The Book *The Mathematics of Relativity for the Rest of Us*

In summary, the speaker is looking for resources to understand the math behind physics, as they have forgotten much of their high school math. They came across a book called "The Mathematics of Relativity for the Rest of Us" but found that it may contain erroneous information. They are wondering if anyone has read the book and if it is full of errors. They also mention their struggle with staying motivated to learn math and their preference for learning in an applied manner.
aCogCorroded
Hi. I am someone who would like to begin to understand the mathematics behind physics. I have forgotten much of the math that I was taught in high-school, not that I paid much attention at the time, unfortunately. I ran across the book The Mathematics of Relativity for the Rest of Us which looks great, but scrolling down, I found that apparently the second paragraph on page 5 contains erroneous information. I was wondering if anyone here has read the book, and whether or not this is just a mistake or is the text full of errors? Also, what you may have thought of the text for someone that is basically a sixth-grader when it comes to math, and I am afraid I am not exaggerating by too much.

I would prefer to learn the math in an applied manner, as solving a bunch of equations with no visible real world applications is one of the reasons I didn't pay much attention in high school. Not that the payoff isn't worth it; I'm just afraid I will not be able to stay motivated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry I posted this in the wrong area. Guess I missed the book forum.

Last edited:

I would highly recommend reading this book as it seems to be a great resource for those looking to understand the mathematics behind physics. However, I would also suggest double-checking any information that seems to be incorrect, as is the case with the second paragraph on page 5. It is important to always fact-check and verify information, especially when it comes to complex subjects like mathematics and physics.

Regarding the difficulty level for someone who is not well-versed in math, it may be a challenging read but it is certainly not impossible. The key is to take your time and really try to understand the concepts being presented. It may also be helpful to supplement your reading with other resources or to seek out a tutor who can help guide you through the material.

Furthermore, I completely understand the sentiment of wanting to learn math in an applied manner. It can be difficult to stay motivated when the material seems disconnected from real-world applications. However, I assure you that the math and equations used in physics have very real and important applications in understanding the world around us. It may take some time and effort, but the payoff is definitely worth it. I wish you the best of luck on your journey to understanding the mathematics of relativity.

Related to The Book *The Mathematics of Relativity for the Rest of Us*

1. What is the main focus of "The Mathematics of Relativity for the Rest of Us"?

The book focuses on explaining the mathematical concepts and principles behind Einstein's theory of relativity in a way that is accessible to non-experts.

2. Do I need to have a strong background in math to understand this book?

No, the book is written for a general audience and does not assume any prior knowledge of advanced mathematics. However, a basic understanding of algebra and geometry would be helpful.

3. How does this book differ from other books on relativity?

This book is unique in its approach, as it aims to explain the mathematical aspects of relativity in a simple and intuitive way, rather than focusing on complex equations and formulas.

4. Will this book help me understand the theory of relativity better?

Yes, the book provides a comprehensive and easy-to-follow explanation of the mathematical principles behind relativity, which will enhance your understanding of the theory.

5. Can this book be used as a textbook for a college-level course on relativity?

While the book is not specifically designed as a textbook, it can serve as a supplementary resource for students who are studying relativity in college. It presents the material in a clear and approachable manner, making it a helpful supplement to a traditional textbook.