Testing sequence for boundaries and monotony

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem from a practice test that involves determining if a sequence is bounded and if it is decreasing or increasing. The problem involves analyzing the behavior of the function f(x)=arcsin(1/x)/arctan(1/x) as x->infinity and using l'Hopital's rule and showing the sign of f'(x) for x>1. The conversation provides a definition for bounded and monotonic sequences to help get started on the problem.
Juan Pablo
I'm trying to solve a problem from a practice test I was given. It says. Determine if the sequence is bounded and if it's decreasing or increasing:
[tex]a = \frac{arcsin(1/n)}{arctan(1/n)}[/tex]

I don't really know where to start as I don't remember seeing how to test sequences for boundaries or anything like that and there's nothing on my book saying how to test it in the sequences chapter.

If anyone is interested, the practice test: http://profesores.usfq.edu.ec/valen/departamentomatematicas/files/exapractica/prac_destr_mat132/index.htm

Spanish, sorry

Any hint?

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The problem is really asking you about the behavior of the function f(x)=arcsin(1/x)/arctan(1/x) as x->infinity. The bounded part involves showing whether lim f(x) as x->infinity has a limit. Do you know l'Hopital's rule? For the monotone part can you show f'(x) has a constant sign for x>1? I think that's the hard part. I don't think it's a terribly easy problem.

Last edited:
Hi Juan Pablo

bounded from above means there exists some N such that an < N for all n

the sequence is monotonically increasing if an-an-1>0 for all n

hope this helps you get started

Thanks to you both. I helped a lot!

Related to Testing sequence for boundaries and monotony

1. What is the purpose of testing sequence for boundaries and monotony?

The purpose of testing sequence for boundaries and monotony is to determine if a sequence of numbers or data points follows a specific pattern or rule, and to identify any outliers or boundary cases that may affect the validity of the data.

2. How is testing sequence for boundaries and monotony performed?

Testing sequence for boundaries and monotony is typically performed by analyzing the sequence and looking for any deviations from the expected pattern. This can be done manually or through the use of software tools and algorithms.

3. What are some common boundary and monotony testing techniques?

Some common techniques for testing boundaries and monotony include boundary value analysis, equivalence partitioning, and monotonicity testing. These techniques involve systematically varying the input values and observing the output to identify any abnormalities.

4. Why is testing sequence for boundaries and monotony important in scientific research?

In scientific research, it is crucial to ensure that data is accurate and reliable. Testing sequence for boundaries and monotony helps to identify any errors or anomalies in the data that could affect the validity of the research findings.

5. What are some potential challenges or limitations of testing sequence for boundaries and monotony?

One potential challenge of testing sequence for boundaries and monotony is that it can be time-consuming and labor-intensive, especially if the data set is large. Additionally, certain types of patterns or rules may be difficult to detect, making it challenging to accurately test for boundaries and monotony.