The amorphous borders between grains in a metal

In summary, polycrystalline materials, such as metals and ceramics, are made up of 'grains' with repeating crystal patterns and grain boundaries. These grain boundaries can be interrupted crystal arrangements or dislocations. Ores are not pure metals, so the amorphous solids separating the grains would likely be impurities in the ore. Pure metals can have grain boundaries, as it is difficult for a single crystal to form due to kinetic limitations.
rabbitweed
I am taking Engineering 101, and trying to get the hang of metal structure on a 'grains' level.

Ok, so my understanding is this;

Metals are polycrystalline materials, that can be divided up into 'grains'. These grains are basically crystals/lattices with a repeating pattern, separated by amorphous solids. The place where two grains are separated by an amorphous solid is known as a grain boundary.

All correct so far?!

Ok, my question is; say in a lump of Fe ore, would these amorphous solids separating the grains be made of Fe, or some impurity?

Does pure metal have grain boundaries? It would seem to me they would likely form one giant crystal...but my understanding is hazy.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Polycrystalline materials (metals and ceramics) imply 'grains' which are the subunits in a solid. Each grain has a given lattice orientation, and the grain boundaries are more or less amorphous due to the mismatch between the adjacent lattices.

Ores are metal oxides, sulfides, carbonates, . . . , but not pure metal.

One could conceiveably have a single crystal of pure metal or alloy, but more often pure metals are polycrystalline due to the nature of the solidification process. Impurities are usually present in the ppm range.

rabbitweed said:
These grains are basically crystals/lattices with a repeating pattern, separated by amorphous solids.

This isn't the best way to put it. There are regions of interrupted crystal arrangements between grains, but these regions are hardly "solids." If two grains are nearly aligned, the grain boundary can be as mild as a periodic dislocation, and nobody would say that this interface is amorphous.

rabbitweed said:
Does pure metal have grain boundaries? It would seem to me they would likely form one giant crystal...but my understanding is hazy.

Yes, essentially every metal you ever see will be polycrystalline. Although there's a driving force to form a single crystal (since the grain boundaries have a higher energy), the kinetic limitations are prohibitive.

Related to The amorphous borders between grains in a metal

1. What are amorphous borders in a metal?

Amorphous borders are the areas where grains, or small crystals, in a metal meet and interact with each other. They are the boundaries between different crystal structures within a metal.

2. How do amorphous borders affect the properties of a metal?

Amorphous borders can affect the strength, ductility, and other mechanical properties of a metal. They can also impact the electrical and thermal conductivity of a metal.

3. Why are amorphous borders important in materials science?

Amorphous borders play a crucial role in determining the overall behavior and performance of a metal. Understanding and controlling these borders is essential in designing and improving the properties of materials.

4. How do scientists study amorphous borders in metals?

Scientists use various techniques such as electron microscopy, X-ray diffraction, and spectroscopy to study amorphous borders in metals. These methods allow them to visualize and analyze the structure and composition of these borders.

5. Can amorphous borders be manipulated or controlled?

Yes, amorphous borders can be manipulated and controlled through various methods such as heat treatment, alloying, and mechanical processing. These techniques can modify the size, distribution, and properties of the borders, leading to desired changes in the metal's overall behavior.