Texts on Tensor-Based Physics: Classical Mechanics, Electrodynamics, & GR

• Thread starter Reedeegi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, there are several recommended texts for classical mechanics, electrodynamics, and general relativity that utilize tensors and geometry heavily. These include "Mathematical Methods of Classical Mechanics" by V. I. Arnold, "Foundations of Mechanics" by Marsden, "Introduction to Mechanics and Symmetry" by Marsden and Raitu, "The Formal Structure of Electromagnetics" by Post, and any book on Rational Mechanics by Truesdell or others. However, there is also interest in finding a book on general relativity that does not rely heavily on tensors and geometry.
Reedeegi
What texts are there that cover classical mechanics, electrodynamics, and general relativity utilizing tensors and geometry almost exclusively? I've had a tough time finding such a book...

Physics news on Phys.org
Is there any text on general relativity that does not heavily use tensors and geometry?

Is there any text on general relativity that does not heavily use tensors and geometry?

I have Carroll and Wald, but I'm interested on learning Mechanics utilizing the same language, if there has been such a formulation.

"Mathematical Methods of Classical Mechanics" by V. I. Arnold

Also, Foundations of Mechanics by Marsden, which is available for free here. This books uses differential geometry very heavily.

Marsden also wrote a book on mechanics with Raitu, Introduction to Mechanics and Symmetry.

For electromagnetics, I'd recommned "The Formal Structure of Electromagnetics" by Post. Also, for mechanics, Marsden and Hughes "Mathematical Foundations of Elasticity", any book on Rational Mechanics (Truesdell, etc)

Related to Texts on Tensor-Based Physics: Classical Mechanics, Electrodynamics, & GR

1. What is tensor-based physics?

Tensor-based physics is a mathematical framework used to describe the laws of classical mechanics, electrodynamics, and general relativity. It is based on the use of tensors, which are mathematical objects that represent physical quantities and their relationships.

2. How is tensor-based physics applied in classical mechanics?

In classical mechanics, tensor-based physics is used to describe the motion of objects in a three-dimensional space. It allows for the calculation of forces, accelerations, and other physical quantities involved in the motion of objects.

3. What role does tensor-based physics play in electrodynamics?

In electrodynamics, tensor-based physics is used to describe the behavior of electric and magnetic fields. It allows for the calculation of electric and magnetic forces, as well as the propagation of electromagnetic waves.

4. How does tensor-based physics relate to general relativity?

In general relativity, tensor-based physics is the mathematical framework used to describe the theory. It is used to describe the curvature of spacetime, the behavior of matter and energy, and the nature of gravity.

5. What are the benefits of using tensor-based physics?

Tensor-based physics allows for a unified and consistent description of physical phenomena in classical mechanics, electrodynamics, and general relativity. It also allows for the prediction of new phenomena and has been crucial in the development of modern theories in physics.