Implicit differentiaion using the number e (lon-capa)

• Thread starter Nana-chan
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Implicit
In summary, the problem involves finding dy/dx if the curve is defined by 10x^2e^(7y) + 8y^4e^(5x) = 19. The solution requires using the product rule and implicit differentiation. After rearranging the equation and isolating dy/dx, the correct answer is found by dividing both sides by (32y^3*e^(5x)). The mistake in the original attempt was missing a dy/dx term.
Nana-chan
Implicit differentiaion using the number "e" (lon-capa)

Hello~ :3 this is my first time posting here, so I hope I didn't do anything wrong. I'm currently in Calculus 1, university level, and I have to enter all my answers using lon-capa (evil evil program). In lon-capa:

*= multiplication sign
exp= number e (exponents are instead put in parenthesis, as in my answer below)

Homework Statement

Find dy/dx if the curve is defined by

10 x^2 e^(7 y) + 8 y^4 e^(5 x) = 19.

The Attempt at a Solution

This is my lon-capa attempt:
(10*x^2*7*exp(7*y)+20*x*exp(7*y)+8*y^4*5*exp(5*x))/(-32*y^3*exp(5*x))

This is a more reasonable-looking version:
(10x^2*7e(7y)+20x*e(7y)+8y^4*5e(5x))/(-32y^3*e(5x))

I used both the product rule and implicit differentiation, but lon-capa keeps telling me my answer is wrong. I'm not sure if it's a mistake with the parenthesis or the answer itself, but I'd be grateful for any help/advice.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Nana-chan said:
Hello~ :3 this is my first time posting here, so I hope I didn't do anything wrong. I'm currently in Calculus 1, university level, and I have to enter all my answers using lon-capa (evil evil program). In lon-capa:

*= multiplication sign
exp= number e (exponents are instead put in parenthesis, as in my answer below)

Homework Statement

Find dx/dy if the curve is defined by

10 x^2 e^(7 y) + 8 y^4 e^(5 x) = 19.

The Attempt at a Solution

This is my lon-capa attempt:
(10*x^2*7*exp(7*y)+20*x*exp(7*y)+8*y^4*5*exp(5*x))/(-32*y^3*exp(5*x))

This is a more reasonable-looking version:
(10x^2*7e(7y)+20x*e(7y)+8y^4*5e(5x))/(-32y^3*e(5x))

I used both the product rule and implicit differentiation, but lon-capa keeps telling me my answer is wrong. I'm not sure if it's a mistake with the parenthesis or the answer itself, but I'd be grateful for any help/advice.
Hello Nana-chan. Welcome to PF !

Show how you did the problem, not just your final result.

What do you get when implicitly differentiated the following?
10 x2 e7y + 8 y4 e5x = 19​

Did you take the derivative with respect to x or with respect to y?

Did they really ask for dx/dy ?

Thanks, here's what I did:

10 x2 e7y + 8 y4 e5x = 19

I did the product rule on both sides:

10x^2*e(7y)*7 + 20x*e(7y) + 8y^4*e(5x)*5 + 32y^3*dy/dx*e(5x)= 0

Then I moved the value that contained dy/dx to the other side:

10x^2*e(7y)*7 + 20x*e(7y) + 8y^4*e(5x)*5 = 32y^3*dy/dx*e(5x) = (32y^3*e(5x))(dy/dx)

Then I divided both sides by (32y^3*e(5x)) in order to get dy/dx and got the answer that you saw above.

And no, I'm sorry, they didn't ask for dx/dy, they asked for dy/dx, I made a typo in my original post, which I will now proceed to edit.

Nana-chan said:
Thanks, here's what I did:

10 x2 e7y + 8 y4 e5x = 19

I did the product rule on both sides:

10x^2*e(7y)*7*dy/dx + 20x*e(7y) + 8y^4*e(5x)*5 + 32y^3*dy/dx*e(5x)= 0

Then I moved the value that contained dy/dx to the other side:

10x^2*e(7y)*7 + 20x*e(7y) + 8y^4*e(5x)*5 = 32y^3*dy/dx*e(5x) = (32y^3*e(5x))(dy/dx)

Then I divided both sides by (32y^3*e(5x)) in order to get dy/dx and got the answer that you saw above.

And no, I'm sorry, they didn't ask for dx/dy, they asked for dy/dx, I made a typo in my original post, which I will now proceed to edit.
(To write superscripts or subscripts, use the "Go Advanced" option for the message window. Then use the X2 or X2 ikon above the message box.)

You are missing a dydx . See it in red above .

Ohhh~ you see I wasn't sure if the derivative of 7y would be 7 alone or what you stated above. I entered it in on lon-capa and my answer is now correct! Thank you very much!

Related to Implicit differentiaion using the number e (lon-capa)

1. What is the definition of e in implicit differentiation?

In implicit differentiation, e (also known as Euler's number) represents the base of the natural logarithm and is approximately equal to 2.71828. It is a mathematical constant that appears in many areas of mathematics, including calculus and differential equations.

2. How is e used in implicit differentiation?

Euler's number is used in implicit differentiation to differentiate exponential functions, particularly those involving the natural logarithm. It allows for the simplification of complex equations and the calculation of derivatives.

3. What is the process of implicit differentiation using e?

The process of implicit differentiation using e involves taking the derivative of both sides of an equation with respect to the independent variable, using the chain rule when necessary. The e term is then treated as a constant and can be factored out of the derivative.

4. Why is e important in implicit differentiation?

Euler's number is important in implicit differentiation because it allows for the differentiation of exponential and logarithmic functions, which are commonly found in many mathematical models and real-world applications. It also simplifies the differentiation process and makes it more efficient.

5. Are there any limitations to using e in implicit differentiation?

While e is a useful constant in implicit differentiation, it does have some limitations. It may not be applicable to all types of equations, and other methods may need to be used. Additionally, improper use or placement of e in the equation can lead to errors in the differentiation process.