itex] and [itex]e^a sin(\theta)= 0[/itex]. Since [itex]e^a[/itex] is never 0, we must have [itex]sin(\theta)= 0[/itex] so that [itex]\theta= 0[/itex] or [itex]\pi[/itex]. If [itex]\theta= 0[/itex], [itex]cos(\theta)= 1[/itex] so [itex]e^a= -3[/itex] which, as I said, is impossible. Therefore, [itex]\theta= \pi[/itex]. Now continue.

Related to The complex exponential function

What is the complex exponential function?

The complex exponential function is a mathematical function of the form $f(z) = e^z$, where $z$ is a complex number. It is an extension of the real exponential function, which is defined as $f(x) = e^x$, where $x$ is a real number.

What are the properties of the complex exponential function?

The complex exponential function has several important properties, including:

• It is an entire function, meaning that it is defined and analytic on the entire complex plane
  • It is periodic with a period of $2\pi i$
  • It is one-to-one, meaning that each complex number has a unique image under the function
  • It is holomorphic, meaning that it is differentiable at every point in its domain

What is the relationship between the complex exponential function and trigonometric functions?

The complex exponential function and trigonometric functions are closely related. In fact, the complex exponential function can be used to define all of the trigonometric functions. Specifically, the real part of the complex exponential function corresponds to the cosine function, while the imaginary part corresponds to the sine function.

How is the complex exponential function used in mathematics?

The complex exponential function has many important applications in mathematics. Some examples include:

• It is used in solving differential equations, particularly those involving exponential growth or decay
  • It is used in Fourier analysis, where it helps decompose a function into its frequency components
  • It is used in complex analysis, where it helps to understand the behavior of complex functions

What are some common misconceptions about the complex exponential function?

One common misconception is that the complex exponential function is only useful for solving problems in complex analysis. In reality, it has many applications in other areas of mathematics and science. Another misconception is that the complex exponential function always produces complex numbers. In fact, for real values of the input, the complex exponential function reduces to the familiar real exponential function.