Testing Low Pass Optical Filter

In summary, the conversation discussed an optical low pass filter and its purpose of blurring images using birefringence. The speaker shared their experience of taking out such a filter from a digital camera and observing it to be similar to a piece of glass. They also mentioned passing a diode laser beam through it and not seeing a difference in the beam spot on the wall. The question of how to differentiate the filter from plain glass was also raised.
optotinker
An optical low pass filter is supposed to blur the image using birefringence. I took out an optical low pass filter from a digital camera where it is used for anti-aliasing purposes. The filter looks just like a piece of glass. I pass a diode laser beam through it and look at the beam spot on the wall. I was expecting it to be a bit larger than the laser spot without the filter. However I can't see any difference. How can I tell it apart from a piece of plain glass?

Science news on Phys.org
optotinker said:
An optical low pass filter is supposed to blur the image using birefringence. I took out an optical low pass filter from a digital camera where it is used for anti-aliasing purposes. The filter looks just like a piece of glass. I pass a diode laser beam through it and look at the beam spot on the wall. I was expecting it to be a bit larger than the laser spot without the filter. However I can't see any difference. How can I tell it apart from a piece of plain glass?
Are you talking about the IR filter in Digital Cameras?

No, I am talking about the anti-aliasing filter. Sometimes they are glued together with the IR filter but serve an entirely different purpose.

Related to Testing Low Pass Optical Filter

What is a low pass optical filter?

A low pass optical filter is a type of optical filter that allows low frequency light waves to pass through while blocking high frequency light waves.

What is the purpose of testing low pass optical filters?

The purpose of testing low pass optical filters is to ensure that they are functioning correctly and accurately filtering out high frequency light waves.

How is a low pass optical filter tested?

A low pass optical filter is typically tested by passing different frequencies of light through it and measuring the intensity of the light that passes through. This can be done using specialized equipment such as a spectrophotometer.

What are some common parameters used to evaluate the performance of a low pass optical filter?

Some common parameters used to evaluate the performance of a low pass optical filter include transmission, cut-on and cut-off frequencies, and edge steepness.

How can one ensure the accuracy and reliability of low pass optical filter testing results?

To ensure the accuracy and reliability of low pass optical filter testing results, it is important to use high quality equipment, perform multiple tests, and follow standardized testing procedures. It is also important to regularly calibrate and maintain the testing equipment.