The Bromination of Phenyl Ethane

• Chemistry
  • Thread starter Physics lover
  • Start date
In summary, the reaction discussed involves bromination using ultraviolet light to form a stable free radical on the phenyl carbon, resulting in the formation of 1 bromo 1 phenyl ethane. In the second step, CN- replaces the bromine, leading to the expected product of 1 cyano 1 phenyl ethane. However, the given answer in the question seems to be incorrect, possibly due to a misprint.
Physics lover
Homework Statement
Find the product of the following reaction
Question pic in My attempt section
Relevant Equations
None
IMG-20200412-WA0036.jpeg

So what I did was-:
The first step is bromination using ultraviolet light which proceeds via formation of free radical.Here free radical on phenyl ring attached carbon will be more stable due to resonance and 1 bromo 1 phenyl ethane will be formed.
In the second step,Bromine will leave as it's a good leaving group and CN- will come in place of bromine.So,according to me the final product would be 1 cyano 1 phenyl ethane.But the answer was given as d).Help.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think there is misprint in answer key.In place of one CN CH3 shoukd be there.Am i right?

Physics lover said:
Homework Statement:: Find the product of the following reaction
Question pic in My attempt section
Relevant Equations:: None

View attachment 260538

So what I did was-:
The first step is bromination using ultraviolet light which proceeds via formation of free radical.1) Here free radical on phenyl ring attached carbon will be more stable due to resonance and 2) 1 bromo 1 phenyl ethane will be formed.
In the second step,Bromine will leave as it's a good leaving group and CN- will come in place of bromine.So,according to me the final product would be 1 cyano 1 phenyl ethane.But the 3) answer was given as d).Help.
1). the phenyl carbon or the carbon alpha to the aromatic ring produces the most stable radical intermediate.
2) correct.
3) you were correct and 4) (not “d”) is the wrong structure. None of the printed answers are correct unless you assume that 4) is a misprint.

Likes Physics lover and jim mcnamara

Related to The Bromination of Phenyl Ethane

1. What is the purpose of brominating phenyl ethane?

The purpose of brominating phenyl ethane is to introduce a bromine atom into the molecule, which can change its chemical and physical properties. This reaction can also be used to synthesize other compounds that contain a bromine atom.

2. What reagents are needed for the bromination of phenyl ethane?

The reagents needed for the bromination of phenyl ethane are bromine (Br2) and a Lewis acid catalyst, such as iron (III) bromide (FeBr3) or aluminum bromide (AlBr3). A solvent, such as dichloromethane or chloroform, is also typically used.

3. What is the mechanism of the bromination of phenyl ethane?

The mechanism of the bromination of phenyl ethane involves a radical substitution reaction. The bromine atom is first activated by the Lewis acid catalyst, forming a bromine radical. This radical then attacks the phenyl ethane molecule, forming a new carbon-bromine bond and producing a phenyl ethyl radical. The phenyl ethyl radical then reacts with another bromine molecule, forming the final product and regenerating the bromine radical.

4. What are some safety precautions to take when performing the bromination of phenyl ethane?

Some safety precautions to take when performing the bromination of phenyl ethane include wearing appropriate personal protective equipment, such as gloves and goggles, and working in a well-ventilated area. It is also important to handle bromine and the Lewis acid catalysts with caution, as they can be corrosive and toxic.

5. What are some potential applications of the bromination of phenyl ethane?

The bromination of phenyl ethane has various potential applications in organic synthesis. It can be used to introduce a bromine atom into a molecule, which can then be further modified to create new compounds. It can also be used to synthesize specific brominated compounds, such as pharmaceuticals or agrochemicals.