The basis for relevence, ethics, and morality.

In summary, the conversation discusses two topics that can keep one awake at night: defining morality without a belief in God and determining if following God's will means following the highest moral authority. The first topic raises the question of whether morality is relevant without a belief in God and if it is possible to truly help or hurt others. The second topic delves into the idea that the Bible is the human handbook for God's will and whether or not this means all aspects of the Bible can be considered morally superior. The conversation is ultimately restricted on PF due to the posting guidelines prohibiting religious discussions.
6000yr-earth
Two topics to keep you awake at night...

Q1. From what source or basis should one begin to define their morality? is morality a relevant term? Given the presupposition that there is no God is anything relevant and is it possible to truly help or hurt anyone?

Q2.If their is a God how can we know we are doing his will? Should we necessarily try to do his will (that is, can we know for sure that the creators will is necessarily the absolute peak of morality)?

For the first topic I honestly cannot find anyway of deeming anything relevant about our lives without God or some form of individual continuation/eternity. I would like to hear comments on this first part. If anyone is of a secularist mindframe but feels they can justify aspects of our life as being relevent.

As for the second... My S/N says much on what I think of this topic. The Bible is the human handbook for God's will. Knowing that God's will is the highest good is an issue of faith, (however, if it is true that God's will is the highest good and that the Bible is God's will, that must mean that all aspects of the bible can be justified/found to be superior). What is your source of moral authority?

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF. Honestly, judging by your username and your last couple of posts, I doubt PF is going to be a good fit for the kind of discussion you'd like to have.

PF's posting guidelines prohibit this kind of religious discussion.

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=5374

Thread locked.

- Warren

I believe that the basis for relevance, ethics, and morality should be rooted in reason and evidence. These concepts are essential for creating a just and harmonious society, and they are necessary for the progress of humanity.

To address the first topic, I believe that morality is a relevant term regardless of one's belief in a higher power. Morality is the principles and values that guide our actions and decisions, and it is essential for creating a functioning society. Without a moral code, individuals would act solely in their self-interest, leading to chaos and harm to others. Therefore, even without a belief in God, morality is still relevant and necessary for our lives.

However, I do believe that a belief in a higher power can provide a strong foundation for one's moral code. Many religions have moral teachings that promote compassion, empathy, and fairness, which are essential values for a just society. But, as a scientist, I also acknowledge that morality can be based on reason and empathy rather than divine authority. We can use our rationality and empathy to determine what is right and wrong, and this can guide our actions and decisions.

Moving on to the second topic, if there is a God, it is impossible for us to know for sure what his will is. Many religions claim to have the answer to this question, but ultimately, it comes down to an individual's faith and interpretation of religious texts. However, I do not believe that blindly following a religious doctrine is the only way to do God's will. As mentioned earlier, we can use our reason and empathy to determine what is morally right and wrong, and if God is truly just and loving, his will would align with these principles.

Furthermore, I do not think that the creator's will necessarily represents the absolute peak of morality. As humans, our understanding of morality is limited and constantly evolving. It is possible that the creator's will could be flawed or incomplete, and it is up to us to use our rationality and empathy to determine what is truly morally just.

In terms of my source of moral authority, as a scientist, I look towards evidence and reason to guide my moral code. I believe that our actions should be based on what is supported by evidence and what promotes the well-being of ourselves and others. This does not mean that I dismiss religious teachings, but rather I use them as one source among many to inform my moral compass.

In conclusion, I believe that relevance, ethics,

What is the basis for relevance in ethical and moral decision-making?

The basis for relevance in ethical and moral decision-making is often the principles of right and wrong, as well as the values and beliefs of individuals or society as a whole. These can be influenced by factors such as culture, religion, and personal experiences.

How do ethics and morality differ?

Ethics refers to a set of principles or guidelines that govern the conduct of individuals or groups. It is more concerned with the philosophical and theoretical aspects of decision-making. Morality, on the other hand, is the actual behavior or actions that are deemed right or wrong by society or an individual's own conscience.

What role does empathy play in ethical and moral decision-making?

Empathy, or the ability to understand and share the feelings of others, is an important factor in ethical and moral decision-making. It allows individuals to consider the impact of their actions on others and make decisions that are more compassionate and just.

Can ethical and moral principles change over time?

Yes, ethical and moral principles can change over time as societal values and beliefs evolve. What was once considered acceptable or moral may no longer be viewed in the same way. This is why it is important for individuals to constantly reevaluate their own ethical and moral principles.

How do ethical and moral principles apply to scientific research?

Ethical and moral principles play a crucial role in scientific research. Researchers must adhere to codes of conduct and guidelines set by governing bodies to ensure the safety and well-being of participants. They must also consider the potential impact of their research on society and make decisions that are ethically and morally responsible.