The 21st century: Is there a cause greater than oneself anymore?

• Thread starter avant-garde
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cause
In summary: There is a woman in Brazil by the name of Rosana Batista who started a school for street children that provides them with an education and a place to stay.She started this school after she realized that there was no other place for these children to go when they didn't have homes and no parents to take them in. She also started a foundation that helps to provide other needs such as food and clothing for the children.3) There is also a man in Africa by the name of Richard Branson who started the Virgin Unite foundation. This foundation is dedicated to helping people in need, whether it's through providing medical help or providing education.He has helped fund many projects throughout Africa and has
avant-garde
The 21st century: Is there a "cause greater than oneself" anymore?

It seems that in today's society, (heavily consumer and inidividual based), there isn't much to live for other than the satisfaction of the self. Sure there's "Donate $10 to Haiti" and events like that, but these causes are very temporary and after they're gone, they leave a vacuum.

Thus, is there a grand, encompassing, seemingly permanent cause anymore? I used to think striving for the Technological Singularity was my cause... but why should it be? Nobody beyond certain comp sci, physics,etc "nerds" really seem to care. Then there's the issue of "what if it never happens?"... then what cause do we turn to? If Singularity is one's cause, why should he choose a career in accountancy, for instance, over computer science? Should we just turn to religion for solace/cause instead?

Ok, that's kind of what's been on my mind... it seems jumbled and naive. Well, I recently turned 18 and realized that there's something absent from the way society has become; not looking much beyond self activities such as TV and living alone rather than in communities. Has anyone here ever felt a need to find a meaning, due to these reasons?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

avant-garde said:
I recently turned 18 and realized that there's something absent from the way society has become; not looking much beyond self activities such as TV and living alone rather than in communities. Has anyone here ever felt a need to find a meaning, due to these reasons?
Honestly, no. I don't harm anyone or the environment, I help where I can, and I do it because I am a "usually" decent person, I don't require any "cause" to do these things.

Raising children certainly fulfills the need to live for a greater cause, for most people.

But I know what you're saying. No, I don't think there is as strong of a community feeling as there used to be. Some of it is a culture that values individuality, sure.

But I think some of it is caused by us being so mobile. People move so frequently now, often hundreds or thousands of miles away, so they don't get a chance to form bonds in the community.

avant-garde said:
It seems that in today's society,

That phrase has been used for as long as societies existed, and probably misused long before. There's nothing unique about the 21st century in terms of goals greater than oneself.

There's probably many more noble goals to strive for today than there was in the medieval age. I'd certainly consider helping humanity develop better technology, or clean up the atmosphere, or explore space to be much better causes than going on a crusade or helping attack a country because its people have slightly flatter noses.

Singularity is a meaningless concept and I never understood why someone would be so enthusiastic about it.

Everyone turning to religions would be .. http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/8476534.stm" .

I like the way things go; I don't require reasons/causes to enjoy all the things. Due to diverse cultures/societies and easier mobility from one region to another, you can live wherever you feel happier. No one is stopping you.

Last edited by a moderator:

avant-garde said:
Well, I recently turned 18 and realized that there's something absent from the way society has become;...

well, you're at that age when your eyes open more to the world and the juices of freedom start stirring in the system---looking for a cause, a reason, --something 'greater'

I most definitely feel I must have a purpose in life, a real way to influence the world. That knaws at me every single day.

There are some incredible people I have read about doing such things:

1) One of the most incredible people I read about, although I have to get his books, is Greg Mortenson. He basically is on a mission to fight terrorism through education.

He tried to climb the mountain K2 some years back and failed and ended up lost and almost died. Villagers from a local village found him and nursed him back to health (even though they themselves are incredibly poor). He swore he would repay them by helping them build a bridge over a river in their area and also help them build a school.

So it took some time to fundraise, but then he went back to the area with the materials and the villagers were able to build their bridge and their school.

This resulted in a huge amount of requests from other local villages that asked for aid. So fast-forward and he has gotten over 100 schools built throughout Pakistan and Afghanistan.

What is neat is these schools take the place where extremist Islamic madrassas tend to take over and turn the locals into terrorists. Many of the villagers are so poor that they turn to these for help anyhow, even though they really want nothing to do with them. Quite a few really do not like them.

Mortenson's schools prevent them (the madrassas) from going into areas they otherwise would, however. He has a saying: "You educate a boy, you educated an individual, but educate a girl, and you educate a whole community."

Boys are important, but the most important element is to educate the women and girls, as this has wide-ranging effects. He says the people in these villages are very hungry and eager for education, and understand it is a real tool to get them out of poverty.

He has been lambasted for building the schools by certain strict Muslims (it is heresy to educate women to them) and he was even held hostage by some terrorists for a while I believe. It is dangerous work he does, as you DO NOT go into Taliban territory and build schools for GIRLS!

But thanks to his work he has significantly upped the number of girls (and people overall) being educated in these regions. What is very neat is how much money this costs. He says for about $1 million, they can build around forty schools. Yet, the United States alone has given something on the order of $256 million to the Pakistan government for education purposes with zero results. Yet this guy can build forty schools for $1 million because he is directly involved, so the money doesn't get swallowed by a corrupt bureaucracy.

He has written two books thus far:

Three Cups of Tea: One Man's Mission to Promote Peace...One School At A Time
Stones Into Schools: Promoting Peace With Books, Not Bombs, In Pakistan and Afghanistan

Here are the websites:

http://www.threecupsoftea.com/
http://www.stonesintoschools.com/

Mortenson was nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize in 2009. I seriously hope he is nominated for it again this year, as he really deserves to win it IMO. This is real peace-work he does.

2) Another man I greatly admire is Muhammad Yunus, who created the concept of microfinance and microcredit and founded Grameen Bank. The concept from what I understand is not perfect, but it is a big step in providing finance for entrepreneurs in Third World countries.

One of the big barriers to economic development in these nations is lack of financial institutions. With no developed financial system, there is no way to spread risk out, so finance remains solely a tool of the rich. Thus the only method to obtain financing for a business idea is through a loan shark.

Microfinance allows people who would otherwise be unable to obtain loans from normal banks to obtain them to start businesses. As I said, the concept isn't perfect, but it is a big step in the right direction.

Muhammad Yunus created Grameen Bank and both he and the bank were awared the Nobel Peace Prize.

Interestingly, AGAIN, women are a key factor, they make up the majority of the entrepreneurs seeking loans!

Yunus has also written two books thus far:

Banker to the Poor: Microlending and the Battle Against World Poverty
Creating a World Without Poverty: Social Business and the Future of Capitalism

3) A third person I am very impressed with is Elon Musk, the PayPal entrepreneur, who has devoted himself to three companies:

--- his Tesla Motors which makes the Tesla electric sports car
--- a solar power company
--- SpaceX (Space Exploration Technologies), in which he is seeking to significantly lower the cost of launching things into space. His first step is to lower the costs of launching satellites significantly (which right now that market is dominated by the big aerospace firms who have seen no need to improve their technology since they own that industry, thus it is very expensive).

I have doubts about the viability of solar power and the capabilities of electric cars and I do not know if he will succeed or not with his rocket technology, but I very much hope he does and I greatly admire him for putting his money where his mouth is and working hard to improve in all these areas (energy technology, automobile technology, and space exploration).

I am sure there are other incredible people out there too that I am just unaware of right now, but these are three I greatly admire.

So yes, there ARE causes you can devote yourself to and create real change on the planet, you just have to find them and devote yourself.

Last edited:

Perhaps it is something similar to what is discussed here...
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=363293
...that you are experiencing. There are any number of causes out there for one to devote oneself to. Which one is more worthy? Which one will give you a greater feeling of fulfillment?

Its a lot easier to have your choices laid out for you simply than it is to actually have to look for meaning in life yourself.

Perhaps instead of trying to find a cause, you should be more concerned with your effect.

I honestly think that, if I didn't have the sexual drive that most 18-year olds do, I'd probably be happiest in a temple as a Zen monk rather than "striving" for things in this world that I know won't make me any happier or miserable.

Even w/o a "grander cause" or whatnot. One of my happiest times is when I'm in my room just thinking/meditating, but my parents don't like it because I'm not "going outside" enough.

Serving your country, contributing to society by scientific research, working construction, flipping burgers at McDonalds, being the curly fry master at Arby's. Anything you end up doing besides staying at home with your parents is contributing to the greater cause of human advancement. That 16 year old acne-ridden kid that is packaging your order at Taco-Johns is contributing to society just as effectively as someone who is finding the mysteries of the universe.

avant-garde said:
It seems that in today's society, (heavily consumer and inidividual based), there isn't much to live for other than the satisfaction of the self. Sure there's "Donate $10 to Haiti" and events like that, but these causes are very temporary and after they're gone, they leave a vacuum.

Thus, is there a grand, encompassing, seemingly permanent cause anymore? I used to think striving for the Technological Singularity was my cause... but why should it be? Nobody beyond certain comp sci, physics,etc "nerds" really seem to care. Then there's the issue of "what if it never happens?"... then what cause do we turn to? If Singularity is one's cause, why should he choose a career in accountancy, for instance, over computer science? Should we just turn to religion for solace/cause instead?

Ok, that's kind of what's been on my mind... it seems jumbled and naive. Well, I recently turned 18 and realized that there's something absent from the way society has become; not looking much beyond self activities such as TV and living alone rather than in communities. Has anyone here ever felt a need to find a meaning, due to these reasons?
Developing more efficient, more sustainable and less environmentally damaging resources such as clean water and clean energy are certainly causes greater than oneself because it affects all of humanity.

There's also program like Greg Mortenson and his Central Asia Institutue which help local communities in Afghanistan and Pakistan build schools, especially schools for girls, in hope of improving literacy in those areas.
See the related thread - https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=257493

It's only a matter of practicing good stewardship and moderation, rather than profligacy and excessive indulgence.

Astronuc said:
Developing more efficient, more sustainable and less environmentally damaging resources such as clean water and clean energy are certainly causes greater than oneself because it affects all of humanity.

There's also program like Greg Mortenson and his Central Asia Institutue which help local communities in Afghanistan and Pakistan build schools, especially schools for girls, in hope of improving literacy in those areas.
See the related thread - https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=257493

It's only a matter of practicing good stewardship and moderation, rather than profligacy and excessive indulgence.

I just wrote about this in my previous post, wasn't aware there was a thread on it though, coolbeans :smile:

If you haven't, you might also want to check out Muhammad Yunus and his books too on microfinance and Grameen Bank.

MotoH said:
Anything you end up doing besides staying at home with your parents is contributing to the greater cause of human advancement. That 16 year old acne-ridden kid that is packaging your order at Taco-Johns is contributing to society just as effectively as someone who is finding the mysteries of the universe.

I like it

MotoH said:
Serving your country, contributing to society by scientific research, working construction, flipping burgers at McDonalds, being the curly fry master at Arby's. Anything you end up doing besides staying at home with your parents is contributing to the greater cause of human advancement. That 16 year old acne-ridden kid that is packaging your order at Taco-Johns is contributing to society just as effectively as someone who is finding the mysteries of the universe.

Not necessarily. To take it to an extreme, a person who either 1) stays at home with their parents, or 2) becomes a suicide bomber, IMO, is better off staying at home. Not all "contributions" are not necessarily positive.

I also disagree that all jobs that "must be done" are of equal value.

Galteeth said:
Not necessarily. To take it to an extreme, a person who either 1) stays at home with their parents, or 2) becomes a suicide bomber, IMO, is better off staying at home. Not all "contributions" are not necessarily positive.

I also disagree that all jobs that "must be done" are of equal value.

What makes your job any more important to society than someone elses? Things need to be cleaned, food needs to be served, fields need to be harvested, discoveries need to be made. Everyone contributes to society if they have a job and do good. You can't compare working at a particle accelerator and flipping burgers, just like you can't compare flipping burgers and being a janitor. Each job contributes to society in its own way and they are incomparable.

um... I think what he meant was that being a janitor is wholly more replaceable than being, for instance, a physics professor.

Not as many people can fill the job, thus in a way it can be considered to have more "value." wouldn't go from a failed janitor to physics professor. it's more like failed physics professor decides to do custodial work in order to get paid

Again, completely different disciplines. Sure, a physics professor could mop the floors. But could he do it well? Most likely not.

Again, completely different disciplines. Sure, a janitor could teach physics. But could he do it well? Most likely not.

avant-garde said:
um... I think what he meant was that being a janitor is wholly more replaceable than being, for instance, a physics professor.

Not as many people can fill the job, thus in a way it can be considered to have more "value." wouldn't go from a failed janitor to physics professor. it's more like failed physics professor decides to do custodial work in order to get paid

There are also some jobs that have more value then others. Being a stripper, for example, is not as important as being a doctor. Individual people surely may value the service higher, but one makes a more significant contribution to humanity then the other.

EDIT: Even if you don't agree with the example, there is surely some job or function which someone performs which you would personally feel is of lesser value then some other function. The criteria for a "job" is just something that someone will exchange money for. It has no bearing on the "value" of the job, and even if you take the monetary value as being indicative of the value of the service, this implies that all jobs are not equal.

what if the janitor was the father of Faraday?---would his job be considered less because he was a janitor?

job/ 'Titles' may not mean much

MotoH said:
What makes your job any more important to society than someone elses?

The researchers who worked on electricity certainly had a greater effect on humanity than the janitors. Ditto for the scientists who sequenced the human genome or developed modern medicine.

ideasrule said:
The researchers who worked on electricity certainly had a greater effect on humanity than the janitors. Ditto for the scientists who sequenced the human genome or developed modern medicine.

Who kept their lab clean? Certainly these developments would not have happened if their labs were messy.

Surely it is easy to see such major breakthroughs as astonishing, but isn't the workforce of men and women who keep us from getting diseases by cleaning the world daily just as astonishing?

who cleans up all those moldy petri dishes in Fleming's lab?

MotoH said:
Again, completely different disciplines. Sure, a physics professor could mop the floors. But could he do it well? Most likely not.

Again, completely different disciplines. Sure, a janitor could teach physics. But could he do it well? Most likely not.

I'm not quite sure I would agree with these assessments but I agree with the general idea behind them. Sure and individual scientist may (or may not) contribute more greatly to society than anyone janitor but the janitor's job is still important. If there were no janitors, butchers, plumbers, garbage collectors, ect I think scientists would have a bit of a time getting along. Regardless of how well they may be able to accomplish the job what physicist is going to want to mop floors? I am not even a very well educated individual and I would hate to have a job moping floors. My current job requires a bit more mental activity than janitor but I still feel like my brain cells are rapidly becoming an endangered species. If I didn't have PF while I was here I would go mad. I can not imagine many individuals with the mind and education of a physicist would be very glad to be moping floors.

TheStatutoryApe said:
I'm not quite sure I would agree with these assessments but I agree with the general idea behind them. Sure and individual scientist may (or may not) contribute more greatly to society than anyone janitor but the janitor's job is still important. If there were no janitors, butchers, plumbers, garbage collectors, ect I think scientists would have a bit of a time getting along. Regardless of how well they may be able to accomplish the job what physicist is going to want to mop floors? I am not even a very well educated individual and I would hate to have a job moping floors. My current job requires a bit more mental activity than janitor but I still feel like my brain cells are rapidly becoming an endangered species. If I didn't have PF while I was here I would go mad. I can not imagine many individuals with the mind and education of a physicist would be very glad to be moping floors.

OK---A physicists teaches his whole life, never publishes anything, and all of his students don't either. And a janitor raises his son to be the next Faraday. Which one contributes more greatly to society?

It sounds like the 'label' of physicist, or maybe idea of it, sounds like its of greater contributor to society to you.

rewebster said:
OK---A physicists teaches his whole life, never publishes anything, and all of his students don't either. And a janitor raises his son to be the next Faraday. Which one contributes more greatly to society?

It sounds like the 'label' of physicist, or maybe idea of it, sounds like its of greater contributor to society to you.

I could frequent a sperm bank and create the next 10 Faradays. That does not mean that I have contributed greatly to society, just my offspring.

Note also the "or may not" clause in there. I am in no way of the belief that any given physicist is more likely to contribute more to society than any other person though I would reserve the opinion that they are more likely to. I knew a grad student physicist and even though I generally like the guy I am unsure that he would ever really contribute more to society than the average janitor.

Nebula815 said:
Mortenson was nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize in 2009. I seriously hope he is nominated for it again this year, as he really deserves to win it IMO. This is real peace-work he does.
I agree. Mortenson absolutely is the real McCoy and deserved the prize; what a misspent thing the prize has become.

I agree about Mortenson. IIRC, nominations are due in FEbraury for this year's prize, so contact your congress person or national legislator, or president or prime minister, or other eligible voter and remind them.

A similar program to the one by Mortenson and CAI is Developments in Literacy (DIL), which is dedicated to providing quality education to disadvantaged children, especially girls, by establishing and operating schools in the underdeveloped regions of Pakistan, with a strong focus on gender equality and community participation.
http://www.dil.org

The Foundation for African Medicine & Education is a non-profit corporation registered in the United States. It was created to improve the quality of medical care in East Africa. FAME endeavors to help bridge the gap between a critically under-resourced healthcare system and first-world medicine. FAME is currently focused on improving the quality and accessibility of medical care in Tanzania and making a difference in the day-to-day lives of the Tanzanian people.
http://www.fameafrica.org/
Dr. Frank Artress and his wife Susan Gustafson.

Eden Foundation - Founded 1985 in Sweden by Arne Garvi and his late wife Bettan, who died from breast cancer in Feb. 2008. By the time it was discovered, it was too late for life-saving treatment. Arni is a really great guy!
Active in Tanout, Niger, since 1987
http://www.eden-foundation.org/sitemap.html
http://www.eden-foundation.org/project/index.html
The villages of Tanout are amongst the poorest communities of the world and your contribution is invested in bringing them a sustainable life through trees and bushes that will grow under harsh conditions and give food in times of need.
There are 250,000 known plant species in the world, but only 20 of them provide 90% of our food.

We believe that the key to prosperity for the poor lie in underexploited, edible trees and bushes
- the lost treasures of Eden.

ClearWater is a nonprofit 501(c)(3) charitable organization dedicated to providing clean water to populations affected by natural or man-made humanitarian emergencies.
http://www.clearwaterinitiative.org/
Applying experience and responsible judgment, we promote simple, innovative solutions for clean water in disasters. We strive to achieve this mission through technical excellence, responsible use of donor funds, and compassion for the needs of individuals overwhelmed by circumstances beyond their control.

Founded in 2007 by an American Soldier deployed to the Horn of Africa, ClearWater projects are currently focused on conflict-affected areas of northern Uganda. By funding simple, sustainable water projects, ClearWater is on track to directly impact the lives of more than 50,000 people by 2013.

The International Rescue Committee - http://www.theirc.org/
http://www.theirc.org/about

Refugees International - http://www.refugeesinternational.org/who-we-are
Challenge
Refugee crises left unattended threaten stability around the world. There are 41.9 million refugees and internally displaced people and 12 million stateless people living in limbo without citizenship rights. People forced from their homes by conflict are among the world’s most vulnerable and they all have individual stories of loss, heartache and survival.

Engineers without borders
http://www.ewb-usa.org/

and there are many more.

Last edited by a moderator:

I hope not!

ThomasEdison said:

I hope not!

are you a republican?

Related to The 21st century: Is there a cause greater than oneself anymore?

1. What is meant by "cause greater than oneself" in the context of the 21st century?

In the 21st century, "cause greater than oneself" refers to a purpose, goal, or mission that goes beyond individual interests and benefits society as a whole. It can include issues such as social justice, environmental sustainability, and global peace.

2. How has the concept of a "cause greater than oneself" evolved in the 21st century?

The 21st century has seen a shift in the understanding of a "cause greater than oneself" from a focus on individual actions and charity to a more collective and systemic approach. This includes addressing root causes of issues and working towards long-term solutions rather than short-term fixes.

3. Is there evidence of people still pursuing a "cause greater than oneself" in the 21st century?

Yes, there are countless examples of individuals and organizations working towards causes greater than themselves in the 21st century. This can be seen in movements such as climate activism, human rights advocacy, and community service initiatives.

4. How does technology play a role in pursuing a "cause greater than oneself" in the 21st century?

Technology has greatly expanded the reach and impact of causes greater than oneself in the 21st century. It has allowed for easier communication, organization, and mobilization of individuals and groups, making it possible to create global movements for change.

5. What are some challenges in pursuing a "cause greater than oneself" in the 21st century?

Some challenges in pursuing a cause greater than oneself in the 21st century include apathy, lack of resources, and systemic barriers. Additionally, with the rise of social media and online activism, there has been criticism of "slacktivism" and the dilution of meaningful action. However, these challenges can be overcome through education, collaboration, and sustained effort.