The best physics books to build theoretical knowledge

In summary, there are several options for expanding high school knowledge in physics and math. For physics, it is recommended to start with Halliday and Resnik's textbooks, followed by Leonard Susskind's "Theoretical Minimum" lectures for a broader understanding. For math, Calculus by Spivak is a good example, along with other books such as Shankar, Haliday Resnick Krane, and Savov. It is important to build a strong foundation before trying to tackle more advanced or graduate level texts.
diredragon
Could you name your best picks of books that expand on the high school knowledge. Example is the Goldsteins Classical Mechanics which is a classic. What do you recommend for Electricity and Magnetism, Optics, Relativity and Quantum Mechanics?
Also what would be the same criteria for some Math books? Calculus by Spivak is an example... ?

Physics news on Phys.org
I wouldn't use Goldstein to expand your knowledge based off of a high school education, it is a graduate level text.

At the level you should be able to read and understand, I'd start off with Halliday and Resnik.

Likes QuantumQuest
diredragon said:
Could you name your best picks of books that expand on the high school knowledge. Example is the Goldsteins Classical Mechanics which is a classic. What do you recommend for Electricity and Magnetism, Optics, Relativity and Quantum Mechanics?
Also what would be the same criteria for some Math books? Calculus by Spivak is an example... ?
What is the level of math that you already know? Algebra? Calculus? Vector Analysis? If you post what you know and what is it that you are trying to do, I am sure many will chime in. Your question is too open ended and broad as 'best picks' depend on the current level of knowledge and the intended purpose.

smodak said:
What is the level of math that you already know? Algebra? Calculus? Vector Analysis? If you post what you know and what is it that you are trying to do, I am sure many will chime in. Your question is too open ended and broad as 'best picks' depend on the current level of knowledge and the intended purpose.
Ok :) so the last physics book i read was the Physics for Scientists and Engineers by Serway and as the book is too broad and deals with every subject i wany now to go deeper than this. Concerning Mathematics I am at Calculus level so good Calculus or Differential equation book...

Dr Transport said:
I wouldn't use Goldstein to expand your knowledge based off of a high school education, it is a graduate level text.

At the level you should be able to read and understand, I'd start off with Halliday and Resnik.
Well, and it's sometimes misleading (note the discussions on vakonomic dynamics in this forum!).

diredragon said:
Ok :) so the last physics book i read was the Physics for Scientists and Engineers by Serway and as the book is too broad and deals with every subject i wany now to go deeper than this. Concerning Mathematics I am at Calculus level so good Calculus or Differential equation book...

I would recommend the following books (not in any specific order for a set)
1. Verma - Concept of Physics vol 1 - http://www.abebooks.com/products/isbn/9788177091878
2. Verma - Concepts of Physics vol 2 - http://www.abebooks.com/products/isbn/9788177092325
3. Shankar Volume 1- https://www.amazon.com/dp/0300192207/?tag=pfamazon01-20
4. Shankar Volume 2 - https://www.amazon.com/dp/0300212364/?tag=pfamazon01-20 (will be released soon)
5. Haliday Resnick Krane Volume 1 - https://www.amazon.com/dp/0471320579/?tag=pfamazon01-20
6. Haliday Resnick Krane Volume 2 - https://www.amazon.com/dp/0471401943/?tag=pfamazon01-20
7. Savov - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0992001005/?tag=pfamazon01-20

The first set by Verma is not very well known but is really good.

Last edited by a moderator:
diredragon said:

I definitely agree to what Dr Transport and vanhees71 said. I think that the best thing to do about textbooks, is to go with Halliday - Resnick in order to build some foundations to work further and solve lots of problems in order to sufficiently understand the topics. I would also recommend Leonard Susskind's "Theoretical Minimum" lectures, in order to check for yourself if you can follow along and see a bigger picture on the topics of theoretical physics. There is much way to go to reach understanding of advanced / graduate texts in theoretical physics and it must be done in the right way using appropriate steps.

Related to The best physics books to build theoretical knowledge

What are some recommended physics books for building theoretical knowledge?

Some recommended physics books for building theoretical knowledge include "The Feynman Lectures on Physics" by Richard P. Feynman, "Quantum Mechanics: The Theoretical Minimum" by Leonard Susskind and Art Friedman, "Introduction to Electrodynamics" by David J. Griffiths, "Classical Mechanics" by John R. Taylor, and "Principles of Quantum Mechanics" by R. Shankar.

What makes these books the best for building theoretical knowledge?

These books are considered the best for building theoretical knowledge because they provide a comprehensive understanding of fundamental concepts and theories in physics, are written by renowned physicists, and have been widely used and recommended by experts in the field.

Are these books suitable for beginners in physics?

While some of these books may be more advanced and require some prior knowledge in physics, they can still be suitable for beginners due to their clear explanations and thorough coverage of topics. However, it is recommended to have a basic understanding of physics before delving into these books.

Are there any other recommended books for building theoretical knowledge in specific areas of physics?

Yes, there are many other recommended books for building theoretical knowledge in specific areas of physics such as "Introduction to Elementary Particles" by David Griffiths for particle physics, "Thermal Physics" by Charles Kittel and Herbert Kroemer for thermodynamics, and "Introduction to Cosmology" by Matt Roos for cosmology.

Can these books be used for self-study or are they better suited for classroom use?

These books can be used for both self-study and classroom use. However, it is important to supplement them with other resources and actively engage with the material to fully understand and apply the concepts. Additionally, having a teacher or mentor to guide and clarify any doubts can be beneficial for better understanding.