The angular momentum operator acting on a wave function

In summary, the conversation discusses the eigenvalues of two wave functions, \phi_1 and \phi_2, when acted upon by the angular momentum operator, L_z. The concern is that even though \phi_1 and \phi_2 appear to be complex conjugates of each other, they have different eigenvalues. However, it is explained that this is due to the complex conjugation not being invariant under the operator L_z, as it contains an "i". The negative sign in the complex conjugated eigenvalue equation accounts for this.
Jerrynap
Hi guys, I need help on interpreting this solution.

Let me have two wave functions:
[itex]\phi_1 = N_1(r) (x+iy)[/itex]
[itex]\phi_2 = N_2(r) (x-iy)[/itex]

If the angular momentum acts on both of them, the result will be:

[itex]L_z \phi_1 = \hbar \phi_1[/itex]
[itex]L_z \phi_2 = -\hbar \phi_2[/itex]

My concern is, [itex]\phi_1[/itex] and [itex]\phi_2[/itex] look really like the complex conjugate of each other, so why do they have different eigenvalue?

Physics news on Phys.org
Jerrynap said:
My concern is, [itex]\phi_1[/itex] and [itex]\phi_2[/itex] look really like the complex conjugate of each other, so why do they have different eigenvalue?
Why should they have the same eigenvalue? Have a look at the complex conjugated eigenvalue equation (A|λ>)* = (λ|λ>)* <=> A*|λ>*=λ|λ>*.

kith said:
Why should they have the same eigenvalue? Have a look at the complex conjugated eigenvalue equation (A|λ>)* = (λ|λ>)* <=> A*|λ>*=λ|λ>*.

Well, A* = A (hermitian) and λ is real. So wouldn't it be

[itex]
\hat{A}^*\left| λ\right\rangle^* = \hat{A}\left| λ\right\rangle^* = λ\left| λ\right\rangle^* ?
[/itex]

Jerrynap said:
Well, A* = A (hermitian)
Hermitian refers to the adjoint operator A+ and not to the complex conjugate A*. If you look at Lz in spherical coordinates, you see that it isn't invariant under complex conjugation because it contains an "i".

Oh... I see where the negative sign came about. Lz* = -Lz. This can be seen in Cartesian coordinates as well since p* = -p. Thanks kith

Related to The angular momentum operator acting on a wave function

1. What is angular momentum and how does it relate to the wave function?

Angular momentum is a measure of the rotational motion of a physical system. In quantum mechanics, it is represented by the angular momentum operator, which acts on the wave function to determine the probability of finding a particle in a certain state with a certain amount of angular momentum.

2. How is the angular momentum operator defined?

The angular momentum operator is defined as the cross product of the position operator and the momentum operator. In mathematical notation, it is represented as L = r x p.

3. What are the properties of the angular momentum operator?

The angular momentum operator has several important properties, including commutativity, which means that it does not matter in what order it acts on a wave function. It also has a set of eigenvalues, which correspond to the possible values of angular momentum that a particle can have.

4. How does the angular momentum operator affect the shape of the wave function?

The angular momentum operator can cause the wave function to change its shape in space, resulting in different probabilities for the position of a particle. This is because the operator contains information about the angular momentum of the particle, which affects its motion and position.

5. Can the angular momentum operator be applied to all types of particles?

Yes, the angular momentum operator can be applied to all types of particles, including electrons, protons, and atoms. This is because all particles have some amount of angular momentum, and the operator is used to calculate and describe this property in quantum mechanics.