The best approach to get your prerequisites(Math, Sciences, English)

In summary, the 20 year old is looking to work on prerequisites for computer science but is concerned about the difficulty of commuting and potential work conflicts. He is interested in integrative solutions such as working with a tutor weekly, though he has a few "fellow students" he can work with. He is interested in self-study but is worried about the expense. He is in favor of testing out of courses but is unsure if this is possible at his university. He is in support of attending classes and recommends practicing for exams. He is concerned about the high cost of books.
Blackwinter
Hi,

I am a 20 year old looking to work on my prerequisites for something like computer science. The problems are that:

1) Commuting is going to be difficult, I don't currently have a car. Otherwise busing is 40 minutes.

2) Work may conflict, but I can quit if necessary.

Are there integrative solutions, such as working online with a tutor on a weekly bases? I am interested in your own solutions and anecdotes here.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your local community college may offer solutions for your situation; I would take the bus ride and meet with a counselor there.

One of our sons had a similar predicament; he learned to do homework on the bus ride!

The other approach is self-study, though a tutor may have to be available from time-to-time. Then when you are confident of the material, you can "test out" of that subject. Check with the local community college to see which courses for which this is possible.

A good online site for math is "Paul's Online Math Notes": http://tutorial.math.lamar.edu/

But the most important element is your motivation and effort! So somebody to talk to, and perhaps work with, can be very useful. Best if it is a fellow student, because then it is free.

Conveniently enough, I do have a few 'fellow students' to work with. I think I will try to talk to an academic adviser soon.

The self-study approach with "testing out" sounds good, I think I can prepare for the fall semester and then do assessments and work from there..

Becareful with the testing out option. Some universities require that classes be taken with a letter grade. To my knowledge UCLA and Berkley want a letter grade. Please correct me if I am wrong. I am also on the bus amd it takes me an hour to get to school. I read my txtbook on the bus. While I am reading say a mathbook i look at the section and try to get an intutive feel. Then when I have time to sit somewhere I solve problems.

Correctipn on my part. You can test out of classes. Ir for example a chemistry, physics, englisj prep class that prepares you for college introduction level class.

You can also do it for math. Say you are in intermediate algebra but you self studied and you can do pre calculus propblems really well. You can test out the remedial math and go into a calculus 1 class.

BUT YOU CANNOT test out of calculus 1 because that is a class the unvieraity is asking for.

Hope i was clear.

Blackwinter said:
Hi,

I am a 20 year old looking to work on my prerequisites for something like computer science. The problems are that:

1) Commuting is going to be difficult, I don't currently have a car. Otherwise busing is 40 minutes.

2) Work may conflict, but I can quit if necessary.

Are there integrative solutions, such as working online with a tutor on a weekly bases? I am interested in your own solutions and anecdotes here.

1. Carpool with classmates if possible.

2. Don't quit right away, ideally, you'll want to work while going to CC, save as much money as feasible so when you go to university you won't go as deep into debt.

I'm wholly against online/testing out of courses/ and what not. I believe there is something tangible to gain by physically attending classes; well, most classes.

Practice for the assesment testing like you planned, then go from there.

And books are very expensive, it'll help to be working. Just look at the prices lately, you can easily pay $100-$200 per subject on books.

I bus 3 hours a day to my community college because it is worth it to me. I am not sure if Financial Aid is a option for you, but this allows me to work much less and go to school so this may be an option for you. I wish you the best and hope you stay in school. Even one class a semester will put you forward if that is the most you can do.

Related to The best approach to get your prerequisites(Math, Sciences, English)

What are the prerequisites for taking math, sciences, and English classes?

The prerequisites for taking math, sciences, and English classes vary by institution and program. Generally, most colleges and universities require students to have completed high school level math, science, and English courses with a passing grade before enrolling in higher level classes. It is important to check with your specific institution to determine their specific requirements.

What is the best approach to completing prerequisites for math, sciences, and English?

The best approach to completing prerequisites for math, sciences, and English is to start early and plan ahead. Make sure to review your high school coursework and brush up on any concepts you may have forgotten. It is also helpful to utilize resources such as online tutorials, study groups, and tutoring services. Prioritize your coursework and stay organized to ensure you are on track to complete all prerequisites in a timely manner.

Can I take prerequisites online?

Yes, many colleges and universities offer online courses for prerequisites in math, sciences, and English. However, it is important to check with your institution to ensure that the online course will fulfill the prerequisite requirement for your desired program. Additionally, make sure you have access to reliable internet and necessary technology to successfully complete the course.

Are there any alternative options for meeting prerequisite requirements?

In some cases, colleges and universities may offer placement exams or credit-by-exam options for students who have prior knowledge and experience in a particular subject. It is important to check with your institution to see if these options are available and if they can fulfill your prerequisite requirements.

What happens if I do not meet the prerequisites for a course?

If you do not meet the prerequisites for a course, you may not be able to enroll in the course. Some institutions may allow you to enroll on a probationary basis or with permission from the instructor. It is important to speak with your academic advisor or the course instructor to determine the best course of action in this situation.