Textbook about Perturbation Theory

In summary, the conversation is about finding a textbook or platform to learn more about perturbation theory, specifically applied to helium and in a time-dependent context. The person mentions using Resnick's and Wolfgang's books and asks for recommendations.
Fips
Hi

I was hoping someone could advise me on a textbook/platform where I can learn more about the perturbation theory applied to helium and the perturbation theory time depedant. Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Fips said:
Hi

I was hoping someone could advise me on a textbook/platform where I can learn more about the perturbation theory applied to helium and the perturbation theory time depedant. Thanks

Almost every quantum mechanics textbook has a couple of chapters on perturbation theory. Are you looking for anything more specific?

@noir1993 Well there's a lot of things I still don't understand and don't even know if they're related, like if the varational method is used for a perturbated state, on which occasion we consider an event a perturbation to the system...
Currently I'm using Resnick's and Wolfgang's books. Do you reccomend them? Thanks

Related to Textbook about Perturbation Theory

What is perturbation theory?

Perturbation theory is a mathematical method used to approximate the solutions of a complex problem by breaking it down into simpler, solvable parts. It is often used in physics and engineering to analyze systems that have small deviations from a known solution.

What are the applications of perturbation theory?

Perturbation theory has a wide range of applications, including in quantum mechanics, celestial mechanics, fluid dynamics, and electronics. It is also used in the study of chaos and non-linear systems.

What are the limitations of perturbation theory?

Perturbation theory is based on the assumption that the perturbation, or deviation from the known solution, is small. This means that it may not be accurate for systems with large perturbations. Additionally, it may not work for systems with strong non-linearities or when the perturbation is not well-defined.

How is perturbation theory used in quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, perturbation theory is used to approximate the energy levels and wavefunctions of a system that has a small perturbation, such as an external electric or magnetic field. It allows for the calculation of these quantities without having to solve the Schrodinger equation exactly.

What are the different types of perturbation theory?

There are two main types of perturbation theory: time-independent and time-dependent. Time-independent perturbation theory is used when the perturbation is constant, while time-dependent perturbation theory is used when the perturbation varies with time. There are also higher-order perturbation theories that take into account larger perturbations and multiple perturbations simultaneously.