The average density of halo of non-baryonic dark matter?

In summary, the problem is asking for the average density of non-baryonic dark matter in the halo surrounding our galaxy, given a mass of ~5x10^12 M☉ and a radius of 0.1 Mpc. To find the density, we can use the formula M = rv^2/G, where M is the mass, r is the radius, v is the velocity, and G is the gravitational constant. However, the problem is not asking for the average density of the entire universe, so we cannot use the percentage of dark matter compared to the critical density. Instead, we need to use the specific numbers for our galaxy's halo to calculate the average density of dark matter in that region.
LavaLynne
I've got a homework question that I'm particularly stuck on:

Suppose that the halo, assumed spherical, of non-baryonic dark matter surrounding our galaxy has mass ~ 5 x10^12 M solar and radius 0.1 Mpc. What it its average density in Kg m-3?

I think that I need to use the formula M= r v^2/ G

G being the gravitational constant.

What I'm really unsure of is how to rework the formula?

I'm assuming that the average density will be the volume?

I've come up with v= M(r)/G and then square the answer

Am I anywhere close?

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
1st: I have no idea how you got from the first eq to the second.
2nd: Homework questions have a special place in the homework forum.
3rd: Average density ##\neq## volume

BiGyElLoWhAt said:
1st: I have no idea how you got from the first eq to the second.
2nd: Homework questions have a special place in the homework forum.
3rd: Average density ##\neq## volume

Sorry I'm very new to this site. I did look in the homework forum but I could not find a cosmology homework thread.
Also I'm a mature student and I haven't done this level of mathematics in years so I'm trying to re-learn as I go. The second equation was my best effort to re-work the first. :(

Ok, so what is density? Let's start there.

LavaLynne said:
I did look in the homework forum but I could not find a cosmology homework thread.

I've moved this thread to Advanced Physics Homework, which is appropriate for cosmology questions.

LavaLynne, please fill out the homework template to help facilitate helper's responses:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]

BiGyElLoWhAt said:

Sorry I'm not sure what the density is as that's what I'm trying to find. I have previously found the average density of non-baryonic dark matter in the Universe by dividing it's percentage into the critical density. Should I be using that?

BiGyElLoWhAt said:

Sorry I'm not sure what the density is
PeterDonis said:
I've moved this thread to Advanced Physics Homework, which is appropriate for cosmology questions.

LavaLynne, please fill out the homework template to help facilitate helper's responses:

Homework Statement

Suppose that the halo, assumed spherical, of non-baryonic dark matter surrounding our galaxy has mass ~ 5 x10^12 M solar and radius 0.1 Mpc. What it its average density in Kg m-3?

Homework Equations

M= r v^2/ G

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
Try (unsuccessfully) to rework the above equation.

Last edited by a moderator:
LavaLynne said:
I'm not sure what the density is

I think he's asking what the definition of density is.

That is, in fact, what I'm asking.

[Mass] density is mass per unit volume.

LavaLynne said:
I have previously found the average density of non-baryonic dark matter in the Universe by dividing it's percentage into the critical density

That would give an average over the entire universe, yes, but the problem is not asking you for that. It's asking you for the average density in a particular region (the halo surrounding our galaxy). Averaging over the entire universe won't help with that; our galaxy is not an "average" region of the universe--it's much denser on average than the universe as a whole, since the universe as a whole includes all the empty space between galaxies.

(If this still isn't clear, consider a simpler example. Suppose someone asked you the average density of the Earth. You wouldn't use the figures for ordinary matter in the entire universe--what percentage that average density is of the critical density--to calculate that. You would use numbers for the Earth itself. Similarly, the problem is asking you to use numbers for our galaxy's halo to calculate the average density of dark matter there.)

So its mass PER (divided by) volume? Whats the mass we're dealing with and what's the volume? You have a radius in megaparsecs. Google can convert that for you.

Related to The average density of halo of non-baryonic dark matter?

What is non-baryonic dark matter and how does it differ from ordinary matter?

Non-baryonic dark matter is a type of matter that is not made up of atoms and does not interact with light, making it invisible. It differs from ordinary matter, also known as baryonic matter, which is made up of atoms and can be seen and interact with light.

How is the average density of the halo of non-baryonic dark matter calculated?

The average density of the halo of non-baryonic dark matter is calculated by measuring the gravitational effects of the dark matter on surrounding objects, such as stars and galaxies. By studying the motion of these objects, scientists can estimate the amount of dark matter in a particular region and calculate its density.

What is the significance of the average density of the halo of non-baryonic dark matter?

The average density of the halo of non-baryonic dark matter is significant because it helps scientists understand the distribution and amount of dark matter in the universe. It also provides insights into the formation and evolution of galaxies and the large-scale structure of the universe.

How does the average density of the halo of non-baryonic dark matter affect the expansion of the universe?

The average density of the halo of non-baryonic dark matter is a crucial factor in determining the expansion rate of the universe. It contributes to the total amount of matter in the universe and influences the rate of expansion through its gravitational pull.

What are the current theories and hypotheses explaining the nature of non-baryonic dark matter?

While there is still much unknown about dark matter, scientists have proposed various theories and hypotheses to explain its nature. Some of these include weakly interacting massive particles (WIMPs), axions, sterile neutrinos, and modified gravity. Further research and observations are needed to determine the true nature of non-baryonic dark matter.