In summary, the conversation involves a person seeking suggestions for textbooks on specific mathematical topics. They have already received some suggestions and are considering Engineering Mathematics by Stroud, but are open to other recommendations. The person making the suggestions is not an engineering graduate, but has a background in marketing and is currently studying physics. They have personally used and recommend Stroud's books for their straightforward explanations and starting from the basics. Another person also provides some book recommendations, but the original person has not yet had a chance to look at them.
Soumalya
Hi,
I need suggestions for picking up some standard textbooks for the following set of topics as given below:

Ordinary and singular points of linear differential equations

Series solutions of linear homogenous differential equations about ordinary and regular singular points

Hyper-geometric, Legendre and Bessel functions

Chebyshev, Hermite and Legendre polynomials and their properties

I need books that would clear me the concepts with little hassle or confusion and which are really easy to follow as self teaching guides.

Any suggestion would be highly appreciable!

Physics news on Phys.org
Soumalya said:
Hi,
I need suggestions for picking up some standard textbooks for the following set of topics as given below:

Ordinary and singular points of linear differential equationsSeries solutions of linear homogenous differential equations about ordinary and regular singular pointsHyper-geometric, Legendre and Bessel functionsChebyshev, Hermite and Legendre polynomials and their properties

I need books that would clear me the concepts with little hassle or confusion and which are really easy to follow as self teaching guides.

Any suggestion would be highly appreciable!
Have you checked out the books already suggested?

Likes Soumalya
I have myself worked through Engineering Mathematics (Stroud) and I'm half-way through Advanced Engineering Mathematics (Stroud). These two books cover many of the things you mention above and the author explains the concepts in a very straightforward way, no prior knowledge on the topics is needed.

Likes Soumalya
Evo said:
Have you checked out the books already suggested?

If you are talking about the list of suggested textbooks it's exhaustive and I am actually confused as to which one to pick to get started.Could you suggest one?

astrobird said:
I have myself worked through Engineering Mathematics (Stroud) and I'm half-way through Advanced Engineering Mathematics (Stroud). These two books cover many of the things you mention above and the author explains the concepts in a very straightforward way, no prior knowledge on the topics is needed.

Thanks astrobird!

If I guess it correctly are you an engineer graduate?
I was considering Kresyszig but now I would take a look at Stroud.

Welcome!
No, I'm not an engineer graduate, actually I have a degree in Marketing but I want to study physics now which means I need to understand the math too :) My level of math knowledge was quite limited before I started, which is one of the reasons I chose Stroud, as especially the first book starts with the very basics. I read a lot of review about these books on Amazon at the time and people were quite positive so it seemed like the right choice and for me it works fine. I can't comment on Kresyszig or any other book I'm afraid, I only tried Stroud so far when it comes to math.

Likes Soumalya

Related to TextBooks for Some Topics in Mathematics

1. What topics in mathematics are typically covered in textbooks?

Textbooks for mathematics cover a wide range of topics, including algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and probability. Some textbooks may also cover topics such as number theory, discrete mathematics, and differential equations.

2. How do I choose the right textbook for a specific topic in mathematics?

The best way to choose a textbook for a specific topic in mathematics is to first identify your learning goals and the level of difficulty you are comfortable with. Then, research and compare different textbooks based on their content, approach, and reviews from other users. It is also helpful to consult with a teacher or mentor for recommendations.

3. Are there any online resources for accessing textbooks on specific topics in mathematics?

Yes, there are many online resources that provide access to textbooks on specific topics in mathematics, both for free and for purchase. Some popular options include Amazon, Chegg, and OpenStax. It is important to make sure that the online resource is reputable and that the textbook is the correct edition and version.

4. Is it necessary to purchase the latest edition of a mathematics textbook?

It is not always necessary to purchase the latest edition of a mathematics textbook. While newer editions may have updated content and examples, the core concepts and principles remain the same. If budget is a concern, purchasing an older edition or renting the textbook may be a viable option.

5. How can I make the most out of using a textbook for learning mathematics?

To make the most out of using a textbook for learning mathematics, it is important to actively engage with the material. This can include taking notes, solving practice problems, and seeking clarification on any confusing concepts. It is also helpful to work with others, such as a study group or tutor, to discuss and reinforce the material.