The Asteroid (implicit differentiation)

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the length of the graph or equation x^(2/3) + y^(2/3) = a^(2/3). The problem is reformed and implicit differentiation is used to find the derivative of y with respect to x. The conversation also includes the use of the Pythagorean theorem and the attempt at a solution. The formula for the length of the astroid's curve is also mentioned, as well as finding the logical explanation for why (a-b)Φ=bϑ.
TicTacToe

Homework Statement

Calculate the length of the graph/equation: x^(2/3) + y^(2/3) = a^(2/3)

The graph is formed as an s.c. asteroid, almost like a diamond. It seems to be some sort of modified unit circle.

Homework Equations

The length of the graph between x1 and x2 can be described as L=∫ √(1+(y´(x))2) dx

Might as well throw in the Pythagorian theorem: a2 + b2 = c2

The Attempt at a Solution

The problem can reformed this way.

x^(2/3) + y^(2/3) - a^(2/3) = 0

Implicit differentiate the LHS with respect to x (dy/dx)=

(2x^(-1/3))/3 + (2y^(-1/3))/3 * y´ = 0 (I thought of a as a constant)

y´ = - ((2x^(-1/3))/3) / ((2y^(-1/3))/3) which leads to

y´= - y^(1/3) / x^(1/3)

Now, I'm not quite sure from here and onwards.

y = (-x^(2/3) + a^(2/3))^(3/2) <--- is this correct? if so then the length of the graph could be described as

L = ∫ √(1+(-((-x^(2/3)+a^(2/3))^(3/2))^(1/3) / x^(1/3)))2

but I can't really figure this out. I mean, I still have 2 variables and it's already messy as it is. The uncertainty lies in what y should be written as. So my direct question is, could anybody solve out y from this equation and make it possible to integrate the L-equation? Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
TicTacToe said:

Homework Statement

Calculate the length of the graph/equation: x^(2/3) + y^(2/3) = a^(2/3)

The graph is formed as an s.c. asteroid, almost like a diamond. It seems to be some sort of modified unit circle.

Homework Equations

The length of the graph between x1 and x2 can be described as L=∫ √(1+(y´(x))2) dx

Might as well throw in the Pythagorian theorem: a2 + b2 = c2

The Attempt at a Solution

The problem can reformed this way.

x^(2/3) + y^(2/3) - a^(2/3) = 0

Implicit differentiate the LHS with respect to x (dy/dx)=

(2x^(-1/3))/3 + (2y^(-1/3))/3 * y´ = 0 (I thought of a as a constant)

y´ = - ((2x^(-1/3))/3) / ((2y^(-1/3))/3) which leads to

y´= - y^(1/3) / x^(1/3)

Now, I'm not quite sure from here and onwards.

y = (-x^(2/3) + a^(2/3))^(3/2) <--- is this correct? if so then the length of the graph could be described as

L = ∫ √(1+(-((-x^(2/3)+a^(2/3))^(3/2))^(1/3) / x^(1/3)))2

but I can't really figure this out. I mean, I still have 2 variables and it's already messy as it is. The uncertainty lies in what y should be written as. So my direct question is, could anybody solve out y from this equation and make it possible to integrate the L-equation? Thanks in advance.

It would be much more readable if you use the X2 button or simple Tex. You are on the right track you have

[tex]y' = -\frac{y^{\frac 1 3}}{x^{\frac 1 3}}[/tex]

so

[tex]y'^2 = \frac{y^{\frac 2 3}}{x^{\frac 2 3}} =
\frac{a^{\frac 2 3}-x^{\frac 2 3}}
{x^{\frac 2 3}}[/tex]

Now simplify 1 + y'2 by combining the two terms and you might be surprised.

Thanks LCKurtz!

Now I get the formula:

√ (a^(2/3)/x^(2/3)) dx = The length of the curve between two x-values

I guess I should integrate this next. I'll do it tomorrow and if I encounter any problems I'll ask for further guidance.

Can't really get the hang of those TEX stuff

Alright, I might have the answer to this now but I'm not quite sure. I have integrated the expression:

L = ∫ √ (a(2/3)/x(2/3)) dx =

= ∫ a(1/3)/x(1/3) dx

to

[ ∛a * (3/2) * x(2/3) ]

Known by the graph on my analog paper a is represented as the max value of x and y, both positive and negative. In the quadrangular diamond (the asteroid) a is represented as the max value of the four directions to further explain. So therefore I set x1 to -a and x2 as 0 and calculated the equation given above. I received the answer

L = -(3/2)*a

So I assumed length of the whole diamond is 4*(3/2)*a since length in this case can't be described as negative (?) and the diamond is a quadrangular where each curve is separated by the x and y angles and the curves are identical.

Does this seem to make sense? That the length of each curve is the 3/2 times longer than the max x and y value (which are the same value as a). I must admit, I am a bit skeptical to the "length can't be described as negative"-part. All help and input is greatly appreciated and everyone that helps other people in here are true heroes.

It's called ASTROID, not ASTEROID.

Dickfore said:
It's called ASTROID, not ASTEROID.

Aight, thanks but do you have any else that might help me with the problem?

Yes, Google astroid. There is a formula for the perimeter of this curve.

Could someone give me a hint how the formula

s(θ) = (8*(a-b)*b*(sin (aθ/4b))^2)/a

is derived. s is the arc length of the astroid's curve.

where θ is the angle of the circle with (a-b) radius.

Thanks in advance!

the formula can be find at http://mathworld.wolfram.com/Hypocycloid.html

Last edited:

Well, I'll try with a more simple question then, I guess. All hypocycloid can be described as a smaller circle rotating inside a larger, with a point P on the rim of the circle creating the curve. Why is then the smaller circle radius (b) * the angle in the small circle (ϑ) the same as the big circle's radius minus the small circle's radius (a-b) * the angle of the big circle (Φ)?

Simply, why is (a-b)Φ=bϑ ?

I can't seem to find any logical explanations. Do they develop the same arc length?

I really wish someone could help me with this one.

Thanks in advance.

Related to The Asteroid (implicit differentiation)

1. What is the Asteroid (implicit differentiation)?

The Asteroid (implicit differentiation) is a mathematical concept that involves finding the derivative of an equation that is not explicitly written in terms of a dependent variable. It is used to solve equations with multiple variables and can be applied to many different types of equations.

2. How is implicit differentiation different from explicit differentiation?

Explicit differentiation involves finding the derivative of an equation that is explicitly written in terms of a dependent variable, while implicit differentiation involves finding the derivative of an equation that is not explicitly written in terms of a dependent variable. Implicit differentiation is more complex and requires the use of the chain rule.

3. Why is implicit differentiation useful in science?

Implicit differentiation is useful in science because many real-world problems involve multiple variables that are not explicitly related. It allows scientists to find the rate of change of one variable with respect to another, even when the relationship between the variables is not explicitly known.

4. What are some real-life applications of implicit differentiation?

Implicit differentiation has many real-life applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. For example, it can be used to calculate the rate of change of velocity with respect to time in a projectile motion problem or to determine the optimal production level in a manufacturing process.

5. What are some common mistakes made when using implicit differentiation?

One common mistake when using implicit differentiation is forgetting to apply the chain rule correctly. It is important to identify the dependent variable and apply the chain rule to each term in the equation. Another mistake is mixing up the variables and their derivatives, leading to incorrect results.