Nucleophilic substitution question

• Thread starter WardenOfTheMint
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Substitution
In summary, the question is asking which of the given compounds will undergo unimolecular substitution reaction the fastest and slowest. The solvent for this reaction is a combination of Ethanol and Silver Nitrate, indicating that it will proceed as an SN1 reaction. The stability of the leaving group is important in this reaction, with larger and more stable groups being preferred. The fastest reaction is predicted to be 2 bromo hexane due to the stability of its carbocation, while the others are less certain. Resonance can also play a role in the stability of carbocations. In SN1 reactions, the leaving group usually benefits less from being a substituent, and therefore prefers to take the electrons from the bond and become independent.
WardenOfTheMint

Homework Statement

I have these compounds, and I have to predict which one will undergo unimolecular substitution reaction the fastest. And which one will undergo it the slowest.

3 bromo cyclohexene
1 bromo cyclohexene
4 bromo cyclohexene
2 bromo hexane (not cyclohexane/ene)
The solvent is a combination of Ethanol and Silver Nitrate.

So I'm definitely sure this reaction will proceed SN1. I am also unsure of this: what causes the leaving group to leave in a SN1 reaction? . I know a good leaving group is stable because it's large. And in SN2 a leaving group 'leaves' because you have a backside attack by a nucleophile.

Homework Equations

None.

3. The Attempt at a Solution

Fastest: I'm guessing 2 bromo hexane will react the fastest, because when you get it's carbocation, the carbon bearing that cation is 2* substituted.

The rest: I'm not sure about the others. You get a cycloalkene carbocation in each one. But they all have six carbons. They all seem to be 2* substitued.

Physics news on Phys.org
Don't forget resonance, which can confer additional stability to carbocations. This effect is often stronger than that of substitution.

It is an Sn1 reaction, and one that is frequently used in labs. Leaving groups are usually substituents on a molecule that benefit less from being a substituent than just taking the electrons from the bond and becoming independent. For example, -OH is a bad leaving group because if it detaches from the molecule, it takes the electrons from the bond to create a hydroxide ion, which is very unstable (quick to react with something), so it would rather stay put. -OH2+, on the other hand, is a good leaving group because it will become H20, which is much more stable.

Related to Nucleophilic substitution question

1. What is nucleophilic substitution?

Nucleophilic substitution is a chemical reaction in which an atom or group of atoms (the nucleophile) replaces another atom or group of atoms (the leaving group) in a molecule. It is a common type of reaction in organic chemistry.

2. What are the types of nucleophilic substitution reactions?

The two main types of nucleophilic substitution reactions are SN1 (unimolecular) and SN2 (bimolecular). In SN1 reactions, the leaving group leaves first, creating a carbocation intermediate, which is then attacked by the nucleophile. In SN2 reactions, the nucleophile attacks the substrate at the same time as the leaving group leaves, resulting in a one-step process.

3. What factors influence the rate of nucleophilic substitution reactions?

The rate of nucleophilic substitution reactions is influenced by several factors, including the strength of the nucleophile, the strength of the leaving group, the steric hindrance around the reaction site, and the polarity of the solvent. These factors can affect the stability of the intermediate and the ease of attack by the nucleophile.

4. What is the difference between primary, secondary, and tertiary substrates in nucleophilic substitution reactions?

Primary substrates have one carbon atom bonded to the carbon atom undergoing substitution, secondary substrates have two carbon atoms, and tertiary substrates have three carbon atoms. The type of substrate can affect the rate and mechanism of the nucleophilic substitution reaction, with tertiary substrates often undergoing SN1 reactions and primary substrates often undergoing SN2 reactions.

5. How can I predict the products of a nucleophilic substitution reaction?

The products of a nucleophilic substitution reaction can be predicted by considering the strength of the nucleophile, the strength of the leaving group, and the steric hindrance around the reaction site. Other factors such as the solvent and the temperature may also play a role. It is important to also consider the mechanism (SN1 or SN2) and the type of substrate when predicting the products of a nucleophilic substitution reaction.