The break down of a negative binomial equation

In summary, the conversation discusses a question about a negative exponent in the book "Calculus Made Easy" and the process of simplifying it. The author is struggling to understand how the expression (x + dx)^-2 can be simplified to x^-2(1 + dx/x)^-2. With the help of another person, they come to the realization that the expression can be written as (x/x)(x+dx)^-2 and then simplified further by dividing the argument by x. The conversation ends with the author expressing gratitude for the assistance and being able to carry out the division themselves.
mcanski
Firstly, I want to note I'm a post college student who is attempting to teach himself calculus. I'm reading Calculus Made Easy by Silvanus P. Thompson and Martin Gardner, St. Martin's Press, 1998 ed.

My question comes from page 56 Case of a Negative Exponent

y + dy= (x + dx)^-2

= x^-2(1 + dx/x)^-2

I don't understand how the author got from (x + dx)^-2 to the answer x^-2(1 + dx/x)^-2

If someone could either breakdown the process, show me where to go and see examples of how this process is done, or point me in the direction to what emphasis of math I should read to better learn the process I will be grateful. Any help will be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Try to take it from here:

[tex]
(x+dx)^{-2}=\left(\frac{x}{x}(x+dx)\right)^{-2}
[/tex]

Realize that x/x is just 1 for x!=0 so you can put it in there without changing the expression.

Cyosis, thanks for the next step. I however, am still quite frustrated with this. IMHO, leaving out obscure simplification steps for the reader to deduce on their own begins to miss the mark of making anything "simple". That said, I'm just not seeing the next step here. Is the x/x then getting multiplied into the binomial? I've tried that, but haven't made any headway. Would you help me to carry on from here?

Many thanks!

All that is being done is dividing the argument by x. This however changes the expression so you have to multiply by x so that the equality holds.

[tex]
(x+dx)^{-2}=\left(\frac{x}{x}(x+dx)\right)^{-2}=\left(x \frac{x+dx}{x}\right)^{-2}
[/tex]

You should be able to carry out the division yourself.

That helped tremendously--thank you!

Related to The break down of a negative binomial equation

What is a negative binomial equation?

A negative binomial equation is a mathematical model used to describe the probability distribution of a discrete random variable. It is used to calculate the probability of a certain number of successes in a fixed number of independent trials.

What are the components of a negative binomial equation?

The negative binomial equation consists of two main components: the number of successes (r) and the probability of success (p). The equation also involves a factorial function, which represents the number of ways to arrange a certain number of objects.

How is a negative binomial equation different from a binomial equation?

A binomial equation is used to calculate the probability of a specific number of successes in a fixed number of trials. However, a negative binomial equation allows for multiple successes to occur within the same number of trials. In other words, a binomial equation would be used for a situation where there is only one desired outcome, while a negative binomial equation would be used for a situation where there can be multiple desired outcomes.

What is the relationship between the mean and variance in a negative binomial equation?

The mean of a negative binomial equation is equal to r/p, which represents the expected number of successes. The variance of a negative binomial equation is equal to r(1-p)/p^2, which represents the measure of dispersion or spread around the mean. In other words, the higher the value of r, the higher the mean and variance will be, indicating a larger spread of the data.

What are some real-life applications of a negative binomial equation?

A negative binomial equation can be used to model various real-life scenarios, such as predicting the number of defective products in a manufacturing process, the number of customers arriving at a store within a certain time frame, or the number of calls received by a call center in a day. It can also be used in sports analytics to predict the number of goals or points scored by a team in a game.