Textbook for String Theory beginners

In summary: I think the best advice though is to learn QFT first. Peskin & Schroeder has been the canonical QFT book for years and is an excellent place to start, particularly given the amount of related material you can find online.
Hyperreality
I am an undergraduate physics major in my last year of undergraduate study. I'm very intersted in string theory, any recommended textbooks?

Currently I found

First Course in String Theory by Barton Zwebach

Special Relativity: From Einstein to Strings by John Schwarz and Patricia Schwarz

Both seemed pretty good. I really like the first one.

Physics news on Phys.org
I've read that Zweibach's book is the best one to begin:

http://www.ma.utexas.edu/users/stirling/index.html

If you want to start learning String Theory then I recommend FIRST Zweibach's book. Most will guide you to Green, Schwartz, and Witten... or otherwise to Polchinski. I cannot say that I learned too much from these books except AFTER reading Zweibach, but then again I am not a string theorist (p.s. if you want to read Polchinski then you will need to learn Conformal Field Theory - there is a good review written by Ginsparg on the arxiv, and Di Francesco has an encyclopedia about CFT as well).

I'll be pedatic, but maybe you would take a look on field theory too: do you know Ramond's book?
"Field Theory: A Modern Primer", Addison/Wesley, 1981

Have fun!

ps: I can't ought to refrain converting you...
A little act to save you soul: read this! o:)
o:) http://arxiv.org/abs/hep-th/0310077

Last edited by a moderator:
francesca said:
I've read that Zweibach's book is the best one to begin:

I'll be pedatic, but maybe you would take a look on field theory too: do you know Ramond's book?
"Field Theory: A Modern Primer", Addison/Wesley, 1981

Have fun!

ps: I can't ought to refrain converting you...
A little act to save you soul: read this! o:)
o:) http://arxiv.org/abs/hep-th/0310077

Ramond's book is excellent for what it says - field theory, and especially if you're more interested in how the math works rather than learning to calculate practical amplitudes. His dissection of dimensional regularization is classic - moving integration contours around in the complex plane to get the poles of your integrand where you want them.

But wouldn't Ramond be kind of a detour for somebody who wants to hew to the line that leads to string theory?

selfAdjoint said:
But wouldn't Ramond be kind of a detour for somebody who wants to hew to the line that leads to string theory?
Yes, it is. Back to the origins... :biggrin:

Hyperreality said:
I am an undergraduate physics major in my last year of undergraduate study. I'm very intersted in string theory, any recommended textbooks?

Currently I found

First Course in String Theory by Barton Zwebach

Special Relativity: From Einstein to Strings by John Schwarz and Patricia Schwarz

Both seemed pretty good. I really like the first one.

Zwiebach is excellent and is actually understandable (for part of it at least) by undergraduates. Even if you will ultimately need to learn QFT in depth if you want to do string theory, don't delay reading Zwiebach's book, it will teach you a lot!

Zwiebach's is quite a commendable book. However, I've often felt that he goes into *far* too much detail over the simpler aspects. I think that if you can work your way through chapters two and three (but particularly chapter two) of Green, Schwarz, and Witten, you'll have a good introduction to the subject. Clifford Johnson's book is good too, although it gets very difficult after the third or fourth chapter.

I think the best advice though is to learn QFT first. Peskin & Schroeder has been the canonical QFT book for years and is an excellent place to start, particularly given the amount of related material you can find online.

Related to Textbook for String Theory beginners

1. What is String Theory?

String Theory is a theoretical framework that attempts to unify all the fundamental forces of nature by postulating that everything in the universe is made up of tiny, vibrating strings instead of point-like particles.

2. Why is String Theory important?

String Theory is important because it has the potential to provide a deeper understanding of the universe and the laws that govern it. It also has the potential to unify the theories of general relativity and quantum mechanics.

3. Who developed String Theory?

String Theory was developed by a group of theoretical physicists in the 1960s, including Gabriele Veneziano, Leonard Susskind, and Yoichiro Nambu. The most well-known version of String Theory, called Superstring Theory, was developed in the 1980s by Michael Green and John Schwarz.

4. Is String Theory proven?

No, String Theory is still a theoretical framework and has not been proven. However, many physicists believe that it has the potential to be proven in the future with further research and experimentation.

5. Can anyone understand String Theory?

Yes, anyone with a basic understanding of physics and mathematics can learn the fundamentals of String Theory. However, it is a complex and abstract theory, so it may take time and effort to fully comprehend its concepts and implications.