Thankful for Worldwide standards

• Thread starter Algr
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Time
In summary, the world is divided by many conflicting standards including spoken languages, metric vs English, 50hz vs 60 hz current and video, and right and left hand driving. However, there are a few things that the world has agreed upon, such as Arabic numerals, time, and the Latin alphabet (although there are variations in transliterations). Other standards, such as the keyboard layout, vary by region. There are also some examples of non-Western standards, such as the use of Persian numerals in Iran. Overall, the idea of a nation is an artificial standard, with countries having their own passports and visas. However, there are still some universal standards that are widely accepted and used in different parts of the
Algr
The world is divided by many conflicting standards. Spoken languages, Metric vrs English, 50hz vrs 60 hz current and video, right and left hand driving, ext... But AFAIK, there do seem to be a few things that the world has thankfully agreed upon:

Arabic numerals: Other standards like Roman are used ceremonially, but I don't think anyone is balancing their checkbooks in Hebrew or Kanji.

Time: Everyone in the world understands that "noon" = 12. There is the minor variation of maritime vrs AM/PM, but no one ever took the metric clock or anything else seriously.

Latin alphabet: I'm not so sure about this. While lots of people can't use ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ to read words, basically everyone can at least type a URL. Whereas while "漢字.com" is a valid URL, I'd be out of luck if I ever had to type it! Perhaps it is Qwerty that is a worldwide standard.

Am I wrong about these? Are their other standards that I have missed?

Physics news on Phys.org
The whole idea of a nation is an artificial standard. Every country has passports and visas.

Albert Einstein lived in Switzerland without any papers for years, so it used to be much more relaxed.

Likes fresh_42
Obligatory xkcd comic:

http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/standards.png

Likes ProfuselyQuarky, Hoophy, collinsmark and 5 others
The metric system is more widely used than the Latin alphabet.

Likes Sophia
Hurray for Napoleon. Pity the Brits opted out - as usual :smile:

Likes fresh_42 and mfb
Algr said:
Arabic numerals: Other standards like Roman are used ceremonially, but I don't think anyone is balancing their checkbooks in Hebrew or Kanji.
Tell that to the Arabs! What we call arabic numerals are not what are currently used in written Arabic. Likewise, persian numerals are used in Iran. My guess is that these are not isolated examples.
Algr said:
Latin alphabet: I'm not so sure about this. While lots of people can't use ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ to read words, basically everyone can at least type a URL. Whereas while "漢字.com" is a valid URL, I'd be out of luck if I ever had to type it!
Even transliterations vary. For example, the famous Russian composer is Tchaikovsky is English, Tchaïkovski in French, Tjajkovskij in Swedish, ... Transliterations can even vary within one language (and country): How do you write the http://blog.dictionary.com/gaddafi/?

Algr said:
Perhaps it is Qwerty that is a worldwide standard.
The French use the Azerty keyboard (where you have to use the shift key to access the numbers :H), the Germans the Qwertz keyboard, ...

Last edited:
Likes Sophia
DrClaude said:
The French use the Azerty keyboard (where you have to use the shift key to access the number :H),

:H is a number in French? That explains a few things.

Algr said:
:H is a number in French? That explains a few things.
There was an s missing there o:)

Algr said:
Perhaps it is Qwerty that is a worldwide standard.

Am I wrong about these? Are their other standards that I have missed?
Sorry to disappoint you, but we (in Slovak and Czech version) use QWERTZ. Not sure why, but we do :) Still, on the minority of computers there are half-English keyboards (standard latin letters plus things like ľščťž etc) and using them drives me crazy because special symbols such as ?, ! and brackets are in different places and it takes a loooong time to write something!

Likes mister mishka
Sophia said:
Sorry to disappoint you, but we (in Slovak and Czech version) use QWERTZ. Not sure why, but we do :) Still, on the minority of computers there are half-English keyboards (standard latin letters plus things like ľščťž etc) and using them drives me crazy because special symbols such as ?, ! and brackets are in different places and it takes a loooong time to write something!

The Z and Y are reversed? If so I think they were for German keyboards..

I know what you mean with having to type on many different types of keyboards, even some that have all the letters in the "correct" place, the symbols are in totally different areas. I've used Canadian / Norwegian / Dutch / German / Russian keyboards, but now I just download the specific language keyboard (english Canada) since that is the one I have memorized from when I was younger. Though I do have to back-track to say Norwegian keyboards, to use some of the extra letters in its alphabet.. æ ø å

mister mishka said:
The Z and Y are reversed? If so I think they were for German keyboards..
Right. German keyboards have 24 letters in the same place as English ones, just Y and Z are reversed. Numbers are at the same place, of course. The other symbols are all different, unfortunately, and it is not a simple remapping - there is an additional key between Shift and Y (where Shift and Z are next to each other in the US), the "\|" key doesn't exist and Enter is larger.

I think it was someone in the company Data General that said: "The nice thing about standards is there are so many to choose from".

Likes zoobyshoe, Sophia and DrClaude
DrClaude said:
Tell that to the Arabs! What we call arabic numerals are not what are currently used in written Arabic. Likewise, persian numerals are used in Iran. My guess is that these are not isolated examples.

Are there calculators that use those characters? Clocks? At least everyone agrees on base ten, right?

Roman numbers are still base ten. You get a new symbol for each 10x, and half 10x.

Algr said:
Roman numbers are still base ten. You get a new symbol for each 10x, and half 10x.

No, they're not base ##10##. Roman numbers don't use the position system. That ##10## and ##5## are special numbers for them doesn't mean they use base ##10##.

Likes dlgoff
They are base ten. And if you say otherwise I'll have my cent-urians deci-mate you!

mfb said:
... the "\|" key ...
What the ...? Was zum Te...?

Also note that Roman does NOT have symbols for 25, 125, ect... Only the base 10 numbers get symbols.

Well what would you call it then? It is unquestionably SOMETHING ten. I can describe "Octal Roman" and I'd bet most people could guess exactly how that would work.

Algr said:
Well what would you call it then?

No idea.

Let's say the romans used powers of 10 for their symbols. The symbols itself used base 10, because their values are 10x (and 5* 10x). This is not the decimal system.
dlgoff said:
What the ...? Was zum Te...?
The key you use to write \ or |.

Likes dlgoff
micromass said:
No idea.

Then it is called base ten. There is no reason that a non-positional system can't have a base.

Algr said:
Then it is called base ten. There is no reason that a non-positional system can't have a base.

Just because it doesn't have a name doesn't mean that you can just use a name for it that is already in existence and means something different!

Sure it does. Base is more inclusive then you thought, and all your base belong to us.

Likes zoobyshoe
I suppose Light Years are a few nice real standard. As well as units to measure things discovered less then 200 years ago. (Volts, Gs)

Algr said:
I suppose Light Years are a few nice real standard.
Astronomers consider light years uncool. They prefer parsecs.

An interesting video about the lack of worldwide standards

Related to Thankful for Worldwide standards

1. What are worldwide standards and why are they important?

Worldwide standards refer to a set of guidelines or criteria that are universally accepted and implemented across different countries or regions. These standards are important because they promote consistency, efficiency, and safety in various industries and practices, such as manufacturing, trade, and healthcare.

2. How are worldwide standards developed and who is responsible for creating them?

Worldwide standards are typically developed by international organizations, such as the International Organization for Standardization (ISO) or the International Electrotechnical Commission (IEC). These organizations gather input from experts and stakeholders from different countries to create and update standards that meet the needs and requirements of a global market.

3. What are some examples of worldwide standards?

Some examples of worldwide standards include ISO 9001 for quality management, ISO 14001 for environmental management, and ISO 27001 for information security management. Other examples include IEC 60601 for medical equipment, IEC 61000 for electromagnetic compatibility, and IEC 62443 for industrial cybersecurity.

4. How do worldwide standards benefit businesses and consumers?

Worldwide standards benefit businesses by providing a common set of guidelines and requirements that help improve efficiency, reduce costs, and increase market access. For consumers, these standards ensure that products and services meet certain quality and safety standards, providing peace of mind and protection.

5. Can worldwide standards change over time?

Yes, worldwide standards are constantly evolving and being updated to reflect changes in technology, industry practices, and global needs. It is important for businesses and individuals to stay informed about these changes and comply with the latest versions of standards to maintain their competitiveness and ensure safety and quality.

Back