At what redshift does the density of M > density of DM

In summary, the problem picture shows the relationship between the three densities: Omega, Critical, and Dark Energy. Omega is the density of dark energy, Critical is the density of matter, and Matter is the density of everything else. The problem picture also points out that the sum of the Ωs under the squareroot is always 1. From the information in the picture, it is possible to calculate the value for w, which is probably 1. It is also possible to calculate the value for H(a), which is the Hubble constant. Finally, it is also possible to calculate the value for ρM, which is the density of matter.
Phil1093
Here is the problem link picture http://i.imgur.com/0BtcXJk.png

I know that omega=density/critical density
so I know I can find the value of all of those.
DE is dark energy and M is matter (I'm pretty sure).

I assume I have to sub that formula into equation 1, and then rearrange it to create a greater than sign somehow. I think I might have to involve Hubble's constant = a'/a too, to get rid of the (a0/a)^3I really don't know what to do after that. Any help would be great thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Phil1093 said:
Here is the problem link picture http://i.imgur.com/0BtcXJk.png
Hi Phil:

Take a look at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lambda-CDM_model , under "Cosmic expansion history", the 6th equation. What this tells you is that the sum of the Ωs under the squareroot is always = 1.

From the two equations in the PNG you cited, you should be able to calculate the value for w, which is probably 1.
From the first equation in the PNG, you should see that k = 0 and Ωk = 0.

You also need to calculate H(a) since that is the value of H you need to use in calculating ρc for the value of a that will satisfy
ρM = ρDE. Also keep in mind that ρDE is a constant (doesn't vary with a).BTW, the title of this thread doesn't match the problem in the PNG.

I hope this is helpful,

Regards,
Buzz

Likes Phil1093
Buzz Bloom said:
Hi Phil:

Take a look at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lambda-CDM_model , under "Cosmic expansion history", the 6th equation. What this tells you is that the sum of the Ωs under the squareroot is always = 1.

From the two equations in the PNG you cited, you should be able to calculate the value for w, which is probably 1.

You also need to calculate H(a) since that is the value of H you need to use in calculating ρc for the value of a that will satisfy
ρM = ρDE. Also keep in mind that ρDE is a constant (doesn't vary with a).BTW, the title of this thread doesn't match the problem in the PNG.

I hope this is helpful,

Regards,
Buzz
Thanks, I think I understand it, I have worked out H(a) too. I'm just stuck on how to make ρM = ρDE. As well as the formulae that associates the scale factor with z.

Thanks
Regards
Phil1093

Buzz Bloom said:
Hi Phil:

I hope this is helpful,

Regards,
Buzz
you can ignore my previous reply, I think I have it. Thank you

Buzz Bloom said:
Hi Phil:

I hope this is helpful,

Regards,
Buzz
I worked out the answer for z to be around 0.33, does that sound about right?

Phil1093 said:
I worked out the answer for z to be around 0.33, does that sound about right?
Hi Phil:

Yes.

There is a simpler way to get the answer than using all my hints. I thought having you look at a broader picture would be helpful preparation for what the course is likely to cover later.

The value of a you want corresponds to ρDE = ρM = ρM0 / a3.

Regards,
Buzz

Likes Phil1093

1. What is redshift and how does it relate to the density of matter and dark matter?

Redshift is a measure of how much the wavelength of light from a distant object has been stretched as it travels through space. It is commonly used to study the expansion of the universe. The density of matter and dark matter at a given redshift can provide information about the distribution and evolution of these components in the universe.

2. How is the density of matter and dark matter calculated at a specific redshift?

The density of matter and dark matter at a specific redshift is calculated using observations of the cosmic microwave background radiation, galaxy surveys, and other astronomical observations. These data are used to create models that can estimate the density of matter and dark matter at different points in cosmic history.

3. Is there a specific redshift at which the density of matter becomes greater than the density of dark matter?

No, there is no specific redshift at which the density of matter becomes greater than the density of dark matter. The ratios of matter and dark matter in the universe have been evolving since the beginning of the universe and vary across different regions of space.

4. How does the density of matter and dark matter affect the formation of galaxies?

The density of matter and dark matter play a crucial role in the formation of galaxies. Regions of higher density have a stronger gravitational pull, causing matter and dark matter to clump together and form structures like galaxies and galaxy clusters. The distribution of matter and dark matter also affects the evolution and shape of galaxies.

5. Can changes in the density of matter and dark matter at different redshifts help us understand the expansion of the universe?

Yes, changes in the density of matter and dark matter at different redshifts can provide valuable insights into the expansion of the universe. By studying the distribution of matter and dark matter at different points in cosmic history, scientists can better understand the processes that have shaped the expansion of the universe over billions of years.