The ''apparent'' velocity in an axis fixed to the body

In summary: as a consolation: by the time you have built up some experience with this stuff, you won't notice the sloppiness any more-- until you become a helper for others :smile:
influx
13d262.png

The above states that the velocity of point Q relative to P is represented by dr/dt. However, it also states that ∂r/∂t is the apparent velocity of Q in Pxyz. How does that make sense? I mean P is the origin of axes Pxyz so surely the velocity of point Q relative to P should be the same as the apparent velocity of Q in Pxyz?

Also, slightly unrelated to the above, what is the exact difference between a frame of reference and an axis? My lecturer uses them interchangeably but I suspect there is a difference.

I'm a layman when it comes to this topic and my lecturer hasn't explained this whole topic very well so I'd appreciate it if someone could simplify.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Oh boy, book's not so clear and teacher hasn't succeeded in lifting the fog.

True velocity of Q in OXYZ is the change of the vector OQ per delta time in the limit ##\Delta t \rightarrow 0##.
Now, vector OQ is equal to vector OP + ##\vec r## --- but vector ##\vec r## has to be expressed in OXYZ coordinates to actually find the coordinates in OXYZ. You see that done a few lines further down.

OP is constant in time (fixed axis), so ##{d\over dt}\, \vec {OP} = 0## and thereby $$ {d\over dt}\, \vec {OQ} = {d\over dt}\, \vec {OP} + {d\over dt}\, \vec r = {d \vec r \over dt} $$

I find the ##\displaystyle \dot{\vec r} ={\partial r \over \partial t}## an unfortunate way of expressing. ##\vec r## is a function of t only.

--

BvU said:
I find the ##\displaystyle \dot{\vec r} ={\partial r \over \partial t}## an unfortunate way of expressing. ##\vec r## is a function of t only.

--

Now you mention it, the notes accompanying the lecture slides did mention that the notation isn't strictly correct but is being used for convenience (or something to that effect).

Since apparent velocity = ∂r/∂t , and you're saying that r is a function of t only then doesn't that imply that strictly speaking apparent velocity also = dr/dt ?

Thanks

influx said:
Since apparent velocity = ∂r/∂t , and you're saying that r is a function of t only then doesn't that imply that strictly speaking apparent velocity also = dr/dt ?
Yes. Not just strictly, but any which way. Velocity is defined as ##\equiv {d\vec r\over dt}## in any frame of reference.

What they work out here is the velocity in two different frames of reference. And they make things worse by using "apparent" for things in frame Pxyz -- without quotes.

The fog is created created because they don't mention in which of the two frames of reference the expressions are worked out. For example :
Velocity of point Q relative to P $$ {d\vec r \over dt} =\dot r_x {\bf i} + \dot r_y {\bf j} + \dot r_z {\bf k} + r_x {d {\bf i} \over dt } + r_y {d {\bf j} \over dt } + r_z {d {\bf k} \over dt } $$
is in frame OXYZ ! (in frame Pxyx the ## {\bf i}, \ {\bf j}, \ {\bf k} \ ## are not moving!)

See also the last line in your picture: Q fixed to the body ##\Rightarrow \vec r ## is constant in frame Pxyz, so there the velocity is zero. ( ##\vec 0## ! ) The writers are so deep into the jargon that for them it is a problem to present the material in a didactically perfect manner. Victims are the newbies -- ironically it is those for whom the book is written.

So as a consolation: by the time you have built up some experience with this stuff, you won't notice the sloppiness any more-- until you become a helper for others :smile: .

BvU said:
Yes. Not just strictly, but any which way. Velocity is defined as ##\equiv {d\vec r\over dt}## in any frame of reference.

What they work out here is the velocity in two different frames of reference. And they make things worse by using "apparent" for things in frame Pxyz -- without quotes.

The fog is created created because they don't mention in which of the two frames of reference the expressions are worked out. For example :
is in frame OXYZ ! (in frame Pxyx the ## {\bf i}, \ {\bf j}, \ {\bf k} \ ## are not moving!)

See also the last line in your picture: Q fixed to the body ##\Rightarrow \vec r ## is constant in frame Pxyz, so there the velocity is zero. ( ##\vec 0## ! )The writers are so deep into the jargon that for them it is a problem to present the material in a didactically perfect manner. Victims are the newbies -- ironically it is those for whom the book is written.

So as a consolation: by the time you have built up some experience with this stuff, you won't notice the sloppiness any more-- until you become a helper for others :smile: .

Ah that makes sense. So to summarise would it be correct to say that the velocity of Q relative to P in the frame Pxyz is

1f14bf.png

(i.e. the exact same as in the frame OXYZ but without the di/dt, dj/dt and dk/dt terms)?

Yes. And rz = 0.

Likes influx

Related to The ''apparent'' velocity in an axis fixed to the body

1. What is the "apparent" velocity in an axis fixed to the body?

The "apparent" velocity in an axis fixed to the body refers to the perceived velocity of an object when observed from a reference frame that is moving along with the object. This can be different from the actual velocity of the object as measured from a stationary reference frame.

2. How is the "apparent" velocity calculated?

The "apparent" velocity in an axis fixed to the body is calculated by taking into account the velocity of the reference frame in which the object is observed, as well as the angular velocity of the object itself. This can be done using vector addition and trigonometric functions.

3. Why is the concept of "apparent" velocity important in physics?

The concept of "apparent" velocity is important in physics because it allows us to understand and predict the motion of objects from different reference frames. It also helps us to explain phenomena such as the Doppler effect, where the observed frequency of a wave can change depending on the relative motion between the source and the observer.

4. How does the "apparent" velocity change with the direction of observation?

The "apparent" velocity can change with the direction of observation, as it is dependent on the relative motion between the reference frame and the object. For example, if the observer is moving towards the object, the "apparent" velocity may appear greater than the actual velocity of the object.

5. Is the "apparent" velocity the same as the relative velocity?

No, the "apparent" velocity and the relative velocity are not the same. The relative velocity refers to the velocity of an object as measured from an observer's reference frame, while the "apparent" velocity takes into account the velocity of the reference frame itself. However, in some cases, the "apparent" velocity may be equal to the relative velocity if the reference frame is stationary or moving at a constant velocity.