Optics to act as a mirror or transparent medium depending on incident angle

In summary, the OP is looking for an optical piece that can act as a mirror when the angle of incidence is close to normal (90 degrees), but act as a see-through glass when the angle of incidence is less than 60 degrees. There may not be a perfect mirror or perfectly transmitting piece that meets all of the requirements, but there are alternatives that could work depending on the application.
nikosb
I am looking for an optical piece that can act as a mirror when the angle of incidence is close to normal (90 degrees) but acts as a see-through glass when the angle of incidence is less than 60 degrees?

Alternatively it can be a filter placed in front of a mirror that passes a lot of light at an angle of incidence close to normal but blocks light at an angle of incidence less than 60 degrees.

Is there such a thing?

Science news on Phys.org
Hi

I'm note 100% sure, but I don't think that there is something that can be a perfect mirror or perfectly transmitting depending of the AOI. In general this also depends on the wavelength of the incident light. For dielectric mirrors, they are coated with a coating designed for a special laser line or for a given bandwidth and for a defined AOI. Mostly for 0° or 45° AOI. But if you use such a mirror with for example R = 99,9% and designed for 0° AOI at a AOI of 45° and above, a certain amount of light won't be reflected and will be transmitted instead because the design condictions won't match anymore.

Maybe it might be good to know what you want to do?

Likes sophiecentaur
If enough layers are used in an interference filter, it can do exactly what you specify - in principle and for a narrow wavelength range. For use over the whole visible spectrum, problems could arise for angles near the transition between pass and stop angles. You could expect to get strong colouration effects here because the the red end could begin at a different angle from the blue end.

There is an alternative approach which could use the Critical Angle for Total Internal Reflection. (TIR) That could work but the 'mirror' would need to be at the appropriate angle. TIR works 'off axis' so you would get total transmission for normal incidence and total reflection beyond the critical angle. That's around 40 degrees but depends on the actual substance being used so you would need to be 'inventive' in your choice of actual angles ( the mirror would need to be tilted or would need to be in a box of some depth.

Yet another approach could involve the mirror being in a 'tunnel' with an aperture which could limit the angle range of the incoming light. Not a 'flat mirror' but it could do the job. Play with a small mirror and a cardboard box to see what I mean.

Likes Kajal Sengupta and BPHH85
TIR and prisms were my first thought as well but I wanted to ask on this forum in case there is another technology that I had not thought of.

The application involves the entire visible spectrum not just the a specific wavelength.

nikosb said:
TIR and prisms were my first thought as well but I wanted to ask on this forum in case there is another technology that I had not thought of.

The application involves the entire visible spectrum not just the a specific wavelength.
It would depend on the sort of image quality you're after. You could get away with a 'fresnel' technique with a lenticular mirror plus TIR if the viewer is going to be some distance away. Not easy to DIY that sort of manufacturing, I would imagine.
It's always worth kicking these things around. Sometimes (rarely, I must admit) a fresh view on a problem will hit pay dirt but it will more often bring up snags and save you significant time on line alleys.

As usual, it would be nice for PF if you keep us up to date with successes and failures. Third party, virtual. problems are good fun for some of us PF oldies.

nikosb said:
I am looking for an optical piece that can act as a mirror when the angle of incidence is close to normal (90 degrees) but acts as a see-through glass when the angle of incidence is less than 60 degrees?
Presumably you take a sheet of glass and silver the central area.

tech99 said:
Presumably you take a sheet of glass and silver the central area.
Haha. Or just a small mirror? I don't think that's what the OP had in mind but it's what an illusionist would do.

TIR would seem to be the answer, but would this effect need to work on a stationary observer, while the optics move, or a moving observer while the lense holds still? Also, will this be viewed in person, or through a camera or aperture?

LURCH said:
TIR would seem to be the answer, but would this effect need to work on a stationary observer, while the optics move, or a moving observer while the lense holds still? Also, will this be viewed in person, or through a camera or aperture?
If I am in a glass tank of water, as a goldfish, I can see out through a "porthole"; and each side of the hole the side of the tank behaves as a shiny mirror due to TIR. But the OP is asking for the opposite effect, which I cannot create without using meta materials to produce negative refractive index.

Likes sophiecentaur
tech99 said:
If I am in a glass tank of water, as a goldfish, I can see out through a "porthole"; and each side of the hole the side of the tank behaves as a shiny mirror due to TIR. But the OP is asking for the opposite effect, which I cannot create without using meta materials to produce negative refractive index.
Yes I did think of that and it need not be an issue if the 'mirror' needs to have no 'depth' to it or, as I suggested above, it has a lenticular / fresnel structure with stripes. A supplementary mirror strip would be needed to avoid the goldfish bowl effect, I think. I didn't;t draw it out, though and there could be a lateral inversion problem if the stripes are too wide.
We would need to know the exact requirement for a good solution.

nikosb said:

Alternatively it can be a filter placed in front of a mirror that passes a lot of light at an angle of incidence close to normal but blocks light at an angle of incidence less than 60 degrees.

Is there such a thing?

OP requests a lense or filter as for photography. Could this be solved by electronics assuming the light is collected and converted? Incident angle could be determined from comparing inputs with a 2nd sensor then attenuation applied automatically.

[Edit: Add term "Assume" as first word. Thanks, Sophie.]

Last edited:
Likes sophiecentaur
Klystron said:
OP requests a lense or filter as for photography.
Can we be sure of that? We need the OP to confirm that or give a fuller explanation of the problem, I think.

Likes Klystron
I'm thinking of the holograms on credit cards; where you see different pictures depending upon angle. Take two pictures
1) One a mirror
2) A black plate.
and place them in place of the "pictures".
I realize that this isn't quite what was asked but perhaps some variation? My knowledge of designing custom holograms is nil.

Related to Optics to act as a mirror or transparent medium depending on incident angle

1. What is the principle behind optics that allows it to act as a mirror or transparent medium depending on the incident angle?

The principle behind this phenomenon is known as the law of reflection. According to this law, when light rays strike a smooth surface, they reflect off at an angle equal to the angle of incidence, with the incident ray, the reflected ray, and the normal (perpendicular) to the surface all lying in the same plane. This allows for the light to either be reflected as a mirror or pass through as a transparent medium, depending on the angle at which it strikes the surface.

2. How does the angle of incidence affect the behavior of light on an optical surface?

The angle of incidence determines whether light will be reflected or transmitted through an optical surface. When the angle of incidence is smaller than the critical angle, the light will be transmitted through the surface. However, when the angle of incidence is larger than the critical angle, the light will be reflected off the surface instead of passing through it.

3. What is the critical angle and how is it related to the refractive index of a material?

The critical angle is the angle of incidence at which light is refracted at an angle of 90 degrees, meaning it is just on the verge of being totally internally reflected. It is related to the refractive index of a material by the equation sin(critical angle) = 1/n, where n is the refractive index of the material. This means that as the refractive index of a material increases, the critical angle decreases, making it easier for light to be totally internally reflected.

4. Can the same optical surface act as both a mirror and a transparent medium at the same time?

No, the same optical surface cannot act as both a mirror and a transparent medium at the same time. This is because the behavior of light on an optical surface is determined by the angle of incidence, so it can either be reflected or transmitted, but not both simultaneously.

5. How is the behavior of light on an optical surface affected by the smoothness or roughness of the surface?

The smoothness of an optical surface is crucial in determining how light will behave on it. A smooth surface allows for light to be reflected or transmitted without any scattering, resulting in a clear image. On the other hand, a rough surface will scatter the light in different directions, making it difficult to produce a clear image and reducing the efficiency of the optical surface.