The burden and/or significance of social lives in the path of physics

In summary, the individual is seeking advice on balancing their social life and academic pursuits. They mention their past experience of playing computer games with peers during breaks and the potential impact it may have on their future studies. They also express their desire to make friends in their new program, but question the importance of having friends who do not contribute to their academic development. Other commenters suggest finding friends with similar interests and passions, while also acknowledging the social aspect of studying science.
bogarts21
Hello, everyone. Please excuse my English since its not my native language.

I'm a college freshman about to major in Physics (shifting from M. E.) and while in M. E. I've had this problem of playing computer games in between classes with my peers. Many times I would think of refusing but since I had started to enjoy the game(DotA) I'd go anyway.

So here's my question, in a few weeks I will be with another set of peers in B.Sc. Physics and I want to make a good start, do you think it is still good to make some friends, even if they would contribute little to none in my academic development?

Another thing, I also would want to hear your opinions/knowledge based on experience about what significance/burden a social life brings in an academic life. Thanks in advance. :)Cheers,
bogarts21

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello, everyone. Please excuse my English since its not my native language.

no problem, as long as you make an effort to be clear with what you are saying
I'm a college freshman about to major in Physics (shifting from M. E.) and while in M. E. I've had this problem of playing computer games in between classes with my peers. Many times I would think of refusing but since I had started to enjoy the game(DotA) I'd go anyway.

How is it a problem, exactly? How much time are you spending playing this game? Is it negatively impacting your studies or health?

So here's my question, in a few weeks I will be with another set of peers in B.Sc. Physics and I want to make a good start, do you think it is still good to make some friends, even if they would contribute little to none in my academic development?

Why don't you make friends that *do* contribute to your academic development? People who want to discuss the same things that you're studying?

Another thing, I also would want to hear your opinions/knowledge based on experience about what significance/burden a social life brings in an academic life. Thanks in advance. :)

Unless you're a misanthropic jerk like Newton, you need friends, or you're going to burn out much more easily.

Make friends that are really interested in physics research and the cutting edge, talking to guys like this will boost your morale and keep you focused. In fact, just make friends with people who are clearly good at what they do and love it as well, that goes for liberal arts majors as well. A brilliant composer/musician friend is much better company, for example, than some bio student who just wants to get into med school. Passionate people like other passionate people, but consider your interests as well because then it might get dull to always be lectured on something stupid (like politics or law, ick).

hadsed said:
Make friends that are really interested in physics research and the cutting edge, talking to guys like this will boost your morale and keep you focused. In fact, just make friends with people who are clearly good at what they do and love it as well, that goes for liberal arts majors as well. A brilliant composer/musician friend is much better company, for example, than some bio student who just wants to get into med school. Passionate people like other passionate people, but consider your interests as well because then it might get dull to always be lectured on something stupid (like politics or law, ick).
On one hand that's good advice, but on the other it seems kind of ridiculous. Making friends is about clicking with people, not dissecting your interests and looking for people who fit into your agenda. Although I guess in this case there could be great overlap, the approach of deciding up front who to friend just doesn't seem right to me. Especially since you said you hated politics, when that's exactly what this is :wink:

Well, the thing is that I want to be a competitive physicist and professor in the best university in my country. So I think that with the distractions I would not be able to devote the large part of my time to studying.

It's very hard to find someone with the same interests as mine. I know one person though, he's a philosophy major but he only talks to me through the internet.

G037H3 said:
How is it a problem, exactly? How much time are you spending playing this game? Is it negatively impacting your studies or health?

Yes, we sometimes come late on class. I know it's my fault. But it really is hard to refuse once you get hooked in the competition. We usually spend about 6 hrs a week.

Ryker said:
On one hand that's good advice, but on the other it seems kind of ridiculous. Making friends is about clicking with people, not dissecting your interests and looking for people who fit into your agenda. Although I guess in this case there could be great overlap, the approach of deciding up front who to friend just doesn't seem right to me. Especially since you said you hated politics, when that's exactly what this is :wink:

I guess. I mean it helps to try and dissect to a certain extent so you have a general idea of who might make good friends. Also, I only hate some kinds of politics. Actually politics is okay, something like African art history is probably much more boring. Everyone's got their interests I guess.

Ryker said:
On one hand that's good advice, but on the other it seems kind of ridiculous. Making friends is about clicking with people, not dissecting your interests and looking for people who fit into your agenda.

On the other hand, I've found that it's easier to make friends with people that share certain interests. If put me in a room full of physics geeks, we have more to talk about than putting me in a room full of people that are interested in football or opera.

Science is an extremely social activity, and one of the main goals of grad school is to get you linked into the society of scientists.

Although I guess in this case there could be great overlap, the approach of deciding up front who to friend just doesn't seem right to me. Especially since you said you hated politics, when that's exactly what this is :wink:

There's good politics and bad politics. Science is impossible without good politics.

bogarts21 said:

Absolutely. Learning how to interact with people is part of your academic development. Also I've usually found it useful to be in different social groups since you learn new things that are useful for physics. For example, if you get with gamers, you'll find out a lot about GPU hardware which comes in extremely handy later.

Another thing, I also would want to hear your opinions/knowledge based on experience about what significance/burden a social life brings in an academic life. Thanks in advance. :)

Academia is an extremely social process.

Related to The burden and/or significance of social lives in the path of physics

1. What is the burden of social lives in the path of physics?

The burden of social lives in the path of physics refers to the challenges and limitations that arise when trying to fully understand and explain physical phenomena within the context of human society. This includes considering the impact of cultural, economic, and political factors on scientific research and the dissemination of scientific knowledge.

2. How does social life affect the pursuit of physics?

Social life can affect the pursuit of physics in various ways. It can influence the availability of resources and funding for research, shape the societal priorities and values that determine which scientific questions are considered important, and impact the diversity and inclusivity of the scientific community. Additionally, the pressure to conform to societal norms and expectations can hinder the pursuit of unconventional or controversial ideas in physics.

3. What is the significance of social lives in physics?

The significance of social lives in physics lies in the fact that science is ultimately a human endeavor, and cannot be fully divorced from the social context in which it exists. The study of physics not only helps us understand the natural world, but also sheds light on the social structures and dynamics that shape our lives. Recognizing and addressing the impact of social factors in physics is crucial for promoting scientific progress and ensuring the ethical use of scientific discoveries.

4. How can we address the burden of social lives in the pursuit of physics?

One way to address the burden of social lives in the pursuit of physics is to foster a more diverse and inclusive scientific community. This can be achieved through initiatives that promote equal access to education and opportunities for underrepresented groups, as well as efforts to combat bias and discrimination within the scientific community. Additionally, promoting open and transparent communication between scientists and the public can help bridge the gap between science and society.

5. How can we balance the demands of social lives with the pursuit of physics?

Finding a balance between social lives and the pursuit of physics is an ongoing challenge for scientists. One approach is to prioritize self-care and establish boundaries in order to maintain a healthy work-life balance. It is also important for scientists to advocate for policies and funding that support their research, while also considering the potential societal impacts of their work. Collaboration and interdisciplinary approaches can also help bridge the gap between social and scientific concerns. Ultimately, finding a balance between social lives and physics will require ongoing reflection and adaptation within the scientific community.