Textbook's Adiabatic Derivation

In summary, for an adiabatic process, all three variables in the ideal gas law (P, V, and T) change. The infinitesimal work done by the gas is W=PdV, not W=PdV+VdV. This is because VdP is not considered work, and the fact that both P and V are changing does not affect this.
cj
My textbook says, basically, for an adiabatic process...
  • All three variables in the ideal gas law—P, V, and T—change during an adiabatic process.
  • Let’s imagine an adiabatic gas process involving an infinitesimal change in volume dV and an accompanying infinitesimal change in temperature dT. The work done by the gas is W=PdV.
Question: if P, V, and T are all changing, should the infinitesimal work be: W=PdV+VdV and not simply W=PdV

I've seen pretty much the same treatment in other textbooks and online, and finally decided to try to find out hat I'm missing here. Any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
cj said:
My textbook says, basically, for an adiabatic process...
  • All three variables in the ideal gas law—P, V, and T—change during an adiabatic process.
  • Let’s imagine an adiabatic gas process involving an infinitesimal change in volume dV and an accompanying infinitesimal change in temperature dT. The work done by the gas is W=PdV.
Question: if P, V, and T are all changing, should the infinitesimal work be: W=PdV+VdV and not simply W=PdV

I've seen pretty much the same treatment in other textbooks and online, and finally decided to try to find out hat I'm missing here. Any ideas?

PV work is PdV. VdV is Volume^2, which is not work. Did you mean VdP instead? As Chester Miller has discussed in another recent thread, VdP is not work -- i.e. heating or cooling a gas in a closed, constant volume container does no work. The piston on the old train moves as the steam does work...

Perhaps you are bothered that P and V are both changing..?? This is just like any other integration of a non-constant function.

Yes and yes!

Yes, I did mean to type VdP rather than VdV. And yes, I can see how VdP is not work. Thank you very much, this is very helpful!

Related to Textbook's Adiabatic Derivation

1. What is the concept of adiabatic derivation?

The adiabatic derivation refers to the process of deriving equations that describe the behavior of a system when there is no transfer of heat or matter between the system and its surroundings. This is a useful tool in thermodynamics and fluid mechanics to analyze the behavior of systems under changing conditions.

2. What are the assumptions made in an adiabatic derivation?

There are three main assumptions made in an adiabatic derivation: 1) the system is completely isolated, meaning there is no heat or matter exchange with the surroundings, 2) the process is reversible, meaning the system can be returned to its initial state without any changes to its surroundings, and 3) the system is in a state of thermodynamic equilibrium, meaning its properties are constant throughout.

3. How is the adiabatic derivation different from the isothermal derivation?

The main difference between adiabatic and isothermal derivation lies in the assumptions made. While adiabatic derivation assumes no heat transfer, isothermal derivation assumes constant temperature. Additionally, adiabatic processes are typically irreversible, while isothermal processes can be reversible or irreversible.

4. What are some real-world applications of adiabatic processes?

Adiabatic processes are commonly seen in the operation of gas turbines and jet engines, where the air is compressed and heated through adiabatic compression, and then expanded through adiabatic expansion to generate thrust. Adiabatic processes are also important in meteorology, as they play a role in the formation of clouds and thunderstorms.

5. How is the adiabatic derivation used in the study of thermodynamics?

The adiabatic derivation is used to analyze the behavior of systems under changing conditions, particularly in thermodynamic processes. It allows scientists to calculate important quantities such as work, heat, and internal energy, and understand how these quantities change as the system undergoes adiabatic processes. This is essential in the study of thermodynamics and its applications in various fields.